Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    I wish I would have seen this thread before yesterday. I just bought two new AGM's yesterday.

2. Member
    Can anyone explain why these can be considered safe for marine applications? Mostly I am concerned about the stories I hear about fires and lithiums. I trust myself to follow all recommended charging guidelines but how concerned should I be about this battery being dangerous ?

3. Member
    I need knowledge on batteries and requirements for my boat. Currently I have 3, 12v batteries for my electronics and 1, 12 volt as a starting battery. So I can buy one of these 36v batteries to replace my 3, 12 volt batteries foe my electronics? Do I need to buy one of the 36v batteries for my motor? Is that too much power going to the motor? Please educate me. i have a Phoenix 920, ghost TM, 2, lowrance HDS 9 graphs.
    thanks!

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeSF View Post
    I need knowledge on batteries and requirements for my boat. Currently I have 3, 12v batteries for my electronics and 1, 12 volt as a starting battery. So I can buy one of these 36v batteries to replace my 3, 12 volt batteries foe my electronics? Do I need to buy one of the 36v batteries for my motor? Is that too much power going to the motor? Please educate me. i have a Phoenix 920, ghost TM, 2, lowrance HDS 9 graphs.
    thanks!
    uh! 12 volt only for cranking the engine! There will be a fire or something bad if you attempt this. Trolling motor it would be great.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rboren View Post
    uh! 12 volt only for cranking the engine! There will be a fire or something bad if you attempt this. Trolling motor it would be great.
    That was my suspicion but wasn't sure. Thanks! Next question. I have a minn kota 4 bank charger. Can i just use one bank for the new 36v lithium and one bank for the 12v cranking battery. Will this configuration fully charge the 36v lithium?

6. Member
    Read the description on the original link. It's obvious these are not made with grade A cells.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JJohnSind View Post
    Read the description on the original link. It's obvious these are not made with grade A cells.
    How are you determining that?

That was my suspicion but wasn't sure. Thanks! Next question. I have a minn kota 4 bank charger. Can i just use one bank for the new 36v lithium and one bank for the 12v cranking battery. Will this configuration fully charge the 36v lithium?
    Absolutely NO on the 36v for Outboard Motor. 36v for Trolling Motor only, assuming you have a 36V TM. 12v for everything else (Ignoring Snake Oil 16v Battery Setups for Electronics).

And no, you will need a dedicated 36v charger for 36v batteries - you cannot "stack" 12v leads on a 36v. So you'll need either a stand alone 36v specific charger, or a replacement that does both 12v and 36v - Monster Marine, Ionic, and a few other brands offer them, some are mentioned ealier in the thread as well as a few stand alone models.

Look, I don't mean to disrespect, but I highly recommend you contact one of the board sponsors like Andy at Drewcraft who can help guide you through some of the process - based on your questions I would not reccomend jumping into the boat battery/wiring/charging config blind. Andy can explain the hows and whys of your questions and provide bettter before and after purchase support, and a more traditional product with support and long term warranty, etc. Not trying to insult anyone, we've all been at that beginner level where we don't know or understand things, no shame in that. Heck if you look back through the Skeeter forum you'll see I asked some doozies in my day :).

Guys like Andy at Drewcraft or Kevin at K&K or Rich at Hydrila Gear or Lithium Hub in AL can get you sorted out better than any internet offbrand/overstock/generic battery reseller imo.

So after saying all that, I will say I am on the fence on these. Yes the are a great value. But the 60 day warranty, the "unknown" status/history (although so far all seem to be excellent), and the fact that I along with at least one other member can't seem to get anyone to answer the phone or an email (big red flag for me, personally), I'm not as excited to pick up two of these as I originally was.

Also partly due to I have an excellent lithium setup in place already with Ionic 3x50 and 125, and a excellent charger in the 460PCL. So there really isn't a "need" for me to move to a 2x36v setup. Would it be nice to have the extra capacity - sure. But as stated, I can't really put a dent in my 3x50ah setup with my Ghost. It would have been nice from a redundacy perspective to have two 36v and 2x60ah capacity, and would be nice to get some more weight back in the bilge and on the pass side, etc - but again, more of a would be nice to have vs a need.

Now, if I didn't have batteries currently, or was looking to move/upgrade from wet cells, this would be more attractive for sure. But having to essentially rip everything out of the bilge and re-configure, as well as buying two new chargers, a BT monitor, etc isn't that appealing to me at the moment lol.

Not saying it won't happen, but I'm currently leaning the other way.
    Last edited by 78Staff; 03-06-2024 at 12:09 PM. Reason: I think I get worse at spelling the older I get...

Quote Originally Posted by Wormdunker View Post
    Can anyone explain why these can be considered safe for marine applications? Mostly I am concerned about the stories I hear about fires and lithiums. I trust myself to follow all recommended charging guidelines but how concerned should I be about this battery being dangerous ?
    Seems no one knows
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    Absolutely NO on the 36v for Outboard Motor. 36v for Trolling Motor only, assuming you have a 36V TM. 12v for everything else (Ignoring Snake Oil 16v Battery Setups for Electronics).

