Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    #FRB

Do you avoid showering when lightning is popping overhead?

I've seen stories where people get zapped in the shower while lightning is in the area but never seen or heard a confirmed case of it. Still gives me the willies when showering during a storm. I'm posting this right after showering early just in case the severe storms in Arkansas knocks out the power.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

No.

3. Member
    I get in and out quick when it is storming and I need a shower.
    "the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..."

4. Moderator
    Doesn’t bother me at all.

5. Member
    Haha!
    Haha
    ..top of my list now!

6. Member
    Yep, kind of stay away from showers and windows although I'm pretty sure it's all in my head.

7. Member
    You getting hit pretty hard? I'm on Greeson and everything is above us going over you.

8. Member
    I thought the requirements of ground rods eliminated that concern. I'm not an electrician though.

9. Member
    Don’t think it is in anyone’s head. My mother in law was hit by lightning going into her house. She survived it but was partly deaf afterwards. Blew out every lightbulb in the house. Blew the light switch and plug in covers off the wall. Also busted her porcelain kitchen sink. I don’t linger if I get in the shower.

10. Member
    As a small kid, there was a story about my grandmother surviving a lightning strike while doing the dishes at the kitchen sink, which was blown to bits.

Same people also claimed that my grandfather invented the wringer washing machine, but the patent was stolen by Maytag.

I don't enjoy showering in a thunder storm but do so anyway.

11. Member
    Yes I do. It is not a myth that lightning can run a waterline and kill or injure you although it happens very very seldom.

12. Member
    Nope.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dontr20x View Post
    Yes I do. It is not a myth that lightning can run a waterline and kill or injure you although it happens very very seldom.
    I would worry if the water line was still galvanized pipe. Since that one has been replaced with PVC, I no longer worry in my own house.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dontr20x View Post
    I am a survivor of such an event. Some 55 years ago, lightning struck the incoming electrical line on my parents house, rode the electrical line through the fuse box (melted ALL the fuses in the box) exited the electrical line out of the outlet next to their enameled metal bathroom sink (it was an OLD house) and went to ground. Unfortunately, I happened to have my hands on the bathroom sink, brushing my teeth. Knocked me unconscious, had first and second degree burns on my hands and arms and set our house on fire. Fortunately, I have only a spotty memory of the event, and thankfully, minimal scarring from the burns. My parents home did sustain significant damage from the strike.

15. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    You getting hit pretty hard? I'm on Greeson and everything is above us going over you.
    We got hit pretty hard with storms in northern Pulaski County. No damage on the property that I know of. Not sure if it was this stuff moving in or if I finally cracked the code but I had an epic day beating up on the spotted bass on Maumelle.

On the lightning a pine tree got hit a few years ago and literally got split in half longways. Sounded like a big pipe bomb going off. Blew bark everywhere and all over my truck too. Had to get it cut down and they played it safe when they did it. True pros that are worth every penny and then some!
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

I remember my Mom warning us about taking a shower or talking on the phone while it's lightning.

17. Member
    The only two reasons pine trees are good for build houses and attrack lighting where i live now had one big pine had it cut down
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    We got hit pretty hard with storms in northern Pulaski County. No damage on the property that I know of. Not sure if it was this stuff moving in or if I finally cracked the code but I had an epic day beating up on the spotted bass on Maumelle.

On the lightning a pine tree got hit a few years ago and literally got split in half longways. Sounded like a big pipe bomb going off. Blew bark everywhere and all over my truck too. Had to get it cut down and they played it safe when they did it. True pros that are worth every penny and then some!

This thread reminded me of 5th grade thunderstorm watching with the front door open and watching through the storm glass door. Lightning storms were epic. Heck I can remember lightning striking a pine tree in the front yard while bringing groceries in through the same front door. I could see the sparks flying off the tree, smell the electricity in the air and feel all the hairs on my entire body standing on end. That’s as close as I ever want to be around lightning ever again. Y’all down south can keep your thunderstorms, I’m cool with not seeing any more of those. They did look pretty cool though when the whole sky lights up with 10 or more branches of electricity fill the sky followed by chest pounding cracks. Boom!
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

No,
    I grew up with a Aunt that wouldn't allow us to sit on a bed if it was lightning
    It was just crazy

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robby Moser View Post
    I would worry if the water line was still galvanized pipe. Since that one has been replaced with PVC, I no longer worry in my own house.
    This is a perfect example of using that thing on top of your shoulders rather than blindly following adages from 50-80 years past.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast