Thoughts on Talon Quick Disconnect Options

Going on my 5th season running dual 12' Talons and have had zero issues (knock on wood). I would like to update with newer PP blades but honestly I'm out of real estate for the pumps. I could make it work but not interested in spending that kind of money or dealing with the hydraulics and the install so I'll stick with the Talons until when and if they become a problem.

Since I'm needing to remove my engine to replace the top transom cap (519VX) I'm going to have to remove the Talons (sandwich brackets no jackplate) to gain access. I have tilt brackets but I don't have the electrical disconnect. I know I need them but to me $140 for a couple of cables is another unnecessary expense.

Sorry for the lengthy dissertation for getting to my question but has anyone here spliced in their own three pin water proof plug to serve as a disconnect? I'm pretty good with electrical as I do all my wiring and have considered several options but if someone has done this I would be interested in hearing what you used for making this connection.

2. Member
    No need for a disconnect you simply have to undo 3 wires. positive negative off the battery posts and the green wire for the alarm, I used a push pull connector on the green.

If you had to have a plug external you can buy any number of 3 wire plugs and splice it in.

3. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahomee View Post
    No need for a disconnect you simply have to undo 3 wires. positive negative off the battery posts and the green wire for the alarm, I used a push pull connector on the green. If you had to have a plug external you can buy any number of 3 wire plugs and splice it in.
    Oh I know exactly what I need to do to remove the wiring but should I need to do it in a pinch and conveniently I'm going to add a quick disconnect. I wired my installation a little differently than most probably do by using relays that are operated by a toggle switch at the bow or at the helm. This way I'm shedding the BT parasitic load when not in use and I can turn them on or off from either the bow or the console. Thanks for the vote of confidence on the plug. I'm moving forward with it

Talon Relays.jpg

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangrSkipr View Post
    Oh I know exactly what I need to do to remove the wiring but should I need to do it in a pinch and conveniently I'm going to add a quick disconnect. I wired my installation a little differently than most probably do by using relays that are operated by a toggle switch at the bow or at the helm. This way I'm shedding the BT parasitic load when not in use and I can turn them on or off from either the bow or the console. Thanks for the vote of confidence on the plug. I'm moving forward with it

Talon Relays.jpg

I have a toggle on the neg side of mine not for parasitic loss, its so I can re set them without flipping my full boat 12/36 disconnect.

I like weather pack connectors. I bought some to wire mine but never did it, I have had to take both units in for repair at a different time, no big deal really.

5. Member
    Buy $6 worth of 3 wire quick disconnects off amazon. Worked great for me for 3 years until I swapped talons for poles.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

6. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Thanks guys. I'm looking for bare connectors without pigtails so I can wire them direct. If you search for them you'll get 600 pages worth but they are all shipped slow boat from China At this point I may even consider bullet connectors shrouded with adhesive heat shrink. They'll work fine and serve the purpose for quickly disconnecting when time to remove a Talon

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangrSkipr View Post
    Thanks guys. I'm looking for bare connectors without pigtails so I can wire them direct. If you search for them you'll get 600 pages worth but they are all shipped slow boat from China At this point I may even consider bullet connectors shrouded with adhesive heat shrink. They'll work fine and serve the purpose for quickly disconnecting when time to remove a Talon
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=weather+p...f=nb_sb_noss_1

8. Member

9. Member
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning 6 View Post
    Buy $6 worth of 3 wire quick disconnects off amazon. Worked great for me for 3 years until I swapped talons for poles.
    I agree with Lightning, I did the same thing. Easy fix and makes it quick if you need to temporarily remove the Talons for any reason.
    Triton TR196DC / 200 Mercury Optimax- serial# 0T995641
    Dual HB 12" SI Helix Units
    HB Mega 360
    Garmin 1222 / LVS34 LiveScope
    Dual 12' Minn Kota Talons
    MotorGuide Tour TM
    Bob's Hydraulic Jackplate

Toyota Tundra SR5