Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Garage ramps, a warning.

Friend of mine hit me up over the weekend and told me this warning tale.

He was working on his wife's car, had the front end up on two ramps and the parking brake set. For whatever reason, the parking brake let go, the car rolled and he was pinned. Said he could not get a full breath, but was fortunate he had the garage doors closed which stopped the vehicle from completing its movement and totally crushing his chest and had his cell phone on him and could get to it to call his wife using his speed dial and she called 9/11 and they came and rescued him.

He was pretty shook up and it really rocked his family too. He was like I know better, I don't know why I thought it would be ok, just dumb luck I didn't kill myself. I just stood there looking at him and it hit me I could have been going to his funeral last week instead of talking to him.

Scary stuff.

2. Member
    wheel chocks better choice -- glad he was ok
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Member
    Yup. He was like "I have wheel chocks, but it was going to be a quick two minute thing". Lesson learned. He was really shaken up over it. I mean, what can you say he hasn't already thought to himself? Im just glad he is ok.

4. Member
    The best lessons are always the terrifying ones that you somehow live through.

5. Member
    My ramps have a dropped area for the tires that are a PIA but a good safety feature.

6. Member
    So it popped out of park and the emergency brake let loose ? Or it was a manual not left in reverse and also had the emergency brake pop?

I wonder if his emergency brake even works??? IVe seen people think they do when they actually dont.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    So it popped out of park and the emergency brake let loose ? Or it was a manual not left in reverse and also had the emergency brake pop?

I wonder if his emergency brake even works??? I've seen people think they do when they actually dont.
    i always say, if it can happen it will. shaw grigsby said "control all things that you can because there are so many you can not"

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post

I wonder if his emergency brake even works??? IVe seen people think they do when they actually dont.
    I don't actually know. I was just standing there in shock when he told me and all I could think was thank God you're here. This is a very good friend, the kind of analyzing what happened wasn't really on my mind and I don't think I really want to go back into it with him and find out. This was a pretty shocking thing he went through, I could tell it really shook him up. Shook me up just hearing it.

I am totally convinced that whatever safety precautions he didn't take before, he is going to always take now. That much I do know, he knows how close he came to not seeing his wife and kids again.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    I don't actually know. I was just standing there in shock when he told me and all I could think was thank God you're here. This is a very good friend, the kind of analyzing what happened wasn't really on my mind and I don't think I really want to go back into it with him and find out. This was a pretty shocking thing he went through, I could tell it really shook him up. Shook me up just hearing it.

I am totally convinced that whatever safety precautions he didn't take before, he is going to always take now. That much I do know, he knows how close he came to not seeing his wife and kids again.
    Yeah man I get ya..

Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    Yes, glad he was ok, but wheel chocks are a must. I never do anything without them.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    Always use wheel chocks when vehicle is on ramps or jacking it up!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PumaDave View Post
    Always use wheel chocks when vehicle is on ramps or jacking it up!
    Definitely!

Glad he was ok.

Scary! Those ramps are sketchy at best, I gave up using them years ago.
    2020 Tracker 190 TX | 115 ProXS | 4" Jackplate | Quicksilver Q4 21P Prop | Garmin Force w/MillerTech 36v-60Ah | Livescope |

YouTube - Fishing & Lithium Battery Content: https://www.youtube.com/@goodmanfishing/videos

15. Member
    I use my ramps all the time but the tranny is in Park, parking brake set (it works well) and rear or front wheels chocked depending on which wheels are on the ramps.

I needed to put 2x8’s to extend the ramps so I could get my wife’s Camry up and on the ramps. To hold the wooden extensions from slipping off I drilled one 1/4 hole thru the wood and thru the metal ramp and the just dropping in a 2”x1/4” bolt. No nut actually needed. Easy Peasy it’s so Breezy……..

The "quick jobs" are the most dangerous. We tend to let our guard down because nothing will happen in a short amount of time. Glad he's ok, the garage door was his guardian angel that day.

17. Member
    Glad you buddy is OK. The definitely could've gone from scary to tragic real quick. All good advice above about safely using ramps. I have another PSA to share about using ramps carelessly and the unintended consequences that can happen...especially if you're 16 and trying to impress your new girlfriend.
    I had only been dating this girl for about a month when she made the comment about needing to take her car in for an oil change. Wanting to impress her, I quickly told her not to worry and I would take care of it for her. I had changed the oil numerous times on my truck, so I knew it wouldn't be a problem. The only difference was I could shimmy my way under truck without having to use ramps or a jack, but her compact car did not provide this option.
    There I was, 16 years old with some metal ramps set up in my parents garage , ready to change my girlfriends oil. As I started to drive the car up the ramps, all I could think about was how impressed she would be and the ways she might express her appreciation. I pushed the gas pedal just a bit to get up the ramps and settle into the indented area at the top...but apparently I stepped on the pedal just a bit too hard. You guessed it. The car goes over the ramps, leaving them stuck under the car with some noticeable body damage behind the front wheels. Needless to say, I didn't receive the appreciation I had hoped for and we weren't together that much longer. She ended up turning into a short haired, hateful liberal, so looking back, taking her car Dukes of Hazard style off the ramps ended up working out after all.

18. Member
    Glad he is okay.
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

19. Member
    Glad your friend is ok. Bad deal for sure.

20. Member
    Glad your friend survived. Appreciate the post as most of us need to think about what we are doing from time to time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast