Let's talk trolling Motor Wedge (Amped, BFE, T&H, etc)

So looking at adding at TM wedge. I searched back but most thread seem to be boat specific... I have sort of a general question. I checked the manf. websites and none of them really talked about which model to choose (2.5* or 5*) except BFE, who advised if you want to raise front of TM x inches, pick y.

I am more interested in degrees. This might be a stupid question, but does the 2.5* version change the shaft angle 2.5*, and same for the 5*? IE, is it a one to one relationship? I would have thought so, but the BFE page talking about inches now has me confused.

Is there a preferred angle to arrive at? Right now i am neg (shaft leaning aft). I know it's preferred to have a bit of positive lean (shaft pointing forward), but is there an actual number we are trying to achieve?

2.5° is roughly 1" per two feet which is pretty close to the length of a trolling motor mount.
    I recommend taking a two foot level and laying it next to your trolling motor mount, if you have a place to lay it when you're on the water.
    A torpedo level on the shaft is also a good idea.
    Level or slightly forward is probably ideal for 2d.
    Bcb has some #s
    Yes it will change the shaft angle
    Last edited by Chris85; 03-25-2024 at 07:37 PM.
    Chris Hawkins

Ranger 520VX / Mercury Optimax 225

3. Member
    Id set a angle finder on your boat someplace while your on the tm on the water.

Then at home lower your trailer tongue until you get to that angle and then put your tm down and measure your shaft and see how much you want to change it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris85 View Post
    2.5° is roughly 1" per two feet which is pretty close to the length of a trolling motor mount.
    I recommend taking a two foot level and laying it next to your trolling motor mount, if you have a place to lay it when you're on the water.
    A torpedo level on the shaft is also a good idea.
    Level or slightly forward is probably ideal for 2d.
    Bcb has some #s
    Yes it will change the shaft angle
    I used an angle finder on the shaft, after jacking the boat to match the actual boat/deck angle when on the water and standing on the front deck, and the TM shaft is at neg 1.5* I want to move the shaft over to the positive. If it's a true 1 to 1 ratio, then theorectically the 2.5 wedge would move me to 1* pos, the 5* wedge to 3.5* positive, if I understand correctly...

That is accurate… you want a few degrees positive forward to prevent cavitation and aid in weed control, driving them down with prop thrust.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    That is accurate… you want a few degrees positive forward to prevent cavitation and aid in weed control, driving them down with prop thrust.
    That is what I thought as well, a bit of positive angle to drive slightly downward (or maybe I read that in one of your older posts :). So if it's truly a 1 to 1 ration, then looks like I will need to go with the 5* then, I was just suprised it would need that much change. Of course in 2016 Skeeter probably didn't plan on guys putting 3 graphs and hanging a 360 of the TM either lol. Not to mention a bilge full of Lithiums.

So finally got a BFE 2.5 wedge installed - it's been sitting here in the box for two weeks, but the "one week, 10 days top" trailer build of course took over 3 weeks :(, so I finally just got her back yesterday. But she's all ready, going to head to tomorrow or Monday to test it out.

I went with 2.5 instead of 5* based on BFE recommendation. They said the 5* is really only for boats that have an extreme bow dipping down issue, and that it would be very rare to need it otherwise.

8. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Who is BFE?

Never mind figured it out....sobdid u need this due to weight or boat design? Don't you have a Force?
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    Who is BFE?

Never mind figured it out....sobdid u need this due to weight or boat design? Don't you have a Force?
    I have a Ghost. My TM shaft angle was slightly negative as mentioned above. Skeeters aren't know for having a down sloping nose/bow, so I suspect the combination of lighter batteries in bilge and 3x heavier electronics up front just changed the balance of the boat, ie the nose sitting a bit lower than normal.

Well, I am glad I only went with the 2.5*... it definitely moves the angle, more than you would expect. I think this might even be a tad too much... I mean, it works fine. Just looks unusual :). Although this is a gopro sitting on a dock slip walkway, I set it there so I could get my weight on the front deck like "normal". But who knows if the walkway is level, or the posts were plumb, etc.

11. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Thanks for the feed back and pic...I see what you are saying it "may" be a little to much but may be better than before....

Thanks for the feed back and pic...I see what you are saying it "may" be a little to much but may be better than before....
    Yeah as I understand it would rather bit leaning a bit forward vs a bit backward :).

13. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I saw on AMP website that he has an 1.8* wedge now.

https://ashmoremarine.com/shop/ols/p...leveling-wedge

I saw on AMP website that he has an 1.8* wedge now.

https://ashmoremarine.com/shop/ols/p...leveling-wedge
    Figures lol. Would probably be perfect. I'm tempted to try putting a rubber washer or simlar on the two rear most bolts to lessen the wedge effect.

EDIT - checked with BFE and sent them the pic - they said it looks good to them.

For Info, it's also not returnable, since it has been installed. Which I uderstand, but this is one of those items that you really don't know if it will work until you install it.

So just for anyone thinking about one, try to be sure it's the version you need before installing :).
    Last edited by 78Staff; 05-06-2024 at 03:07 PM.

15. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Have an Ultrex right now and it leans towards rear pretty good.....plan on getting the Force by summer and think I will try the 1.8° wedge....