Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    You couldn’t pay me enough money to go fish as a coangler nowadays….

How the heck do you fish effectively out in the middle of the lake while ole boy upfront is casting to what he sees on the tv screen?

and I still don’t agree with gas money… dude is there fishing whether he gets my money or not…. And it’s not like we’re going where I want to go.. he’s gonna stare at a tv screen casting a minnow on a jighead with me stuck out in nowhere land but I’m supposed to give him gas money?

I rather just go fish on my own…. I don’t get it..

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass.man65 View Post
    If you need or depend on your co to give you $$ you need to find something else to do.
    Sometimes accepting money is a gesture of mutual respect- it isn't because the boater is depending on it. Some men don't like to be viewed as being a charity case, which is what the boater projects by basically telling the guy he is too good or too high status to accept his money. If you want, just take half of it and you're satisfying both sides. To not offer money, you come across as an entitled freeloader.

5-6 rods max. My rule was always to bring rods that could fish a wide range of baits and always bring 1-2 spinning rods. 3 3700 series size boxes and a gallon ziploc bag with misc plastics. I always liked to bring m boaters something to drink and eat. Being friendly and courteous with them usually means they will position their boat a little more favorably for you or maybe they will reach for that net for you a little bit sooner.
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

When my Coangler is cool dude, I never take gas money. I’ve had some insist after cutting a good check before but I still try to give it back lol. I’m out there regardless the way I see it. But I appreciate the gesture, just don’t expect it

Quote Originally Posted by Spot-a-saurus View Post
    When my Coangler is cool dude, I never take gas money. I’ve had some insist after cutting a good check before but I still try to give it back lol. I’m out there regardless the way I see it. But I appreciate the gesture, just don’t expect it
    when I was a co angler most of my boaters never asked for anything but it always seemed like a good gesture to at least offer and slip them at least a $20 if they refused payment.

I had one guy pre calculate gas, oil, wear and tear on his boat, wear and tear on his truck/trailer, insurance costs, etc. requested I pay him to the penny..... it was like $32.14 so I gave him $40 and told him to buy his wife something nice with the extra....lol
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

Quote Originally Posted by b*******51 View Post
    when I was a co angler most of my boaters never asked for anything but it always seemed like a good gesture to at least offer and slip them at least a $20 if they refused payment.

I had one guy pre calculate gas, oil, wear and tear on his boat, wear and tear on his truck/trailer, insurance costs, etc. requested I pay him to the penny..... it was like $32.14 so I gave him $40 and told him to buy his wife something nice with the extra....lol
    Man that’s a whole other level he probably literally gave $7.86 to his wife
    Some real characters out there, sounds like you were a much better sport than most, many would’ve told him to pound sand

7. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    It always blows my mind that Co's feel they don't need to chip in for gas. They're looking for a free ride. They should offer some gas money and let the boater decided if he wants it. That's just common courtesy. If you disagree then get your own boat.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

8. Member
    Seems the boaters that are expecting gas money have forgotten the intent of co-anglers. They are not fishing partners but marshals that are allowed to fish. Without co-anglers then boaters have to double up & most complain about having to share control. A boater should gladly pay for gas to keep from having to share with another boater. I know several people that fish as co-anglers. They dont consider it a free ride at all. While yes they are competitive, it’s more about fishing for fun & hopes to learn something new. If they were all serious hard core then they would be a boater.

If you need or depend on your co to give you $$ you need to find something else to do.
    Nobody said that. It’s common courtesy to offer gas money. If you don’t then you are an ass.

Quote Originally Posted by marshman View Post

How the heck do you fish effectively out in the middle of the lake while ole boy upfront is casting to what he sees on the tv screen?

and I still don’t agree with gas money… dude is there fishing whether he gets my money or not…. And it’s not like we’re going where I want to go.. he’s gonna stare at a tv screen casting a minnow on a jighead with me stuck out in nowhere land but I’m supposed to give him gas money?

