Thread: scope ?

scope ?

Scope shopping. Before I pull the trigger on a Golden Eagle any others out there I should consider. Looking at only used as I refuse to give new prices. Seems bang for the buck the Eagle is pretty good at around 1000-1200. Plenty of F class guys still run them. Dont seem to be the best but seem to get good reviews. We arent buying a March today lol

Any other options in that price range you would think about.

I am not an F class guy but have owned Vortex scopes as well as Zeiss, Swarovski, Meopta, Leupold and a few others. My last scopes for a pair of 223s that I want to get out to 1000 yds I bought were a Zeiss V4 6-24 and an Athlon 4-20. The Athlon rivals the higher priced Zeiss in clarity, brightness and dialing. I would seriously look at The Athlon Ares ETR 15-60x56. Same warranty as Vortex too. Call Doug or Neil at Camera Land NY to get more information and great prices too.

https://athlonoptics.com/product/are...r1-sfp-ir-moa/

What are you shooting?
    Last edited by 06 SB; 02-11-2024 at 09:15 AM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Euro Optics is closing out their Bushnell XTR II scopes right now. Probably the best bang for the buck in their category. Especially with the ridiculous pricing currently:

https://www.eurooptic.com/burris-xtr...oa-201052.aspx

Have purchased a number of items from them, including scopes and rifles. They are good to go.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    I am not an F class guy but have owned Vortex scopes as well as Zeiss, Swarovski, Meopta, Leupold and a few others. My last scopes for a pair of 223s that I want to get out to 1000 yds I bought were a Zeiss V4 6-24 and an Athlon 4-20. The Athlon rivals the higher priced Zeiss in clarity, brightness and dialing. I would seriously look at The Athlon Ares ETR 15-60x56. Same warranty as Vortex too. Call Doug or Neil at Camera Land NY to get more information and great prices too.

https://athlonoptics.com/product/are...r1-sfp-ir-moa/

What are you shooting?

Starting into F-open.

I have not looked into the Athlon but I will do so.

5. Member
    I dont know fclass and what scope particulars are important there. Assuming the scope itself is similar in need to practical precision stuff, I’d be looking at a used nightforce, I see them a bit over your budget but not too much, and they’ll hold their value better than about anything else I know of. A trijicon tenmile is another option that can be had around that price used that Id look for. If you end up looking at the athlon you should be able to find a cronus btr inside your price range, thats their top of the line scope and is comparable in quality and footprint to a Razor HD G2.

Is golden eagle a 15-60x? Thats a lot of scope. Not too many others in that category just magnification-wise, def not in that price range. Reading a bit it sounds like
    nearly everyone is using 2nd focal plane scopes and super high magnification, 2 things I have no use for in a big riflescope, so any of the above suggestions are maybe off the table for you being ffp.
    Last edited by MacIntosh; 02-13-2024 at 07:28 PM.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MacIntosh View Post
    I dont know fclass and what scope particulars are important there. Assuming the scope itself is similar in need to practical precision stuff, I’d be looking at a used nightforce, I see them a bit over your budget but not too much, and they’ll hold their value better than about anything else I know of. A trijicon tenmile is another option that can be had around that price used that Id look for. If you end up looking at the athlon you should be able to find a cronus btr inside your price range, thats their top of the line scope and is comparable in quality and footprint to a Razor HD G2.

Is golden eagle a 15-60x? Thats a lot of scope. Not too many others in that category just magnification-wise, def not in that price range. Reading a bit it sounds like
    nearly everyone is using 2nd focal plane scopes and super high magnification, 2 things I have no use for in a big riflescope, so any of the above suggestions are maybe off the table for you being ffp.
    The TenMile is now big on my list. Nightforce does have a "Comp" model I think which is used a lot but a bit out of my $$ range. GE it seems the sorta entry guys F class scope as they seem to get pretty descent reviews. Not great but not bad at anything is what I keep being told.

I was gonna jump on the GE but since they are out there pretty much all the time im going to hold a bit and see if a ten mile pops up.

I just bought my boy a strike eagle 4x24x50. It's mrad and has illuminated reticles. Heck of a nice scope for the $.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yetti462 View Post
    I just bought my boy a strike eagle 4x24x50. It's mrad and has illuminated reticles. Heck of a nice scope for the $.
    I have a strike eagle now. IT is a nice scope.

Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    I have a strike eagle now. IT is a nice scope.
    We zeroed it today, I'm thinking I need one too.

I shoot a Vortex Strike Eagle on my precision 22’s. For the money I think they’re fantastic !! I like the small dot for 50/100 groups. Cross hairs are not to thick. Kahles on everything else for me….
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com