Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Battery Operated Lawnmower, Yes/No, Brand?

Battery operated lawnmower what’s your thoughts and if recommend, which brand? Daughter just bought a house, not much yard so push wouldn’t take long at all.

2. Member
    I bought a Kobalt at Lowe's a couple of years ago. It's the 40 volt, self-propelled model and I love it. I rarely use the self-propelled function as it's light enough to easily push it and conserve battery. I can mow my front and back yard (residential size), take the battery out of the mower and put it in the trimmer and trim, edge and blow all on a single charge. I've never even used the battery that came with the trimmer.

I bought the most expensive Dewalt with the big rear wheel drive that comes with 2x 12ah batteries. I'm not very impressed. Needless to say I need a new 12ah battery because one of the 2 is dead while under warranty.
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

4. Member
    yes or no depends on size of the yard. If it's a small yard battery makes a lot of sense. My personal threshold would be can i complete it on a single charge?

As far as brand goes EGO would be the one i would choose if i was getting a walk behind. My old neighbor had one and i borrowed it a couple times for my little front yard when i was in process of downsizing and had gotten rid of my Honda. It worked great and i was impressed with it. Good run time from the big batteries that EGO uses which are said to be the best in the biz.

I would also think about a robot mower like the husqvarna if i had a small yard..... Just because mowing the lawn is something i prefer not do any more.

Check out EGO

6. Member
    I have a Ryobi for my smaller yard and it works awesome. Love not having to futz around with gas / oil for a small yard.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

7. Member
    Have a Ryobi 40v which works great for my townhouse. Small yards I think the electric makes sense. Just wish I had gotten the self propelled
    Nitro Z18
    175hp ProXS

8. Member
    Been using a Makita cordless mower for 3 seasons uses 2 batteries does a small yard twice. There a bit heavy but that is my only complaint. The Makita weed eater uses same battery and i like the balance and no exhaust in my face.

9. Member
    First the chainsaw thread and now this! Why don't you add a electric string trimmer and blower thread to round out the wimpishness.

60" Exmark w/ 25 hp Kawasaki to cut my 2 ac.

You guys should have your man cards pulled...

Quote Originally Posted by Mill Creek View Post
    First the chainsaw thread and now this! Why don't you add a electric string trimmer and blower thread to round out the wimpishness.

So because someone is getting electric lawnmowers, etc., that makes them a wimp? I bought an EGO electric snowblower in November and it's superior to the gas one I had prior. I most likely will buy an EGO lawnmower for this summer. I still have my John Deere riding mower so won't have to give up my man card just yet.

11. Member

Try using the smooth side of the towel when you dry off. Won't be as irritating.
    Hi Mike.

Don’t own a lawnmower, but I’ve got the EGO 650 CFM 56 volt (grrrrrr grrrrr) leaf blower. It’s pretty bad azz.

Out of all my Dewalt battery operated tools, this mower is the one purchase I would rewind if it was not too late.

Motor ramps up under higher grass, going up hill or anything that loads up the motor.

So when grass is low it causes the blades to not spin fast enough to give phoper lift to make a good cut. I constatly have little spots that need to have me go over it again.

I got tired of it and started putting a foot on one of the rear wheels to slow it down and force the motor to ramp up to high RPM for every pass.

It's a real pita but all in all it's a lot easier than futsing around with gas and oil as previously mentioned.

Other problem is when it has been raining a lot and grass gets tall and yard is soaked the mower does not have enough power to grunt through the task and constantly bogs and stalls out. I never had that issue with any gas powered mowers.

However the new water based gas is for the birds with all kinds of carburetors clogging up from sitting over the winter :/

We should possy up and come together to file a class action against the government for causing so many fuel related problems.
    Last edited by Delta Bass Fool; 03-13-2024 at 03:04 PM.

14. Member
    Makita. Love it. Have not run a gas mower in 2 years. Weed wacker, grass shears, leaf blower., hedge cutters all on Makita.

15. Member
    No, Not ever as longas there is a drop of petro available!

16. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    I downsized from a 42" JD to a battery powered Dewalt when we moved off our acreage and into town. Came with two 20V 10ah batteries that fit all of my other Dewalt tools and blower. Takes 20 minutes to mow the lawn now and I can get three mowings on one charge. Just don't let your lawn get to the point that it needs bailing. I didn't get the self propelled model like someone else said because its so easy to push. What I liked about the Dewalt compared to the other brands was the foot print is similar to that of a a gas powered push mower. The other advantage to an electric in addition to the no oil and gas thing is storage. Fold the handle and prop it up in the corner of the shed out of the way. Going on forth season with it and no problems with the mower or batteries. You can also mow at 6 in the morning and not wake the neighbors

17. Member

I bet you have a gas powered drill also!

Or you don't own tools and you should have your man card pulled.

Seems like a stupid statement now, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by RangrSkipr View Post
    I downsized from a 42" JD to a battery powered Dewalt when we moved off our acreage and into town. Came with two 20V 10ah batteries that fit all of my other Dewalt tools and blower. Takes 20 minutes to mow the lawn now and I can get three mowings on one charge. Just don't let your lawn get to the point that it needs bailing. I didn't get the self propelled model like someone else said because its so easy to push. What I liked about the Dewalt compared to the other brands was the foot print is similar to that of a a gas powered push mower. The other advantage to an electric in addition to the no oil and gas thing is storage. Fold the handle and prop it up in the corner of the shed out of the way. Going on forth season with it and no problems with the mower or batteries. You can also mow at 6 in the morning and not wake the neighbors
    This ^ is all true and good characteristics of the electric mowers.

Quote Originally Posted by bassnpro1 View Post
    I bet you have a gas powered drill also!

Or you don't own tools and you should have your man card pulled.

Seems like a stupid statement now, huh?

as the batteries lose their charge while mowing the blade does not spin fast enough for a good cut. Neighbor swaps his battery half way when cutting, 1 battery won't make it. Seems like most the time he is pushing it, why have self-propel?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast