Thread: Basin

Basin

Is it that bad? Anyone been going? I haven’t been since last summer…. Is it worth a trip? Is it fishing well at all? Or Dead Sea? I love duck lake area but thinking about hitting old river area…

2. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Bay Wallace.....nuff said.

3. Member
    Our basin is in a bad way right now. Not a lot of fish to be caught .

4. Member
    Been terrible. Imwas fishimg next to group with livescope and they only had a few more than me

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
    Bay Wallace.....nuff said.
    I know bay Wallace well…. Haha.. (I actually used to catch fish in the real bay Wallace years ago…. It’s pretty funky nowadays..)

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunFlipper View Post
    Our basin is in a bad way right now. Not a lot of fish to be caught .
    Yeah I struggled last summer…. Launched 3 different launches and only caught 1 in a whole day on the south end…. Found a few stacked on a main intersection point in Williams canal/bayou long area but they were gone the next morning.. launched a couple days later farther north and found beautiful country but zero fish, zero bites in a whole day….

7. Member
    I’ll probably make the ride and spend a few days next week…. I have a couple theories I’d like to check…

8. Member
    No restocking for the future and no enforcement of the present. Can’t be but anything but bad.

9. Member
    Corn mealers from downtown BR have pretty much wiped it out.
    Respectfully,
    Captain Rab
    V1CO 1:27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the
    world to put to shame the wise; and God has
    chosen the weak things of the world to put to
    shame the things which are mighty

10. Member
    I agree no restocking hurts…. 30 years of tournaments every weekend catching bass inside the levees and releasing them on the verret side had done lots of damage.. then they pulled the size limit to finish it off…. That levee massacre a couple years ago was a nail in the coffin maybe..

I think water quality is a major issue for future populations…. Places I always caught fish seemed to be void of life my last couple trips…. Except them big carp sucking air by the thousands….

I can catch all the 1 pounders I can stand to catch in my lil marsh at home…. I just really want the basin to fish like it did the whole first half of my life!! I used to live and breathe atchafalaya spillway!!

11. Member
    They seem to have some water quality projects in the works. That will take a while however. They won’t restock though.
    Thankfully Cliff Crochet’s “ Every Fish Matters “ benefit is supplying some fingerlings to the basin’s waterways. Don’t know of any others being supplied and released there.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunFlipper View Post
    They seem to have some water quality projects in the works. That will take a while however. They won’t restock though.
    Thankfully Cliff Crochet’s “ Every Fish Matters “ benefit is supplying some fingerlings to the basin’s waterways. Don’t know of any others being supplied and released there.
    yeah I wish we could more folks and money involved to do that…. It’s safe to say that majority of those fingerlings went to certain areas maybe inside the basin, maybe not inside the basin, who knows!! Sadly, once they reach 8 or 9 inches, they’re ice chest and hot grease size for some clowns..

the restocking after hurricane Andrew was a wonderful thing and lots of volunteers gave time to help out… I didn’t get to witness or participate for those couple years.. I was off running around with the Marine Corps for those couple of years..

13. Member
    Agreed. Since Andrew all of my trips to the basin have been catch and release for bass. Areas where I could always count on catching a few bass every trip have produced no bass or even bream in the last three years. There’s nothing there but carp and gars. I miss the days when Flat Lake, American Pass, and Bear Bayou were at their prime.

14. Member
    I have a log that I use to track areas in the basin to prompt me to fish an area based on the Atchafalaya river levels. I have maintained that log for more than 3 decades. Not only do I record the water levels but my catch, tournament results and any other information that I deemed noteworthy from the trip. In the past it has been a very helpful tool. Sadly, in the past few years it only takes up bytes on my computer.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Missedone View Post
    I have a log that I use to track areas in the basin to prompt me to fish an area based on the Atchafalaya river levels. I have maintained that log for more than 3 decades. Not only do I record the water levels but my catch, tournament results and any other information that I deemed noteworthy from the trip. In the past it has been a very helpful tool. Sadly, in the past few years it only takes up bytes on my computer.
    right.. I still have my log books from living in Morgan city and fishing full time…. That was ‘99-‘05…. That’s all completely useless nowadays… some spots don’t even hold water anymore… and it seems a lot of the interior basin is just dead water….

I don’t really know how far bass will travel but if it’s reasonable to assume that every fish fled the interior basin running from bad water to go to the levee a couple years ago, how long does it take the ones that didn’t get put in a ice chest to make it back to the interior basin? Or do they even go back? Why not just decide that it’s safer to stay here or there? In my 50 year life, I’ve always known black or that bubbly clear water to be the devil juice in the atchafalaya basin…

16. Member
    [QUOTE=marshman;13381701]right.. I still have my log books from living in Morgan city and fishing full time…. That was ‘99-‘05…. That’s all completely useless nowadays… some spots don’t even hold water anymore… and it seems a lot of the interior basin is just dead water….

I don’t really know how far bass will travel but if it’s reasonable to assume that every fish fled the interior basin running from bad water to go to the levee a couple years ago, how long does it take the ones that didn’t get put in a ice chest to make it back to the interior basin? Or do they even go back? Why not just decide that it’s safer to stay here or there? In my 50 year life, I’ve always known black or that bubbly clear water to be the devil juice in the atchafalaya basin…[/QUOT It seems you just described a lot of the reasons the Basis isn’t what it use to be. I don’t fish that area much, but it can’t all be blamed on people keeping fish. Sure, some break the laws. I don’t think that many people are keeping over the limit to wipe out a whole fishery if the system is of good water quality. Maybe I’m wrong.

17. Member
    Will be interesting to see tournament results in the next few weeks. Basin level isn’t high and it’s the best time of the year for bass fishing . I’m not expecting to be impressed ….