And no, you will need a dedicated 36v charger for 36v batteries - you cannot "stack" 12v leads on a 36v. So you'll need either a stand alone 36v specific charger, or a replacement that does both 12v and 36v - Monster Marine, Ionic, and a few other brands offer them, some are mentioned ealier in the thread as well as a few stand alone models.

Look, I don't mean to disrespect, but I highly recommend you contact one of the board sponsors like Andy at Drewcraft who can help guide you through some of the process - based on your questions I would not reccomend jumping into the boat battery/wiring/charging config blind. Andy can explain the hows and whys of your questions and provide bettter before and after purchase support, and a more traditional product with support and long term warranty, etc. Not trying to insult anyone, we've all been at that beginner level where we don't know or understand things, no shame in that. Heck if you look back through the Skeeter forum you'll see I asked some doozies in my day :).

Guys like Andy at Drewcraft or Kevin at K&K or Rich at Hydrila Gear or Lithium Hub in AL can get you sorted out better than any internet offbrand/overstock/generic battery reseller imo.
    No disrespect at all. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

No disrespect at all. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

They can also help with install questions/issues etc - being more of a full service boating seller verses a generic / all purpose battery seller. The cost is more of course, but the benefits like support, warranty, BT, quick replacement if needed, low temp protection, etc are beneficial for sure. Plus all mentioned typically offer a discount to BBC member as well.

13. Member
    I bought one last night. Also found the millertech 36v charger can be found online for around 170 bucks.

14. Member
    I stopped the test before I left this afternoon for some errands. 59ah and still at 34v.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

Quote Originally Posted by Delta Bass Fool View Post
    Seems no one knows
    It appears the technology has come along way since it was first introduced for marine applications. Mostly in how the BMS is configured. Where are all the recent stories about fires? I haven't seen one and don't know anyone personally who uses lithium that experienced a fire due to their operation.

I’m not pretending to know anything about the lithium technology and batteries other than things I have heard in the past. I’m honestly concerned if these batteries are legit for use around water born applications such as those in our bass boats.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta Bass Fool View Post
    I’m not pretending to know anything about the lithium technology and batteries other than things I have heard in the past. I’m honestly concerned if these batteries are legit for use around water born applications such as those in our bass boats.
    Earlier lithium batteries were lithium ion which tend to emit fire when punctured or overcharged. Lithium ion is still used in ebike batteries, due to their higher cell voltage and lighter weight among other things.

Lithium iron phosphate (lifepo4) is more used for boats, golf cart,etc. They are more stable, vibration resistant, and safer. Especially with new bms technologies
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

So after saying all that, I will say I am on the fence on these. Yes the are a great value. But the 60 day warranty, the "unknown" status/history (although so far all seem to be excellent), and the fact that I along with at least one other member can't seem to get anyone to answer the phone or an email (big red flag for me, personally), I'm not as excited to pick up two of these as I originally was.

Also partly due to I have an excellent lithium setup in place already with Ionic 3x50 and 125, and a excellent charger in the 460PCL. So there really isn't a "need" for me to move to a 2x36v setup. Would it be nice to have the extra capacity - sure. But as stated, I can't really put a dent in my 3x50ah setup with my Ghost. It would have been nice from a redundacy perspective to have two 36v and 2x60ah capacity, and would be nice to get some more weight back in the bilge and on the pass side, etc - but again, more of a would be nice to have vs a need.

Now, if I didn't have batteries currently, or was looking to move/upgrade from wet cells, this would be more attractive for sure. But having to essentially rip everything out of the bilge and re-configure, as well as buying two new chargers, a BT monitor, etc isn't that appealing to me at the moment lol.

Not saying it won't happen, but I'm currently leaning the other way.

Well, in the do as a say and not as I do dept... I just ordered two.

I was able to get through on the phone, nice folks. They explained the shipping issue - 2x pushed the weight over 50lbs which creates a surcharge increasing the shipping cost. The web site doesn't recognize it would be two different boxes (so no surcharge). So they sent me a direct invoice with corrected shipping and also a small additional discount as well . So I guess I will be re-doing the bilge after all lol.

Also ordered the Amped Battery Monitor - Amped Marine shows out of stock, but I found one a FishUSA.com w/free shipping.

Still deciding on a charger, but leaning towards the LiTime I posted earlier. But I do see several less costly ones out there as well, so going to look around a bit.
    Last edited by 78Staff; 03-06-2024 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshKeller View Post
    Earlier lithium batteries were lithium ion which tend to emit fire when punctured or overcharged. Lithium ion is still used in ebike batteries, due to their higher cell voltage and lighter weight among other things.

Lithium iron phosphate (lifepo4) is more used for boats, golf cart,etc. They are more stable, vibration resistant, and safer. Especially with new bms technologies
    Thank you.

This is charger I was looking at - LiTime has a good rep here lately as the brand of choice from the Amazon options... I like that it includes the quick connect setup intead of having to cut off clamps and order/splice in a connect-eze or simlar...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CVVS4KTB

Well dang now this is OOS and not available until Mid April it looks like... so am looking for another option

I guess the Epoch, even though I'll need to splice in a Connect-Eze connector. Any other suggestions?

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast