Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by Squire View Post
    I was surprised to see some line tests on youtube that showed fluro has more stretch than mono, the difference being once you stretch it out, it does not fully recover and can fracture. The test also showed that the expensive fluro's were not as good in abrasion or stretch as the cheap ones.....I actually switched from AbraizX because of these results and have not looked back.
    I will say the KVD flouro BPS sells is pretty damn good. And their Excel flouro isn't bad either for what you pay. The compromised state of the line after trying to bend a hook out of a stump or get unwedged from rocks has been my big concern over the years but never really had that much of a problem.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

Fish what you have confidence in.

3. Member
    I was reluctant or anti flouro forever….. but after finally using it for a few years, mono just feels weird, mushy…

I love the more instant feel and sensitivity and low stretch of flouro..

visibility isn’t an issue where I fish…

I use Sniper FC for cranks, squarebill, and some spinnerbaits. Mainly sub-surface baits where I want increased abrasion resistance and a line that sinks. Love Sunline Super Natural mono for topwater, buzzbaits, and most other surface baits. They both have their place.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

5. Member
    Fluorocarbon is simply not worth the trouble for me at least. Snake oil and more. It's another way of extracting money from customers. Several testing videos out there and none will justify the money spent.

The copolymer lines like P-Line offers work for me, personally. Big Game has been proven to have less stretch than flouro by a member here who runs linetestlabs.com.

The old blue/clear lines from Stren and Berkely still work as advertised. Use whatever type line you think best. As for me I find absolutely no reason to purchase flourocarbon.
    We are all born ignorant but one must work really hard to remain stupid---Ben Franklin

6. Member
    I have seen it make a difference in the number of bites I get but just in some instances. I use it for my slow moving baits. It is also slightly more sensitive than mono. Not enough to matter most days. Some of the time nothing matters except keeping my hook wet!

Invisibility is the last reason I use flouro

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Invisibility is the last reason I use flouro
    What's the first?

Quote Originally Posted by LateralLine View Post
    What's the first?

Strength. Abrasion resistance. Castability. I don't give a rip about invisibility.

Pretty well any issue I have with the flouro I use is 100% user error.

10. Member
    Used to love my suffix mono especially on my spinning rods

11. Member
    A good copolymer like Pline CXX is far stranger and more abrasion resistant than any fluorocarbon that I have used.

If they never invented fluorocarbon none of us would have ever known a difference. I never thought once about using green or clear monofilament. Still use Izorline on a few but like the sensitivity of fluorocarbon still caught just as many or more on monofilament. Actually I really liked the Stren clear blue fluorocarbon when they made it but guess it wasn’t as popular to others as they discontinued it.

13. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    I only use floro on my shakey head. I have used it and another rod with big game with a shakey head and they wouldnt touch the one with big game. You could switch rods and throw back in the same spot and start getting bit again. I have to much trouble with floro breaking on me and every floro i've tried had terrible abrasion resistance which is what others seem to rave about.
    Last edited by GOTTA BIG SACK; 02-29-2024 at 08:31 PM.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

I wouldn't give up my flouro on a lot of presentations. It just works incredibly well for me. I've used a lot of different lines over the years but couldn't imagine not using flouro.

15. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    I think floro catches mor fishermen than fish.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LateralLine View Post
    What's the first?
    It’s feel for me. If I’m dragging something on the bottom with floro, and then switch to mono it just feels dead. Mono has no where near the feel of floro.

That’s the main reason I use it.

17. #FRB
    Just got done getting 16 rod/reel combos ready for Spring. Most of the 12 baitcast setups still have flouro but enough have 10 or 15# Big Game (gotta have them available for topwater) to see how much of a difference it really makes for how I fish. The medium-lite and medium baitcast rods are exclusively moving bait rods. The medium-heavy baitcast rods get used for moving baits a lot but also double as bottom contact rods. The heavy action baitcast rods are 100% bottom contact as long as a lampshade isn't tied on. Still got spools of flouro for the leaders on spinning setups all with braid for main line and when I really want to have good bottom contact feel I'm swinging a fairly wand. Just trying to see if paying more for line is worth it or if I've been drinking the Koolaid the past seveal years. I do know last year there was a difference between the two but still undecided on which way I want to go. With moving baits I mostly didn't care if I had Big Game or limp flouro and I prefer limp flouro if on a baitcast setup and that's likely costing me in sensitivity.
    Last edited by Highcentered; 02-29-2024 at 05:47 PM.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnman81 View Post
    I think this is a true statement.
    We are all born ignorant but one must work really hard to remain stupid---Ben Franklin

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnman81 View Post
    What’s your reasoning for thinking this?

I use fc because I like the difference in sensitivity and I don't like braid on baitcasting. Use it for pitching/flipping, chatterbaits, spinnerbaits, and squarebills.

I use copolymer for most other crankbait and topwater applications.

I use braid on spinning with a leader, mostly use fc leaders. Use it because I like that it sinks, especially when throwing a wacky worm or fluke.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast