OK, I think you got me with this VXs.

Full disclosure...I'm a Ranger guy, been one for a long time, thought I would always be one. But....things do have a way of changing. Several factors have lead me to this place, but the deciding one was Ranger parting ways with my dealer (Nichols Marine-Tulsa). They way Nichols has taken care of me over the years, I would be a damn fool to buy a boat anywhere else. So I am left with the choice of Vexus or Caymas. No offense, I'm just not a fan of the high profile of the VX. But this VXs caught my eye, and after riding in it last weekend it has caught my heart.

They were giving demo rides at the classic on Grand last weekend, and I took advantage of this and rode in the VXs20. We had a good chop on the lake that day with winds 15-20. This boat was full of fuel, but with zero gear. The prop was a Fury 24-4. It blew out of the hole, nose down she ran 65 through the chop, and felt incredibly solid! Loved the ride and solid feel of this boat, and the quality was obvious. If I was going to be critical of anything, I think there needs to be a small dry storage area within reach of driver for things like phone, wallet, keys, weigh in fob, etc. I think they could put a small box in the lid of the cooler in future models....like say in the 2025 model that I may well be ordering?

Hearing there will be a 21' version maybe as early as this fall, cant wait to see it!!
    2018 Ranger 521C, 2023 Merc 250 Pro XS 4S (3B261295), 36V Ultrex, 10" Atlas, Power Poles, Lowrance 12 Carbon, and 2-12 Lives.

2. Member
    Glad you liked the demo ride sir! I always thought I'd be in my OG 2001 Ranger 522DVX as well, but time passes on and I choose to upgrade to the VX20 and now the VXs20. I agree about the need for more dry storage for the driver (there's never enough) but there's far more positives about the boat than negatives in my book!
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by City17Banner View Post
    Glad you liked the demo ride sir! I always thought I'd be in my OG 2001 Ranger 522DVX as well, but time passes on and I choose to upgrade to the VX20 and now the VXs20. I agree about the need for more dry storage for the driver (there's never enough) but there's far more positives about the boat than negatives in my book!
    Agreed, that would be my only improvement that I've seen so far.
    2018 Ranger 521C, 2023 Merc 250 Pro XS 4S (3B261295), 36V Ultrex, 10" Atlas, Power Poles, Lowrance 12 Carbon, and 2-12 Lives.

4. Member
    They are nice boats for sure I highly recommend getting one with a Yamaha SHO on it instead of a Mercury.

5. Member
    Ok, dare I ask what is the basis of your outboard recommendation sir?
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by City17Banner View Post
    Ok, dare I ask what is the basis of your outboard recommendation sir?
    Better quality control, faster and you can get over 300hp out of it with just a tune.

7. Member
    Thanks for sharing your recommendation sir!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick2268 View Post
    Full disclosure...I'm a Ranger guy, been one for a long time, thought I would always be one. But....things do have a way of changing. Several factors have lead me to this place, but the deciding one was Ranger parting ways with my dealer (Nichols Marine-Tulsa). They way Nichols has taken care of me over the years, I would be a damn fool to buy a boat anywhere else. So I am left with the choice of Vexus or Caymas. No offense, I'm just not a fan of the high profile of the VX. But this VXs caught my eye, and after riding in it last weekend it has caught my heart.

They were giving demo rides at the classic on Grand last weekend, and I took advantage of this and rode in the VXs20. We had a good chop on the lake that day with winds 15-20. This boat was full of fuel, but with zero gear. The prop was a Fury 24-4. It blew out of the hole, nose down she ran 65 through the chop, and felt incredibly solid! Loved the ride and solid feel of this boat, and the quality was obvious. If I was going to be critical of anything, I think there needs to be a small dry storage area within reach of driver for things like phone, wallet, keys, weigh in fob, etc. I think they could put a small box in the lid of the cooler in future models....like say in the 2025 model that I may well be ordering?

Hearing there will be a 21' version maybe as early as this fall, cant wait to see it!!
    Couldn’t agree with u more about Nichols marine in Tulsa. They’ve always gone out of their way to take care of me for years. I’d always been a triton guy, but when they went away from those I had to make a switch also. I went the way of caymas. It seems like ranger guys gravitate toward the vexus as triton guys lean toward the caymas. That vexus is a beast of a boat though.

