Thread: Senkos

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    I spend about 6 weeks every year up in Northern Wisc fishing, mostly on a fairly smallish bass lake the family has property on. The senko type worms, by FAR, are my most effective bait there, year in and year out. I've tried most of the non-Yamamoto stick worms. If the fish are biting, pretty much any of the work well. But when they are playing hard to get the genuine Senko just works better. Have proven it to myself enough times over the years that I don't even look at the off brands anymore. I get the bulk bags of the real McCoy. Kind of a pisser they don't last more than one fish per worm, but with all the other money we spend catching these critters, the cost of Senko's is not gong to break me.
    John

2. Member
    I use yum, big bite baits, Yamamoto and Damiki for stick worms. I’d say 90% of the time I’m fishing them weightless.

in my experience:
    big bite baits sinks the slowest (they’ll actually float if you gently put it on the water surface even with a wacky hook)
    Yum and Damiki are fairly slow sinking but faster than BBB
    Yamamoto sinks faster than the other 3 with much more action when wacky rigged.

To me, Yum isnt a replacement for Yamamoto. If I’m up very shallow, 1-3’, or I’m using a weighted Texas rig use the BBB or yum. All other times I’ll use the Yamamoto. Damiki stingers are good when everyone on the lake is throwing a senko and you want to show them a different profile
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

I make my own no salt but use a soft plastic and a weighted wacky hook.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscatlildave View Post
    I make my own no salt but use a soft plastic and a weighted wacky hook.
    a weighted hook might be an equalizer. throwing them with a traditioinal t-rig hook, I know the senko casts a bit more like a missle and sinks a bit faster
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

5. Member
    I dont care for yum dingers. I started to pour my own senkos to save money.

6. Member
    I’ve switched to General.

This is all situational of course, but they all have a spot in the rotation.

If I need a slow falling bait or find myself fishing a bait with weight (c-rig, dropshot, trig), I am most likely reaching for the Dinger.

If I am fishing around smallmouth primarily, I am fishing a maxscent general. I have a ton of confidence with maxscent around smallmouth.

Most other situations, the senko gets the nod for me.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jamey1e View Post
    I fish Yum dingers and BPS baits but if I'm wacky rigging, without doubt they'll we a senko tied on. They just catch more fish. Also you need to shop around, senko's can be found a lot cheaper than that.
    Thats how i use them also. Senko only for weightless and wacky rigging but if im using a weight the dingers work also

9. Member
    Do wacky rigged senkos show up on FFS? I haven't tried them yet.

10. Member
    I like the strike king ocho. I've tried about all of the others but the fall rate wacky rigged just seems to fit what I want and it's got a good shimmy on the fall that bass seem to like. Wacky rigged my best color is baby bass. I work a wacky rig a little different than most so that white/green contrast I imagine gives a similar look to the flash of a dying baitfish.

11. Member
    Senkos for me. You only live once.

12. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by plowjock View Post
    Yamamoto's were good for one fish each.
    Plastic was way too soft.
    That all changed with the use of an O-ring.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

Have both, senkos usually catch more.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vaw121 View Post
    They really are easy to make these days. the formula is not that big of a secret anymore. 3/4 cup sinking formula Dead on plastic, 1/4 cup salt then ad 3.2 tbsp softener or worm oil. will get you close as hell.
    I'm sorry but thats not even close to a genuine senko.....Yamamoto actually uses very little salt. The weight is mosty due to fine sand that is in the mix.
    “It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so. “ – Mark Twain

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnman81 View Post
    That all changed with the use of an O-ring.
    The sliced ring of surgical tubing takes it even another level in my mind!

Quote Originally Posted by plowjock View Post
    Yamamoto's were good for one fish each.
    Plastic was way too soft.
    Mend-It will repair them.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    Mend-It will repair them.
    Acetone and clear PVC cement mixed in a 1:1 ratio will make a bait repair solution that works just like it
    Ranting incoherently

18. Derek McCullough
    Quote Originally Posted by george_l View Post
    The sliced ring of surgical tubing takes it even another level in my mind!
    WHat size, great idea by the way

19. Member
    This is a true story. I personally don't care what you buy and use BUT I marshalled for a BASS elite pro that has won multiple blue trophies and other top level tournaments. He's well decorated. He is sponsored by a top lure company that markets one of the top three in terms of sales senko type baits. He opened the boats compartment and said "you don't see this" and proceeded to rig up a SENKO from a yamamoto factory pack. BTW the color was green pumpkin and everybody makes that color so it wasn't a color thing. That tells me all I need to know about which one to throw. Senkos are cheap relatively speaking compared to the other fishing stuff we spend money on.

20. Member
    That's another brand that outperforms the senko and yum dingers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast