2000 200 hp EFI Idle Adjustment

Outboard Serial Number: 0T103756
    Modle 200XL EFI
    Year 2000

I have had 2 mechanics say they will not work on my motor due to age, so it is up to me now. Motor runs great, except it will stall out just when put in gear. I call this idle speed. If I bump throttle to increase RPMs at all boat does not stall. I simply want to increase idle speed. I have read where there is an IDLE SPEED adjustment screw "between the VST and intake". I cannot find an image of this.
    If I get in the boat and look towards the transom/motor, I see 1 "screw", that could be reached with a long flat screw driver between top of VST and the motor. this would be the right side of the motor when in boat looking towards transom.
    Can someone validate I have located the correct screw. I have attempted to attach an image...
    Thank yall for helping us save money. I will respond with resolution to aid future readers
    20240219_203518.jpg

2. Member
    validation confirmed
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Welcome to the boards, I’m here for basically the same reason, plus I just like doing my own maintenance and repairs when I can. I would suggest that you invest in a Mercury Service manual for your motor, it’s the best investment you will make if you are going to service your own motor. It has about everything you need to fix your motor from troubleshooting to specs and tools needed. You can order from any Mercury parts dealer but I would suggest check out the link below for ordering parts, from Don, the moderator and selfless knowledge disher outer here, he owns European Marine and is Mercury dealer. He offers us discounts also. Along with Joe54 and some others you are in good hands. Also read through the FAQ for some good info. Again welcome.
    parts ordering link: https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=904325
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    validation confirmed

Thank you for the quick feedback. I intend to provide the feedback this weekend.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    Welcome to the boards, I’m here for basically the same reason, plus I just like doing my own maintenance and repairs when I can. I would suggest that you invest in a Mercury Service manual for your motor, it’s the best investment you will make if you are going to service your own motor. It has about everything you need to fix your motor from troubleshooting to specs and tools needed. You can order from any Mercury parts dealer but I would suggest check out the link below for ordering parts, from Don, the moderator and selfless knowledge disher outer here, he owns European Marine and is Mercury dealer. He offers us discounts also. Along with Joe54 and some others you are in good hands. Also read through the FAQ for some good info. Again welcome.
    parts ordering link: https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=904325
    Thank you for the feedback and the link. Thats a pretty good discount, thanks! I was looking at the manuals yesterday, but it suggested 2 different ones. I got a 2004 225 Optimax I love as well, I am going to research if by chance one of the those manuals covers that one as well, maybe get 2 birds with one stone. Thank you for the advice on the manual.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Should be an entirely different manual (as they're not only completely different fuel systems, they're an entirely different displacement/class).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Make sure it’s the Service Manual and not the owners or operators manual. And sometimes manuals are updated and new revisions are released. If you order from that link with your serial number you will get the correct one.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

8. Member
    That saved me some wasted time. Thank you