Scott's Turf Builder Triple Action

I take care of my lawn and fertilize regularly. That means a pre-emergent in the spring, weed and feed late spring/early summer, grub control, and then a fall/winterizing feeding. I tend to use Scott's mainly because of the consistency of the material and spreader settings but I have also used other brands with good results.

Last year I got a bag of Scott's Turf Builder Triple Action as part of a promotion but never used it. This year I have enough Lesco pre-emergent left over from last year to do most of the property but I am a bag short. I remembered that I had the Triple Action and was thinking about using it in the back area so I looked it up online to see what people had to say about it.

I was very surprised at the number of negative reviews. Many were based on the grass being killed and turning brown. I think most negative reviews are due to operator error and this sounds like putting down too much product or using it on fragile grass, but the sheer number of them (about a third!) makes me hesitant to use it.

Has anyone who has used Triple Action care to share experiences?
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

2. Member
    One thing I’ve observed over my 30 year’s of doing pest control in Florida, most DIY folks DO NOT read the label on the products they use. As long as you apply the product according to label and understand the Active Ingredients of said product and know the difference types of grasses and weeds that it can be used on you will be just fine.

3. Member
    I used it last year and had good results I plan on using again if I can find it.
    Bass Boat
    Powered by an outboard
    Electronics at helm and up front
    Pulled by my truck

4. Member
    At my age I'd rather pave it and paint it green. Used to mow grass in a small town not a single one of the 14 properties had a level yard. Hate mowing , waste of time.

Scott’s Bonus S has always done very well on the St Augustine down here.

Have a few folks I know in the lawncare biz. They all seem to not like Scotts. I use scotts, because costco sells it.

7. Member
    Best my lawn has ever looked is when I put 18-6-12 fertilizer on it
    2007 Bass Cat Puma
    2007 Mercury Pro XS 250

I always think that the reviews on line for most anything are skewed negatively. Those that are pissed off are the ones that take the time to knock the product.
    MCPO

I never backlash, but each time I go fishing I practice fixing them, just in case I ever do really backlash.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    I don’t know why this product would kill grass unless way over applied, pretty standard ingredients although I prefer to apply broadleaf herbicides as a spray instead of a granule. If I had it sitting in my garage I’d use it.

10. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    I take care of my lawn but not a fan of Scotts. Seems way overpriced to other similar products out there
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

11. Member
    I e used Scott’s for 30yrs on the same yard and never had an issue.! My only complaint is grass grows too fast and it don’t kill quite enough weeds for me.! But I still use it as my base.!

12. Member
    I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s better for my yard to pay a company to do the fertilization. I always start out great then miss an application or I’m late with grub control. Costs me about 50 bucks more than I could buy the stuff for myself. The only thing I do is keep a spray bottle of weed killer on my riding lawnmower and treat weeds as I find them when mowing. My yard is looking better then it ever has.
    John the Garage Doorman

13. Member
    Follow the directions and you will be fine. A little less is always better than a little too much.

I'd love to see all of it outlawed except for necessary food production applications. The damage that shit does to our waters for the sake of aesthetics is inexcusable.
    Ranting incoherently