There’s very few people fishing that way on the bfl circuit. Maybe the exception would be up north smallmouth fishing.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MadYakker View Post
    That should be plenty of gear!!! But I don't have room for all tha in my ZX250
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marshman View Post

Same here no way I’d be a co today unless I knew the boater.

In this particular case it’d result in me casting to the front of boat into the zone. Including over the boaters line if I had to.

Quote Originally Posted by juice780 View Post
    There’s very few people fishing that way on the bfl circuit. Maybe the exception would be up north smallmouth fishing.
    It’s lake specific but it’s very common on highland impoundments. It’s been a while since something other than FFS in open water has won a bfl on dale hollow. Pretty common on Cumberland as well. My buddies on table rock and LOZ say the same. Its only going to become more common.

My dad’s friend was a co in the first event for mountain. He said they were routinely in 100’+ in the channel targeting suspenders in 40-60’. His boater did well, and let him catch a couple at the end of the day.

I usually boat but couldn’t attend this year because of work, my friends boating said the same. Deep offshore open water was the deal. Has been for a while now

14. Member
    I'll add that it is smart to bring rod socks - the kind that have straps that go over the reels so they don't blow off when you're running wide open. Not necessarily for all your rods, but enough to cover all of them but the two you expect to be using immediately. In a lot of boats they're harder to keep orderly than when they're laying on the front deck like you're used to having them.

Also, it's a good idea to reel your line in when you have to handle the net for your boater. My co lost a rod over the side netting one for me Sunday. We were fishing crankbaits and he put his rod down to net my fish. Immediately after he scooped my fish we heard the rod rattle on the side of the boat as it shot overboard. We know he wasn't snagged because we were casting downwind, and drifting towards the bait.

15. Member
    No more than two spinning rods and two baitcasters. Use a bass pro worm binder to put a couple colors of spinnerbaits,chatter baits, then one slot put few colors of shallow mid cranks. I quit taking big tackle bags full of crap only baits I have most confidence in for that tourney. Normally do not throw cranks unless they are cheap because most boaters are not going to get them back if hung. One slot for top water if water temps right. Place terminal tackle you may need in zippered pockets but I keep what I may use in pocket in small container. I keep plastics I know I will use in pocket as well. Don't need but 6 or so of you each color of soft plastics you know you will throw. Keep as simple as you can just keep soaking your bait. You may have fun may not. About the biggest thing they will do to piss you off is cut off graphs tell you that 4 lithiums won't run a console graph all day. About half you draw you may learn something positive the other half are no better than you just bigger egos. Just remember you signed up for the day and keep fishing till the end. Be courteous take care of their boat and be quick with net. Best thing to make you feel better that day is you are on the water and not in jail, hospital or on a roof putting on shingles.

16. Member
    When I fished in our club tournaments as a "non-boater", 4 rods, small tackle bag, small cooler, some times my own life jacket and money for gas, launching fees and parking.

You just got to love all the boaters on here saying he only needs 4 or 5 rods and a small tackle bag while they have 27 baitcasters in their rod box plus 6 on the deck and more lures than bps.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    You just got to love all the boaters on here saying he only needs 4 or 5 rods and a small tackle bag while they have 27 baitcasters in their rod box plus 6 on the deck and more lures than bps.
    I've never really understood the guys that get worked up about co anglers bringing too much stuff. As long as they keep the tackle / rods on their side and are ready to move when you say, who cares if they spend 10 minutes when you arrive at a spot untangling rods
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

19. Member
    I really don't care about or need gas money from co anglers. But I cannot imagine being a co angler and not at least chipping in $40 bucks or so. Common courtesy.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    I really don't care about or need gas money from co anglers. But I cannot imagine being a co angler and not at least chipping in $40 bucks or so. Common courtesy.

Come on man we all now know it's $32.14!
    If professionals who's careers depend on catching fish use FFS then that's what I'm using. Might be too simple of a philosophy but makes sense to me.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast