Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I'm self employed I get google reviews.

2. Member
    No reviews where I work.

We do, but they're somewhat pointless. I wish they went back to our old system, but alas, it's all about "savings."
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

4. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Nope, retired
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

5. Member
    Completed the reviews for my directs last week and have my review with my boss next week. We have to have reviews completed before any merit raises get applied.
    2019 Phoenix 21PHX
    Mercury 250 4 Stroke

We have quarterly reviews written by people that never spend 5 minutes a quarter with us seeing what we do. Nothing but a waste of time that riles up the idiots that feel their reviews were wrong. If you get high review scores all year you get a 5% raise the following year and average scores get you a 3% raise. Waste of paper and resources spent on them.

7. Member
    Retired 5 years ago and always had the yearly review..........only times it got 'hot' is when it was my turn in the barrel to take the bogie.

8. Member
    No, retired
    But I generally get at least three reviews a week from my wife.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by T. Hill View Post
    From a Regional Managers past perspective let me say this. If your in a position to give an employee assessment two critical items:
    1) Never go to an assessment without looking at the last review and having it present. (ie,Did the employee meet goals and game plan)
    2)If you’re a Manager at any level giving reviews and doing your job there should never be a suprise in a review.
    Ive always been in favor of self assessment then review.

WRT your first point, that is how many employees expect it to work- they check off the boxes as having done X, Y, and Z- them that equals promotion. There was a B.S. level scientist working in my group when I joined who I suspect was a bit "on the spectrum". He constantly was disappointed when he didn't get promoted under our boss. He was a decent scientist that stayed at the same level too long, but didn't realize his boss and his boss's butt kissing buddy made fun of him behind his back. It wasn't until our boss finally left that the guy got a promotion. I finally connected the dots for him- It wasn't a coincidence he got promoted after our old boss left and a new one took over. It had nothing to do with his performance- it was one of the "3-Ps" Politics, Personality or Psychology.

10. Member
    When i was still working ---yes we had them and they were BS!! If you got a boss who comes out and says i dont give good reviews , well great why should anyone bust their arse for him ?? The reviews were a joke !
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

Yea and I’m glad. I’ve worked at a place where they didn’t and you didn’t get a raise either. People were
    practically begging management to do them.

12. Member
    We have them annually. Handed to us and asked to sign for receiving. No discussion. Worth 30 points. Each category is 3 points. I always get 27 points. Been there 9 years. Joke
    GETFISHED !!!

13. Member
    As a Manager train your people. An assessment is not fair unless the associate has all the tools to perform their job. Given that a honest assesment can be given. Many people who give reviews are non confrontational and rather than being honest to the employee simply paper whip the review and go on. Several cycles of this and now we’ve got a problem. That manager leaves and a new one comes in. He/She does a honest review with the associate and guess what? The associate is surprised, takes exception and quits the company. As a Manager and in my own review this a metric %PTR and could affect my salary. We work to avoid turnover. Customers like dealing with the same people. The most valuable asset in business is not your building, your inventory it’s your people. Take care of them and they’ll take care of you. IMHO

14. Member
    I used to when I worked.

Been a Union Plumber for 25 years in Chicago. I have never done any type of yearly review in all those years.
    Gambler 2200/250 Pro XS

16. Member
    Well.....we had them and I learned to hate them after the company adopted the self evaluations. We had to do those, they took a while to do....several days if you were actually working and trying to do them in between other things. Then there were the goals. I was the resident expert in my field....resolved problems....I took care of issues....was not trying to move up to management.....had no desire to go to college at my age (50's). My goal was to keep doing what I was doing. That goal was not one of our choices..lol. CE was part of the eval, 40 hours a year for which 90% had nothing to do with the job.

Before the self evaluations I didn't mind them as long as you had a good manager. I have been under one that was clueless on what I did at the time.

Our raises were based on the evaluations. I made it through 3 years of the self evaluations before I retired, that was one of the biggest things I was glad to be done with.

17. Member
    Not for the last 9 years,,, I'm retired.. It's just more corporate Bull shit. I used to have to do that crap every year, Pure B.S. just someone trying to justify them selves.

18. Member
    Been retired for 10 years. Ran a plant with 400 employees. Man, I miss those times!

19. Member
    I had one boss that actually did the review themselves. Every other boss, even when I direct-reported to a CEO, had me do the evaluation. Part of it was because none had any idea what I do, lol. Part of it was because they wanted the self-evaluation, as they know level of standard was very, very high and I am my own worst critic. They always met with me and made sure to change one thing or two better, and a thing or two for worse, just to make it look like they did something.

I always kept my direct reports, up or down, well informed of events, and really liked being trusted to work so autonomously.
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

20. Member
    Have had them for as long as I can remember. They can be fun and useful or down right horrible. As T Hill said, there should never be any surprises for the one being reviewed. IMO you are not doing your job if there is and it can be enjoyable to give praise with clear, distinct examples of various successes from the previous evaluation period. It's nice to see someone feel good about themselves and even better when they engage in developing new ways to grow and improve.

But it can suck badly too. I've had years when the word from above was that nobody could be given above average without pre-approval that you knew would never be approved (basically told that nobody would be approved). The absolute worst, at a different company and thankfully I didn't have any reports then, being told that at least one report had to be given below average. That continued for a couple years. Imagine if you have a team of high performers and you have to choose one to be labeled "below expectations" .
    Last edited by 191 champ; 03-12-2024 at 10:47 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast