Lake Anna First Week in April

Buddy and i thinking of semi-impromptu trip that's not too far from North Jersey and somplace South. How is lake Anna that time of year? And what part is private so as we get on the right side of the lake? I;m fine with private side as well I guess we would just have to make sure we can use the boat on that end though. Plan on finding a VRBO.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cwenbass View Post
    Buddy and i thinking of semi-impromptu trip that's not too far from North Jersey and somplace South. How is lake Anna that time of year? And what part is private so as we get on the right side of the lake? I;m fine with private side as well I guess we would just have to make sure we can use the boat on that end though. Plan on finding a VRBO.
    My home lake where I keep my boat at Highpoint Marina. Weather can be unpredictable, seen it snow in early April and also seen 80's. The private side is only accessible to residents and their community ramps. You won't find any Marina's or fuel, but Tow Boat US was running there last year. So a VRBO is the only way to access it. Here is where you can monitor the water temps - https://www.dominionenergy.com/proje...tment-facility

The water intake temp if from the Plant on the Cold Side. You can read about the hydrology here: https://www.mccotterslakeanna.com/lake.htm

April will be a good pre-spawn pattern on the cold side, post spawn for much of the hot side. Pool one is currently mid-70's and guys are throwing topwaters in 30 degree air temps lol

Water clarity on the cold side up the feeder rivers has been poor this spring due to all the rain. I checked it out last weekend and it was getting somewhat better, so by April it will probably be good to go. From the 208 bridge and downlake (East), the water is very clear. So you can kind of pick your pattern. The closer you get to the dam the warmer the water is. From up the rivers to Dike 3 where the inflow from the Hot/private side there will be around 7 degree's difference, with up to 15 degree difference from pool one of the Hot/private side to splits and up the creeks on the cold side. I would fish both, hot side is a great numbers side, but the public/cold side has fish to 11lbs and probably bigger now.

You can PM me if you want any additional information.
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

3. Scraps
    Safe to say TONS of tourney activity this time of year?
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

4. Member
    Thanks for all the great info. Is the hot side and cold side both public or is one side private? Where is the line of private access so when I look on VRBO I will what I am looking at?

Thanks/
    Quote Originally Posted by Squire View Post
    My home lake where I keep my boat at Highpoint Marina. Weather can be unpredictable, seen it snow in early April and also seen 80's. The private side is only accessible to residents and their community ramps. You won't find any Marina's or fuel, but Tow Boat US was running there last year. So a VRBO is the only way to access it. Here is where you can monitor the water temps - https://www.dominionenergy.com/proje...tment-facility

The water intake temp if from the Plant on the Cold Side. You can read about the hydrology here: https://www.mccotterslakeanna.com/lake.htm

April will be a good pre-spawn pattern on the cold side, post spawn for much of the hot side. Pool one is currently mid-70's and guys are throwing topwaters in 30 degree air temps lol

Water clarity on the cold side up the feeder rivers has been poor this spring due to all the rain. I checked it out last weekend and it was getting somewhat better, so by April it will probably be good to go. From the 208 bridge and downlake (East), the water is very clear. So you can kind of pick your pattern. The closer you get to the dam the warmer the water is. From up the rivers to Dike 3 where the inflow from the Hot/private side there will be around 7 degree's difference, with up to 15 degree difference from pool one of the Hot/private side to splits and up the creeks on the cold side. I would fish both, hot side is a great numbers side, but the public/cold side has fish to 11lbs and probably bigger now.

You can PM me if you want any additional information.

5. Member
    We trip to Annq twice a year, going April 8th for the week we love it. We do really good there on a whole. we rent a house in middle part of lake. public side. been going since the 90s. pm if you want any info like tips , travel time and the such

Thanks for all the great info. Is the hot side and cold side both public or is one side private? Where is the line of private access so when I look on VRBO I will what I am looking at?

Thanks/
    Only the hot side is private. If you look on Google Maps, you can see the three rip rap dikes that separate the hot and cold side. Everything to the left of the dikes is the hot side, it's about 1/3 the size of the cold side.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

7. Member
    I found the VRBO I was planning, and it is on the hotside. I think I'd rather find something on the cold side that is public.

8. Member

Thanks/
    Cold side is Public and has typical facilities. Private/hot side are available only to residents and of course rentals of places that belong to a hot side community that would have a ramp. If you look at the map of Lake Anna, the hot side are 3 different "pools" and you see them at the South East section of the map near the dam (bottom right). If you get into the Satellite view of Google Maps you will see the earthen dikes, of which there are 3 and aptly named Dike 1, Dike 2 and Dike 3. Dike 3 is the one nearest the dam and furthest south and east and is where the hot side flows into the cold/public side. This flow goes back to the plant which you can see opposite Sturgeon Creek on the South Side.

9. Member

hotside Lake Anna

10. Member
    Never mind LOL. Trip not happening unless I can get a cancelation for cabin at Laka Anna State park. VRBO service fee is double the actual amount total for 2 nights plus service fee. $1080 for 2 nights. Decided we'd look for a cabin but everyone else thought of that so.. hoping for a cancellation. Definitely last minute trip for sure now.

11. Member
    Never mind LOL. Trip not happening unless I can get a cancelation for cabin at Laka Anna State park. VRBO service fee is double the actual amount total for 2 nights plus service fee. $1080 for 2 nights. Decided we'd look for a cabin but everyone else thought of that so.. hoping for a cancellation. Definitely last minute trip for sure now.
    check out 2 places. First, and its water front, is the Highpoint Marina Lighthouse Inn. You can check availability here: https://www.highpointmarina.com/lighthouse-inn
    The other is just across the street from Sturgeon Creek Marina and has been refurbished by an Indian Couple who are now the local entrepreneurs of the year for the LKA area.
    https://hotellakeanna.com/

12. Member
    You may want to think about the Potomac that week. Of course depends on the weather, but could be a great shallow water grass bite.

13. Member
    Before you give up, try Vacasa https://www.vacasa.com/search?place=/usa/Lake-Anna/
    I found 52 rentals for the 1st week of April, several were priced comparable to the State Park.

Also try Dockside Realty Vacation Rentals, https://www.docksiderentalsatlakeanna.com/

I fish Anna 2-3 times a year and whenever I don’t stay at the Park, I rent from one these rental agencies.
    Good Luck!

14. Member
    Chickahominy River is best bet in early April. Tidal fishery so it is a great fishery 365. You can also fish Chickahominy Reservoir for variety. It
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

15. Member
    I found the VRBO I was planning, and it is on the hotside. I think I'd rather find something on the cold side that is public.

Hotside fishing will be stupid fun in early April...you can always trailer your boat over to the coldside if you want to switch it up.

Quote Originally Posted by PsuHntr View Post
    Hotside fishing will be stupid fun in early April...you can always trailer your boat over to the coldside if you want to switch it up.
    when we go for the week we stay on the hot side and fish there few days and then a couple days we fish the cold side...always a great time there!
    Allen
    911 Bass Anglers
    Bucks County PA