Elites on Toledo Bend -primary technique?

Hoover strolling ? I assume you don't have to use a special head hook and You can also just use like a 1/16 ounce ball head jig and it will get the job done..... ?? I think I heard they're using a sonar Minino made by Yum. What other bates are guys using trying to catch these suspended fish where they're dropping down to them?

2. Member
    It’s something I want to try also. What rod works best?

3. Member
    I will be using a Dobyns champion extreme 702SF..... I am more curious to know about if a regular ball head jig is fine or do you have to go with something made by like core tackle( Hover strolling jig they make) .... also curious to know which soft plastic seems to be the one that everyone is using. I did see in a Bassmaster article. They mentioned a bait called the duo, realis finder shad....
    what are some other good ones to try?

4. Member

5. Member
    Seems like we were doing this 40+ years ago using a Mister Twister curly tail. Just a lot more choices of plastics now.

6. Member
    Wonder if people still use beetle spins or those purple worms with the hooks on line running through them with the bead and spinners on the front? I caught my first big bass when I was like, 5 years old casting a purple worm into a pond and reeling it in. My dad had gone to get the car and when he came back I was standing on the bank desperately trying not to lose the rod and reel that thing was pulling so hard. lol

A ball head jig will work just fine, as long as it has a 90 degree line tie. That also lets you hover the bait above the fish. Lots and lots of soft plastics options out there - and I’m sure more are coming. You want something without appendages or a paddle tail. So the better options look more like a fluke or even the old sluggo.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Classicxl View Post
    Seems like we were doing this 40+ years ago using a Mister Twister curly tail. Just a lot more choices of plastics now.
    and the old FLUKE !

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    Wonder if people still use beetle spins or those purple worms with the hooks on line running through them with the bead and spinners on the front? I caught my first big bass when I was like, 5 years old casting a purple worm into a pond and reeling it in. My dad had gone to get the car and when he came back I was standing on the bank desperately trying not to lose the rod and reel that thing was pulling so hard. lol
    I've always got a beetle spin tied on, they just flat out catch fish.

10. Member
    I am no expert at scoping but there's Damiki rigging/moping like Gussy used to win the Classic and then there's scoping the way Kyoya and others use FFS.

Lindners came up with moping over 20 years ago for suspended smallies fishing vertically:

FFS/scoping is totally different. I don't have FFS and probably won't ever fish that way looking at the bow sonar for hours without casting. But who knows, never say never.

11. Member
    I can see where some of the FFS jigheads are designed to help the bait stay level in the water instead of tipping nose down. When it comes to the baits, I think a good FFS angler could catch them with whatever bait he is being paid to talk about. There are dozens of baits that would work fine.

12. dartag1829
    Is it the bait or FFS telling you to fish it 8 feet down in 15 feet of water where the fish is. No more bottom dragging.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    It’s something I want to try also. What rod works best?
    ALX Rods ZOLO Hover