Follow-up to my Float switch installation thread

This is a follow-up to my thread on installing a float switch for my bilge pump https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread...9#post13442619.

I need some suggestions on how to fix the float switch to the hull. In order for the float switch to work correctly, it must be installed at the same level or slightly above the bilge pump. I'm installing this float switch in my small, 14 foot Lund. (The boat has a full floor, carpet, and a raised front deck. So, it's not a regular open floor type fishing boat.) The bilge area in the rear of the boat is divided in half by an aluminum panel with holes at the bottom to allow any water to flow from side to side. The starboard side takes up about 2/3 of the rear of the boat and houses two batteries (which sit on a small shelf), the bilge pump, and the livewell pump, as well as all of the hoses for both. The port side is where the 6 gallon portable gas tank sits on an elevated shelf. But, there is a section about 8 inches long and 6 inches wide at the center of the boat that is open down to the hull. There is no room to install the float switch on the starboard side so this area on the port side is the only area where I can install the float switch.

I have cleaned the grime from this area and am down to the bare metal. The question becomes how to install the float switch to the metal. In order to get the float switch level with the bilge pump, I need to elevate it. It turns out that a small piece of 2 X 4 is perfect for this. I will screw the float switch to the top of the 2 X 4. But, how should I attach the 2 X 4 to the hull? My idea is to use RTV silicone. But, to allow the silicone to grip the hull I will need to rough up the aluminum. Instead of doing that, I thought about installing a small piece of anti-skid material (the kind used on steps...see link below) on the bare aluminum and then using silicone on top of that to attach the 2 X 4. The glue on these anti-slip pieces is SUPER sticky, so I doubt that it would every loosen up. Then, I can also drill some holes in the bottom of the 2 X 4 in order to help it grip the silicone.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SKID-GUARD-...p-Tape/3185621

(I wish I could simply use screws through the divider panel between the two bilge areas to hold the 2 X 4 piece in place. But, to do that I would need to remove several hoses, etc. to get access to the starboard side of the panel. Too much of a PITA if the silicone will work just as well.)

Whatcha think?
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Maybe some pics would help.

Starboard side
    Attachment 546374

Port side
    Attachment 546375

Small trough to mount float switch
    Attachment 546376
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

3. Member
    Again, I would simply replace the current bilge pump with an auto sensing bilge pump.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

4. Member
    I used JB Weld for this purpose in an older boat and it worked well. You do need to be careful not to use too much.

5. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning 6 View Post
    Again, I would simply replace the current bilge pump with an auto sensing bilge pump.
    This simplifies everything you're trying to do.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning 6 View Post
    While this might be the simplest solution, I don't want to get into dismantling the current system, rerouting hoses, etc. I'll look into this if/when my current bilge pump breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
    I used JB Weld for this purpose in an older boat and it worked well. You do need to be careful not to use too much.
    JB Weld would create a very permanent bond, right? Maybe I should use something that could be removed...just in case.

8. Member
    I like what your doing and why except one thing. I would not use wood 2 x 4. Get a piece of composite 2 x 4.

What about sticky back Velcro? I use it to attach the battery to the side of my DIY Kayak transducer pole and it is very strong.
    Have not tried it under water though.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Quote Originally Posted by 5keepers2 View Post
    I like what your doing and why except one thing. I would not use wood 2 x 4. Get a piece of composite 2 x 4.
    Good idea. I wonder if a store would have some scrap/ I'll have to call and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    What about sticky back Velcro? I use it to attach the battery to the side of my DIY Kayak transducer pole and it is very strong.
    Have not tried it under water though.

Velcro was one of my first ideas. I tried it, but I didn't think it was stable enough and I wasn't sure that the glue would stick well enough not to come loose.
    Last edited by Jeff Hahn; 03-28-2024 at 09:36 AM.

11. Member
    Jeff, as mentioned above, I would also use a piece of composite instead of wood. No worries with rot later on. To fasten, I have used a good 2 part epoxy (permanent though). BCB uses a product called Euroflex to fasten down many things. It is removable. I have also used a silicone ADHESIVE with success and it is also removable. Just put something heavy on top of the plastic piece until your product bonds. Velcro may not stick well in a wet environment.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

I got some composite material today on which to mount the float switch. I went to a local hardware store and ask what they had. Of course, everything was in a length longer than I wanted. I told the clerk that all I needed was a 6 inch piece. He took me out to their dumpster, picked out a couple small pieces and gave them to me, no charge! Good deal!

13. Member
    3m makes a couple different types of marine adhesives just for this purpose. Silicone falls apart after a few years. Lexal is one that will work. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

I think you're overthinking it. Just replace the current pump with the automatic one. They usually have a manual override built in that you can activate using a switch. Use the same manufacturer's auto pump and it'll be virtually plug and play.

Steel City Bassmasters - Granite City, Illinois