2014 150 Pro XS issues

Ranger 118C 150 Pro XS Ser#2B113483 23p tempest plus issues with temp and water pressure. At a high idle (5-6mph) engine wants to get up in the 190’s and have to let off to cool down to 150ish. WOT 5350rpm temp is between 98-111 degree with water pressure between 8-10psi. Been doing some Reading and everything is pointing towards thermostats or poppet valve. As for water pressure idk what to do cause at idle the pee stream is fine but at WOT it’s more intermittent spraying or not a stream
    2015 Ranger Z118C Mercury ProXS 150

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Water Pump Impeller and ALL THREE gaskets. Very likely gasket under impeller plate is torn or blown out.

Moving your engine/post to the 2.5L Forum for you.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    On plane temps will be what they will, thermotstats are bypassed once the poppet opens. Your water pressure should be 10+psi at WOT.

If you're servicing the water pump yourself see this FAQ topic that shows replacement of all 3 gaskets - Water Pump Replacement
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Member
    agree ^^^^^^ 190 too hot , use OEM thermostats please
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Usually change water pump every year, just got my kit in. So poppet and thermostats seem normal with the temps given?

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    BEST rule of thumb: ALWAYS, ALWAYS start AT THE SOURCE: The Water Pump. Only AFTER that's been addressed should you look to other components, especially since the symptoms you describe lean towards aeration of the water supply.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Thanks Don you’re the man

8. Member
    Ok guys changing water pump and got to the pump housing and mine looks different than in the picture I don’t have a o ring like in the pictureIMG_9857.jpegIMG_9858.jpegIMG_9859.jpeg

9. Member
    tha base is a 2 part piece , the piece you see stuck in gearcase is part of the w/p base assembly pop it out of gearcase and reassemble o ring should come with new part
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    tha base is a 2 part piece , the piece you see stuck in gearcase is part of the w/p base assembly pop it out of gearcase and reassemble o ring should come with new part
    what’s the best way to pop it out without damaging anything

11. Member
    i use thin screw drivers on each side

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    i use thin screw drivers on each side
    Got it out and looking at the base picture should I order some oil seals for the drive shaft, should I be concerned about the little bit of oil on top?

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Why not just replace the entire base with all the seals in it?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    didnt know you could do that I’ll try and find the part number to order

15. Member
    Best way as Don says, that way you don’t have to be gentle prying out the old base. I usually will screw to long screws into the base and grab the screws with pliers to pull it out. Makes fast work.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

16. Member
    ^^^^+1

17. Member
    Easiest way!
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

18. Member
    Ok changed everything out and water pressure changed now from 10psi-13psi and wot and temps are normal now at idle 156ish and if it gets higher it drops right back down. Wot temp is 98-106

19. Member
    Sounds good.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax