Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rough Towing with Tahoe

I inherited my wifes 2016 Chevy Tahoe LTZ 2wd after she got a new mini-van.

It rides fine with just normal driving, but when I pull my boat, it rides like crap and feels very rough with a lot of vibration.

It has 80k miles, and it does air ride level as soon as the boat is hitch up.

Is it more than likely the magna ride causing this?
    2016 Phoenix 618 Pro / Mercury 175 Pro XS

Start simple. First take the whole rig for a drive. If the boat has been sitting a while longer the better tires will flat spot some from sitting then. Jack each trailer tire up and give it a spin. The tread should spin pretty level as in round as you spin the tire it shouldn't hump or bump much. A tire should be round if not will cause vibration through the trailer. Even a balanced tire if it isn't round it will cause a vibration. If you find the tires are round then have them balanced.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

3. Member
    What vehicle did you pull the boat with before the Tahoe? Any issues with it?

4. Member
    I had a 2007 4runner, it pulled very smooth.

I didn't think about the trailer tires having flat spots. It did sit a month or so. I bet that was a big part of it.

5. Scraps
    Something does seem off. I had a 2011 Yukon and it may have been the best tow vehicle I've owned. I know my stock tires, Wrangler's I believe, were really noisey. Trailer, mine is that same vintage and I replaced the Marathon tires two seasons ago. I failed a tire, then another and I knew it was time. I could feel the vibration at the wheel before those tires failed, but when I stopped to take a look, nothing looked wrong - then 20 miles later, kaboom. I do it on any trailer, but think it's especially important to balance wheels on a MM trailer with all the caliper issues reported.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

6. Member
    My tires on my trailer aren't all that old (couple seasons). I did go to a higher load rated tire, but never experienced any issues at all with the 4runner.

I put a 8" drop hitch on the Tahoe, but the tongue does still sit a little high compared to the 4runner, as it was pretty much close to dead level. I wouldn't expect that to change it too much would it?

Prior to my 4runner I pulled this same boat with a 2011 Yukon also and it did great.

I was reading some other forums and saw there has issues with the magna ride on the 2016 models apparently, so I am betting that is probably it.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
    I was reading some other forums and saw there has issues with the magna ride on the 2016 models apparently, so I am betting that is probably it.
    Probably correct since you didn't have issues prior to this vehicle. If the tires were flat spotted they would have smoothed out pretty quick.

Never ASSUME

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

9. Member
    Jack- I measured the bottom of my ball mount at 18 inches pulling the 818 and 618 before that with my Highlander. Before that, I used a Dodge Durango at 17.x base of ball. If your anywhere from 16.7 to 18.25 then I would not expect any balance issues with the trailer. I felt the 18 was a bit too high when I went to the highlander but I don't notice any issues.

Flat spots on load D tires not obvious to me. I let mine sit for up to 6 months and don't notice any issues on the first pull of the season.

I had a 2000 Tahoe and did not have any issues towing.

So I'm at a loss on your problem if it does not related to trailer hitch type or some type of a unique air suspension issue that would not have appleid to my old Tahoe. If you recently towed with your old 4-runner without issue, then I think it safe to say it does relate to the two vehicle in some way.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

10. Member

I put a 8" drop hitch on the Tahoe, but the tongue does still sit a little high compared to the 4runner, as it was pretty much close to dead level. I wouldn't expect that to change it too much would it?
    wanted to comment once more now that I'm home and looking at my Toyota Sequoia. With a 1 inch drop hitch, the base of my ball is approximatly 16.5. I measured my trailer in Florida before I came home and 16.5 is almost exactly how it is meant to be pulled. I noted previously that off my highlander with no drop my base was 18 and it worked fine.

I can't for the life of me figure out how an 8inch drop could work on any stock SUV. A durango needs 2 1/4 drop, my old Tahoe needed 2 1/4.
    2024 Phoenix 818

I towed with my wife’s Yukon on and off for years and also with my Sierra trucks. The Yukon needed 6-7” drop. The Sierra only 2 1/2”. The hitch on the truck and most SUV is under the bumper. If you look at the Tahoe the hitch is high almost at coming out of the middle of the bumper. If it’s a factory tow hitch you’ll see how high it is compared to a pick up

12. Member
    Factory tow hitches on SUVs will be installed in the frame so that’s why they are in the center of the bumper. SUVs with aftermarkets are installed below the bumper. Tell tale sign to look for when a dealer claims an SUV has a factory tow package.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    Factory tow hitches on SUVs will be installed in the frame so that’s why they are in the center of the bumper. SUVs with aftermarkets are installed below the bumper. Tell tale sign to look for when a dealer claims an SUV has a factory tow package.
    I disagree. Some are bumper centered but far more are just below. That being said the front of the trailer frame should be slightly high. TOO High and the trailer brakes won't work well or as smoothly as they should and will be bounce more. Too low and tend to sway more than they should. Has been my experience.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick H View Post
    TOO High and the trailer brakes won't work well or as smoothly as they should and will be bounce more. Too low and tend to sway more than they should. Has been my experience.
    This would be my view as well Rick

I always prefer the factory tow package because I think they look better, have cleaner wiring, and should be better attached to the frame. My experience has been that this makes them higher by default and I typically need some type of drop.
    2024 Phoenix 818

15. Member
    I do have the factory tow package. I measured and the base of the ball measures right at 16-3/8".

Next time I hook up my boat I will measured the angle it sits at.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If I got this right you need to be about 18" at the top of the ball. Measure your trailers hitch to the top of the ball area when it is level, that will tell you what you need to be at the top of the ball.

17. Member
    I do have the factory tow package. I measured and the base of the ball measures right at 16-3/8".

Next time I hook up my boat I will measured the angle it sits at.
    The base of the ball measurement looks about right. I have a hitch on my toyotal sequoia that I will use next month for the first time at almost exactly the same base of ball measurement.

On my 2011 Durango, the base was around 17 and worked great. On my 22 Toyota Highlander, the base is 18 and works great; even though I would have thought it too high. After reading this thread, if I feel anything other then a perfect tow with the sequoia, I will throw the highander hitch on it and get back to 18 at the base.

i think you could try a hitch with base in the 17 to 18 range and see if that helps. I'm doubting it but a hitch is only like $25 to test.
    2024 Phoenix 818

18. Member
    I inherited my wifes 2016 Chevy Tahoe LTZ 2wd after she got a new mini-van.

It rides fine with just normal driving, but when I pull my boat, it rides like crap and feels very rough with a lot of vibration.

It has 80k miles, and it does air ride level as soon as the boat is hitch up.

Is it more than likely the magna ride causing this?

Does the rear of the car sag with the trailer attached?

I had to replace the air ride system on one of my Tahoes at 80,000 miles - both shocks and compressor.

19. Member
    It doesn't sag, the air ride compressor does click on and pumps it back up to the starting position.
    I also didn't see any of the magnetic fluid leaking out, but it could have done so long ago I guess.

Just because the air ride works doesn’t mean the shock is good. The shock may be low on oil/ gas and won’t be able to control the added weight
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast