88 XR4 Stator leads Question

Hi Guys, 1988 150hp XR4 (OB264398)
    No spark on one side and believe it's another switchbox but before I order one from Don I'm testing rectifier (new last year), stator and trigger.
    Does it matter which switchbox the stator leads connect to? Looking at mine I noticed (yellow jacket) Blue/white and red/white are connected to inner box
    and blue and red are conected to outer box. Meanwhile, everything else with (yellow jacket) is connected to outer box. Should I change them?
    Also, should I change both boxes? Always thought you should.

Thank you,
    Paul
    Last edited by paulrodbender; 02-15-2024 at 05:51 PM.

2. Member
    yes and yes and yes white srp / yellow sleeves go on outside = 2,4,6 / red and blue > inside no yellow sleeve for 1,3,5
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Thank you sir. It didn’t look right to me but I wasn’t sure. I’ll switch them for sure.

4. Member
    just make sure all yellow sleeves stay together , originally yellow sleeves were on the outside with blue wht and red wht
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Will do… thanks
    should I replace both switchboxes? As these are only lasting a few months.

6. Member
    it is recommended and likely your problem , yes

Thanks again Joe. I've been battling switchbox issues for about 3 years now so decided this winter to do it myself. I'm not even sure what I have in there now, may be amazon ones so I'll feel better changing both.

Guys, sorry but another question..... Getting back to this project and doing the stator test with ohm meter (fluke 78) and my readings are as follows.
    blue to red leads = 4.066
    blue/wht to red/wht = 4.038
    red lead to grnd = 062.8
    red/wht to grnd = 062.8

Are those numbers low? thought it should be 5.400 - 6.200 on the lead to lead and 125 - 175 on the red and red/wht leads to grnd.

Thank you,
    Paul

9. Member
    do seem low ,temps can effect readings , i dont see your stator as the problem here

Thanks Joe ........ Changing boxes.