I went from a Ranger z521 to VX21 and would do it again in a heartbeat.The VX is huge. It’s like riding in a Escalade on the water. With that said a little more speed and a little more wind deflecting by the console when at the helm would be nice. Hopefully the VXs addresses those issues. The VX storage is also very deep and I am assuming the VXs is a little less deep and easier to reach?

10. Member
    Said they've shaved 6" off the height of the boat. This is noticeable in the port and starboard front storage box, but I can make it work.

11. Member
    Back in 2020 I switched from Ranger to Vexus. My last Ranger was a 99 487VS, I didn't think there was a better riding boat. I absolutely loved it. I was approaching retirement and didn't care for Bass Pro owning Ranger. I knew someone that had a 2019 VX20 and we went for a ride on a not so nice day. 20+ winds gust up to 40. Perfect for seeing what any boat is really made of. I put comfort, dry ride and dependability ahead of speed, looks, bells and whistles. Anyway, I went to a Vexus dealer and gave the boat and trailer a good inspection. Looking in the places that most people don't see and manufactures employes don't worry about quality, neatness or problems down the road due to sloppy work. I was impressed with the extra mile they went with wiring, dry storage compartments and keeping places you have to get down and look under neat and sturdy. Feeling very confident about buying one I placed my order and I have not regretted it for moment. I went to the factory and saw my boat being assembled and was taken through the plant from the beginning of building to completion. Was really impressed with their infused composite construction of the hull and many other features. If your looking for a 90 mph bass boat that you can only run WOT on slick water days with a bunch of useless bells then Vexus is not your boat. If you want a comfortable, dry riding, dependable boat with just the features you want and you can run WOT at 65-75 MPH on a lake with a 20+ MPH wind then Vexus is about your only choice.

12. Member
    I was looking to buy a Caymas or Phoenix after 22 years in a 205 Ranger. Decided to give Vexus a look after some encouragement from a friend. Glad I did. Found a 2020 VX20 in immaculate shape and purchased it the week after Thanksgiving. Smoothest, best riding boat I have ridden in through 52 years of boat ownership. If you want speed then look elsewhere but if you’re looking for a smooth ride in all kinds of weather conditions then this is your boat.

13. Member
    all the great minds at ranger left and created vexus so I would expect it to be an amazing boat!!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

14. Member
    My vxs20 came with a fury 23 4 blade. Going to try a fury23 3 blade to see if the speed picks up. Hole shot is unreal so i feel like i can sacrifice slower take off for better top end speed. Fully loaded tourney ready I got 68.5 mph.
    2024 Vexus VXs20 / Mercury Pro XS250 / Garmin Electronics / Minn Kota Quest / Minn Kota Raptors / Bob's Hydro Jack plate

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    all the great minds at ranger left and created vexus so I would expect it to be an amazing boat!!!
    So that is why they are slow, makes sense now.

16. Member
    I have a Ranger Z520c. Any idea how the VXs performs with the trolling motor down? Possibly similar to the Ranger fishability?

17. Member
    I've owned both the 520VX and the 522DVX and the VX20 was already very comparable to both those older boats in fishability minus the extra height in the gunwales and top cap or excess freeboard. Now with the VXs20 having ~5" less freeboard I would imagine it fishes better than either of these older boats I have owned in the past. Certainly, only someone who has both a Ranger 520C and has access to a VXs20 would be able to provide a more definitive answer to your question sir.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboat View Post
    I have a Ranger Z520c. Any idea how the VXs performs with the trolling motor down? Possibly similar to the Ranger fishability?
    I’ve had 4 521c. I would say it’s a very close comparison in storage and fishability. It feels like a ranger and rides like a ranger (obviously speaking about pre ‘16 rangers). I honestly couldn’t be happier. The boat feels tighter if ya know what I mean. I wasn’t crazy about the VX boats when they were released. I couldn’t pass up the vxs though. Much more traditional feeling boat. If you loved the Ranger C boats, the VXS is absolutely the boat for you
    2024 Vexus VXs20 / Mercury Pro XS250 / Garmin Electronics / Minn Kota Quest / Minn Kota Raptors / Bob's Hydro Jack plate

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick2268 View Post
    Agreed, that would be my only improvement that I've seen so far.
    Are u lookin at silver vxs with a white stripe and red pins at the Tulsa dealer? I saw that one today and I have to say that is one beautiful boat!!!