What have they done to Lake Panosofkee???

Just got home from practicing for our club tournament next wednesday on Pano and got a shock!! NO pads anywhere!! NONE...the lake looks totally different from 10 months ago when I was there last. The woman at the landing said they sprayed all last August and September- anyone know if thats correct? Why the hell would they spray emergent pads? Unless they used a underwater chemical for the hydrilla and the pads were collateral damage.....any members live close by and can tell us what happened? -Dave
    “It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so. “ – Mark Twain

2. Member
    I’m sure they sprayed because they can and there is no one that can stop them..

3. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    Pads are the only thing that survived my home lake (Monroe). Used to be lined with reeds/buggy whips in about 3-4' of water with eel grass, pad fields and hydrilla behind the reeds.. Nothing left but small concentrations of pads now. They find a square foot of hyacinth and spray 4 acres of pads to kill it. Still not sure how they killed the reeds. Those things were tall and robust. Must of mixed up a double strength dose for those.
    Last edited by Mickstix; 03-15-2024 at 03:23 PM.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickstix View Post
    Pads are the only thing that survived my home lake (Monroe). Used to be lined with reeds/buggy whips in about 3-4' of water with eel grass, pad fields and hydrilla behind the reeds.. Nothing left but small concentrations of pads now. They find a square foot of hyacinth and spray 4 acres of pads to kill it. Still not sure how they killed the reeds. Those things were tall and robust. Must of mixed up a double strength dose for those.
    Yep...I4 shorline used to PRODUCE!!!
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66

5. Member
    I mean thats crazy - I noticed the big areas that had robust pads were devoid of ALL vegatation - man, what a shame.
    “It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so. “ – Mark Twain

6. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    I was halfway joking about the double strength dose, but if ya think about it.. It always turned pads yellow, they just recovered. Seems to reason 2x strength could/would kill them completely. Reeds too. Even when they claim it was "safe" on native stuff it killed eel grass. What better way to meet a quota? Unfortunately, I wouldn't put it past them.

7. Member
    It's not a shame it's criminal, and the people behind this onslaught on our states fisheries over the last couple decades should be held legally accountable. We need lawyers to make this a state wide legal suit with the people against the state, so it can be highlighted in the national media, right now its just he redneck fisherman and no one cares what they have to say.

8. Member
    Complain to your legislature instead of posting here. Chances are all you will get the the usual lip service. But if enough of you write, it may make them notice