Getting Back into Shotgunning. Buy my old gun or get a newer model

It's been 30 years since I've owned a gun. I'm looking to buy a shotgun and have found myself looking at the one I last had and sold 30 years ago. My question is are guns like refrigerators? (the old ones are better and they don't make them like they used to?) My gun was a Remington 11-87 Sps in matte black. I have no clue where to even find one these days. Are there modern guns that are similar? I would be using the gun mainly for skeet shooting and home protection.

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-...ampaign=292797

Thanks!

2. Member
    Lots of new fancy shotguns on the market these days. Not may are any better than a nice old 1100. Be wary of newer offerings from Remington as the quality is not the same as their old stuff.

IMO shotguns were built better back in the day although the newer designs are better at digesting a wider range (power levels) of loads. If you are just going to be shooting clays or trap that is not really an issue as log as you get one made for lighter loads and not one made for heavy magnum loads.

FWIW when it comes to autoloading shotguns I still prefer THE old school auto 5. They fit me well and IMO the first successful model on the market is still the best.
    "the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..."

3. Member
    There are a lot of pretty guns in the gun racks but the quality and durability is suspect on some of them esp. if they're coming out of the middle east. You can still buy quality but you'll probably have to pay for it. If you find one that you like, google it for issues, flaws, and complaints. There's lots of forums out there and seeing the same issues come up multiple times should be a red flag.
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

Using the same shotgun to shoot clay birds and use as a home protection weapon probably won't work very well. That is unless you are buying a short smooth bore slug barrel to go along with the 26/28 inch regular barrel that will come on the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeet'r89 View Post
    Using the same shotgun to shoot clay birds and use as a home protection weapon probably won't work very well. That is unless you are buying a short smooth bore slug barrel to go along with the 26/28 inch regular barrel that will come on the gun.
    Have to agree with Larry. I like a longer barrel for shooting sports and a shorty for home defense. Sounds like a great excuse to buy two. Hard to beat a Browning Citori for skeet and sporting clays. A short barrel Mossberg, Winchester, Benelli, or Remington pump gun would be my choice for serious social situations.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeet'r89 View Post
    My 12 guage Benelli pump does all of that fine.

7. Member
    to the op, i shot 1100's for 40 years loved them, i retired and treated myself to a beautiful Beretta A400 its a great gun performed excellent but i could not get the hang of the safety in front of the trigger vs behind it......I sold the A400. In looking for a new gun watch for the little details it was major issue i thought i could adjust to i couldn't.....i am sure many could i couldn't

Quote Originally Posted by harrys View Post
    to the op, i shot 1100's for 40 years loved them, i retired and treated myself to a beautiful Beretta A400 its a great gun performed excellent but i could not get the hang of the safety in front of the trigger vs behind it......I sold the A400. In looking for a new gun watch for the little details it was major issue i thought i could adjust to i couldn't.....i am sure many could i couldn't
    they is the exact reason I don’t own a beretta S/A. I would recommend looking at Benelli. The safety is in the correct place and a wide range of models.

9. Member
    I have been considering the Benelli, when i decided to get a higher end gun they were the two i had on the counter and opted for the Beretta again beautiful gun performed great but that forward safety just threw me.....i hate to admit this but i actually miss fired the gun clicking off the safety and moving my finger back to the trigger, that was the deciding factor in selling the gun.

10. Member
    I own a 391 beretta and never noticed the safety in the front. I just googled it to see if that model has a front safety and it does. I am surprised I never noticed that as I hate using an 870 remington with the front release after spending so much time with Winchester and Mossberg pumps. One thing I do not like about it is the PLASTIC trigger guard. Looks out of place against the gold leaf hunting scene on the side.

I do not think I would ever purchase a Beretta or a Benelli auto new these days as they are asking too much for them. The internal parts are mostly stamped or MIM and do not justify the ridiculous prices they try to get these days. 20 years ago this was not really an issue.
    "the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..."

11. Member
    Benelli ultralight, browning silver are two of my favorites.

12. Member
    Get a used Browning Auto-5 and your gun problem is solved.

13. Member
    Thanks fellas. I've got some looking around to do! Maybe some gun shows to attend.

Paul, I bought an 1187 when I got into trap shooting. It is a heavy gun compared to some of the newer guns out now. I sold it and bought a Beretta A300 Outlander. Much lighter and the recoil was better than most semi's and break action guns, I think because of the gas action. I did sell it because I don't shoot trap anymore.
    BTW, the wood stocks are so much nicer than synthetic.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO