Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

At the end of my rope with 96 200 EFI SN - (OG 385015)

This has been going on for years. Start and idles fine. Gets up on plane okay and runs wide open fine. Runs like crap (Seems rich) any where below 4k rpm. Everything has been gone through and checks out good (Stator, packs, coils, voltage regulators, wires plugs, fuel pump in VST good and diaphragm pump, fuel lines all new motor to tank. Fuel (premix) is clean. Injectors have been flow tested, injector harness swapped... The only thing that hasn't been checked individually are the reeds. Can it possibly be the reeds? I changed the ECU also. Brocato said the original had a bad #3 driver from what I recall. I'm down to either reeds or the replacement ECU has the exact same problem. Tempted to locate carb setup. TIA!!!

Have you done the full link n synch, getting tps adjusted and all that? There are some resistance checks you can do to check the temp sensors too. Those are all easier things to check than the reeds before you start tearing it down.
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

3. Member
    when you pulled injectors to have them "flow tested'' didnt you inspect reeds ???? modules removed ????? cyl head and air temp must be verified
    Last edited by JOE54; 02-13-2024 at 08:10 AM.
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    Checked for a loose exhaust tuner?
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Also- check fuel pressure throughout the entire run. Watch for any signs of elevated fuel pressure when you come off the throttle to "4K and below" and the engine is running mega rich.

Verify the overflow and the fuel pressure hoses are correctly connected (overflow goes to the nipple with holes in it).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Silverbullet02 I am assuming that the last mechanic who had it did. He is a very well respected in rebuilds and high performance applications. He had some kind of diagnostic tool that pinpoints sensor problems. I don't think that he ran it in the midrange much, if at all though. I've trying to get back with him to run it again, but no luck. He had also mentioned putting a Brucato ECU on it and testing, but he's a one man show and difficult to pin down.
    Last edited by lilred; 02-14-2024 at 12:45 PM.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    when you pulled injectors to have them "flow tested'' didnt you inspect reeds ???? modules removed ????? cyl head and air temp must be verified
    Just a quick visual, but didn't go that far in.

8. Member
    All good ideas and points. I do appreciate the input from everyone. To be continued....

9. Member
    RED these days i wouldn't assume anything , last year i saw a fresh rebuild by a hotrodder had one cyl wiped down with acid and piston put in and sold , im a one man too i return as many as 30 calls a day just how i roll ........ JOE
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

10. Member
    So, after years of troubleshooting and 5 "mechanics", I think I've narrowed it down to the ECU's. Yes, plural. I have a replacement from a friends old 200 EFI that blew up or burnt up on him. Anyway, The original was sent to Brucato who stated it had a bad #3 injector driver. I found a mechanic that has a known, fully functional ECU try his and he said all appears good. I will run it and find out for sure this weekend. Question is, do I have Simon' repair one of mine ($800 minimum) or cough up $1800 est. W/taxes for a Brucato on a fishing motor. Hmmm!
    Last edited by lilred; 03-21-2024 at 11:23 PM.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Repair the OEM ECU with new drivers and be done with it.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

^^^^^^^ Plus 1
    Thank You Leon Pugh

13. Member
    That's what I needed to hear guys. Just hoping Simon will accept Brucato's diagnosis and not charge another $95.

Thank you

14. Member
    That's what I needed to hear guys. Just hoping Simon will accept Brucato's diagnosis and not charge another $95.

Thank you

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    Checked for a loose exhaust tuner?
    Not within the years that had the problem but definitely has the symptoms. Always very rich in the mid range. First thing that should be checked, can save lots of time and money.

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiejake View Post
    Not within the years that had the problem but definitely has the symptoms. Always very rich in the mid range. First thing that should be checked, can save lots of time and money.
    Jake... I've seen plenty of those loose in the can. Can happen with virtually ANY 2.0, 2.4 or 2.5L.

17. Member
    Well, I had another mechanic put a good ECU on it and it seemed to clean up everything. But he idled it down a little too much. He said I could access the idle from the front side between the VST and injector housing with a long skinny flathead so I figured not problem. Sent my ECU to Simon and they changed all FI drivers. Got it back and put it on. It fired up but still wouldn't idle so I began trying to tackle that issue. The only adjustment without changing the timing lingage is a small screw with a teflon lined lock nut but has to be accessed from the side and rear and makes adjustment to the butterflys. I'll look at again tonight. It did seem very responsive when operating with the throttle cable disconnected on a hose. Hoping for an end to this saga. I'll let yall know.

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Look between the VST and Intake (Fuel Management). There's a stop screw that can be accessed as you were told (LONG flathead screwdriver).

19. Member
    report back

20. Member
    Yep, found it right in front of my nose as you all said. Idle is now set at 800 rpm. It ran too rough at anything below. My tach is original and questionable anyway as you have to tap it occasionally when running. Found a pinhole leak on the idle exhaust boot. I've attempted to patch with electrical tape, covered with liquid tape until I can get another. I'm about to finish my work week and going run it tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast