Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is the best Deck carpet removal procedure?

Wondering if there is some type of liquid magic that helps soften and or loosen the glue from the gel coat on the deck and Aluminum locker lids?

Wanting to clean off the carpet and glue and start off fresh with new carpet.

Before any one suggests using foam padding on the fishing deck just don't unless you can solve the deck lids from rubbing on the surfaces below the lids and allows the lids to all lay flat and even. I would love a foam deck but I don't see how it would be possible on this deck.

Anyway any suggestions to speed up the carpet and glue removal is very much appreciated.

Deck as it sits now.

20240313_143828.jpg20240313_143832.jpg20240313_143840.jpg20240313_143847.jpg
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

2. Member
    Best chemical I've found is acetone.

If you are re-carpeting you can probably get away with some glue residue left behind.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

3. Member
    I remember watching a couple videos on restoration and they used goo gone and lots of it.

4. Member

5. Member
    When I replaced my old carpet, I removed all the lids and worked on each one individually. What I couldn’t pull off I soaked with goo gone and let it sit overnight. Then I scraped the lids. To remove the oily residue of the goo gone, I then sprayed with goof off (acetone), scraped some more until I got clean lids. For the deck I soaked with goo gone but tried to pull off carpet pieces intact. Then could use the old carpet as a pattern for the new. Then sprayed the decks with goof off to remove oily residue. I attached the new carpet with contact cement. It’s a messy job!

6. Member
    I've never done this, but I wonder how a flapper disc on an angle grinder would do. I need to replace the carpet in mine soon, and I hate using chemicals and breathing the fumes. I'll wear an N95 mask and give it a try when it's time. My lids are not aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by rednecktech View Post
    I've never done this, but I wonder how a flapper disc on an angle grinder would do. I need to replace the carpet in mine soon, and I hate using chemicals and breathing the fumes. I'll wear an N95 mask and give it a try when it's time. My lids are not aluminum.
    You’ll cut into the gel coat as well as dust up the whole working environment with carpet, glue and gelcoat dust. Think I’d rather smell acetone vapors than all that other crap. My .02 cents for using an angle grinder with flap disks.

8. Member
    Good old manual labor is what I found best. I've done three different boats and all were a pain in the butt and time consuming. I used a wire brush on an angle grinder to get the bigger areas of glue off. The results were worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Classicxl View Post
    Good old manual labor is what I found best. I've done three different boats and all were a pain in the butt and time consuming. The results were worth it.
    Did you use a metal or plastic scraper?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta Bass Fool View Post
    Did you use a metal or plastic scraper?
    Basically pulled the old carpet off by hand and used an angle grinder with a wire brush to remove the glue. I removed the lids to do them, wasn't concerned about using the wire brush because it's being recovered with carpet anyway.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta Bass Fool View Post
    You’ll cut into the gel coat as well as dust up the whole working environment with carpet, glue and gelcoat dust. Think I’d rather smell acetone vapors than all that other crap. My .02 cents for using an angle grinder with flap disks.
    Yep, It will be sanding by hand around the edges. I will pull up what I can, scrape the old carpet that don't come off, then sand the glue off. That's the plan.....

12. Member
    I used BassCat carpet also.

Quote Originally Posted by Classicxl View Post
    I used BassCat carpet also.
    Yes they are suppose to have plush carpet but might be too thick between my decks. I’d have to change out my pulls to use thicker matted carpet such as the carpet bass cat uses.

OK I just did a quick sample using Acetone and it allowed me to scrape the carpet off instantly with virtually no soak time. Pour, scrape and wow carpet gone, but glue still there. Now to get a gallon of Acetone and some goo gone. Think I’ll cover the goo gone with some plastic trash bags etc to keep it from drying out to allow it to have plenty of time to work on softening up the adhesive under the carpet.

I've done lots of carpet jobs and my method is to soak the carpet with Goof Off and let it sit for 15 minutes or so and it will peel right up. Clean up the glue residue with a scraper and then wipe down good with Acetone on a rag. Goof Off can be purchased by the gallon at HD, Lowes or Hardware store. Usually takes about two gallons for a 20'21' boat and a gallon of Acetone and lots of rags.

15. Member
    On the metal lids M.E.K. works too

16. Member
    Hit it good and hard with a pressure washer and that’ll loosen it up some too.! Crank the tongue jack up and pull the plug and get in and let the nozzle get real close.

17. Member
    Oscillating tool with scraper blade does a good job also flap disc.

18. Member
    Rubber decal eraser wheel on a drill.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianmoore25 View Post
    Oscillating tool with scraper blade does a good job also flap disc.
    This was by far the best for me

The carpet was so far gone so it will not peel up easily in long strips. It just falls apart too easy. I had a tiny bit of Acetone left so I did a sample test run with it and used the rest of it up. After running out of Acetone I used a scrap piece of tin with flat surface to scrape the front top deck clean of all carpet. I still need to get the carpet up above the recessed foot pedal, then remove all the glue.

The floorboard at the seating area is a little soft too so that might need to be pulled up and inspected. Hopefully it's just a soft floor and not the stringers. I'll upload some pics in the morning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast