Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    North up always.

When running or fishing, my mind places the boat on the map facing the direction the arrow is pointing, so to speak.

I don’t seem to have problems instantly rectifying north, south, east, or west, on the map with those directions on the horizon.

Question for course-up guys; do you ever refer to an area as “the back side of an island”, rather than using N,S,E,or W?

2. Member
    North up for me normally. I do use heading on some lakes. On very open lakes north up is a must for me personally.

3. Member
    Heading up for me. I don't think there's a wrong answer though. Either the map is going to spin, or the boat icon is going to spin. Pick which ever you prefer.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Your map doesn't spin with North up, it does with course up.
    You are correct. Bad wording on my part. It’s an eye focus thing. On course up, the map will spin but your heading and boat icon does not. On north up, the map doesn’t move but your heading and boat icon will spin or move. Running the boat lanes of Toledo Bend like that felt suicidal to me and my eyes. My brain likes to envision what I am approaching and match that with what I’m approaching on the map. At north up, if I’m running south then I have to pay attention to the bottom of the screen like I’m in reverse which my brain relates to where I’ve been. That east west lane is coming up on the right. Oops, no it’s on the left. My bad. Course/heading up just makes sense to my brain. Like reading left to right. But hey, thankfully we have both options as it appears 50/50 on here.
    Last edited by barbarian; 03-06-2024 at 06:46 PM.

5. Member
    North up

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barbarian View Post
    You are correct. Bad wording on my part. It’s an eye focus thing. On course up, the map will spin but your heading and boat icon does not. On north up, the map doesn’t move but your heading and boat icon will spin or move. Running the boat lanes of Toledo Bend like that felt suicidal to me and my eyes. My brain likes to envision what I am approaching and match that with what I’m approaching on the map. At north up, if I’m running south then I have to pay attention to the bottom of the scream like I’m in reverse which my brain relates to where I’ve been. That east west lane is coming up on the right. Oops, no it’s on the left. My bad. Course/heading up just makes sense to my brain. Like reading left to right. But hey, thankfully we have both options as it appears 50/50 on here.
    Having to stay in boat lanes running course up makes total sense and I’d probably do the same. Our lakes are pretty much totally open and easy to navigate once you are off the bank so I prefer north up just so the map doesn’t spin and I can more easily track where I’m at, what waypoints I’ve hit, where I’m headed next
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

7. Member
    For anyone that has a good sense of direction, course is the way to go. This way you can see what is coming ahead. I know where North is before I leave the boat ramp.
    Fish Bump!

1997 ProCraft 180
    2021 Mercury 150

I run course up and have zero issues with map spinning. I run through timber and also have to use boat lanes/cuts and do not care to have my map spinning.

Course up

10. Member
    North up. I don't like my map spinning around. The only thing that should be moving around is your boat, the lake and land stay the same. Easy as hell to figure out which way you need to turn to get to next spot if the map is stationary.

11. Member
    Always heading....I want it to move with me where I'm heading.

Head up in my boat. North up in my truck. Just like it should be.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewM-Fishing View Post
    north up on the console. course up on the bow.
    I've always been north up but I'm gonna try this this year. Good idea.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by APS View Post
    . Easy as hell to figure out which way you need to turn to get to next spot if the map is stationary.
    Stationary isn't the issue. With North up, sometimes left is right and visa versa.
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

15. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Heading up.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

16. Member
    In the military you are taught to turn the map to the direction of movement. Course up for me.

I want to see whats coming up in front of me. Why would i care which direction is north? I ride with others that are north up and i am like why in the world would you want to see things like that... Guess i like my map like i like my transducer. Forward facing lol

18. Member
    Course up on the console, north up on the bow.
    Fish have fins, they swim

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    I want to see whats coming up in front of me. Why would i care which direction is north? I ride with others that are north up and i am like why in the world would you want to see things like that... Guess i like my map like i like my transducer. Forward facing lol
    I can see what's coming up just fine with it on north up.

Quote Originally Posted by barbarian View Post
    Always heading up. I know where north is but I want to see what is coming up and like already mentioned, I do not want my map spinning. I would like to hear the perceived advantages of north up though. Maybe I am missing something.
    Yep…heading up…orients the map to your direction. I also like to put a course extension on the chart. Keeps me from wandering all over the place.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast