Help with trailer lights

Brake lights work. Blinkers work. No amber running lights or tail lights. Plug looks fine. No pinches or broken wires. I cleaned trailer ball and inside of hitch. Checked the fuse box. All are good. Any ideas or help would be appreciated

Often the sidemarkers are grounded to the trailer through the pop rivets that hold the lights to the trailer, my Ranger trailer is this way. I drilled out the old rivets and cleaned the inside of the hole and they have worked about 6 or 7 years now. Pop the lense out and check the rivets for corrosion. Oh and check the ground on the tow vehicle and trailer.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 11pounder View Post
    Often the sidemarkers are grounded to the trailer through the pop rivets that hold the lights to the trailer, my Ranger trailer is this way. I drilled out the old rivets and cleaned the inside of the hole and they have worked about 6 or 7 years now. Pop the lense out and check the rivets for corrosion. Oh and check the ground on the tow vehicle and trailer.
    This!
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

4. Member
    have a good test light really easy to figure out with one
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

5. Member
    Normally the trailer frame provides the ground for all the lights and the back-up solenoid, so if any of these work it is not the ground. The running lights run off the bRown wire. They also have their own fuse in the tow vehicle.

6. Member
    Found the problem. No power to trailer harness plug in. All fuses good. So, appointment next week at dealership. Thanks to all who offered advice.

7. Member
    Sometimes fuses can look good but be blown. If you didn't already, check them with a meter if you have one,or just replace. Might save a trip to dealer.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 11pounder View Post

This^^ and they usually use those S****y squeeze type splices that inevitably fail.

9. Member
    If it's a Ford pick up, running lites have their own fuse, Seperate from brake and blinkers.

10. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Coho975 View Post
    This^^ and they usually use those S****y squeeze type splices that inevitably fail.
    MarineMaster trailers have a similar issue. The grounds are installed AFTER the Gatorhyde. So the ground works fine until corrosion disrupts the ground path through the threads of the fasteners.
    Last edited by krindgen; 03-25-2024 at 10:36 AM.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    If it's a Ford pick up, running lites have their own fuse, Seperate from brake and blinkers.
    2nd this, really sounds like a fuse