Thread: SPRO RODS

SPRO RODS

Anyone notice the Spro Rods ?
    a Mcstick and a Rock Crawler Rod.
    Makes me wonder if Mike Mcclelland is leaving Falcon Rods after 25 years?
    John Beckwith the original founder and owner of Falcon Rods passed away in February.
    Could there be some major changes coming? Christie mentioned him on stage at the Classic last week.
    I know Spro is making a Jason Christie Reel …
    Last edited by Southcoast Bassin; 03-27-2024 at 08:48 PM.
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

2. Member
    I knew John Beckwith and I'm sorry to hear that he passed away. I know that his son has been running the business for years - didn't hear of any impending changes but who knows?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ttranger View Post
    I knew John Beckwith and I'm sorry to hear that he passed away. I know that his son has been running the business for years - didn't hear of any impending changes but who knows?
    I just hope his son keeps it going…..
    over the years I’ve taken on Expride’s and a couple of NRX …
    However …. I love falcon rods
    my Dad did too …It will always be my favorite Rod regardless of the latest and greatest.
    The Falcon rods were way ahead of the game for years.
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

4. Member
    Not 100% sure but I've heard the Spro rods are being made by Virtus right here in the Ozarks. If Mike were to make a change it would make sense for both he and Christy to go with Virtus or Spro since they are made at the old Falcon facility in Harrison AR and many of the models mimic the old Falcon models.
    Another Table Rock guy James Watson is Fishing them also.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerjockey View Post
    Not 100% sure but I've heard the Spro rods are being made by Virtus right here in the Ozarks. If Mike were to make a change it would make sense for both he and Christy to go with Virtus or Spro since they are made at the old Falcon facility in Harrison AR and many of the models mimic the old Falcon models.
    Another Table Rock guy James Watson is Fishing them also.
    I do hear lots of great things about them Virtus rods.
    Guess we will find out soon enough…
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcoast Bassin View Post
    I do hear lots of great things about them Virtus rods.
    Guess we will find out soon enough…
    Just heard that Midwest rod, which is the old Falcon plant and makers of the Virtus and made in the U.S. BPS rods has been sold to GSM outdoors.
    They own Phenix . Will be interesting to see what happens to Virtus. Hopefully they continue making them.

Quote Originally Posted by rangerjockey View Post
    Just heard that Midwest rod, which is the old Falcon plant and makers of the Virtus and made in the U.S. BPS rods has been sold to GSM outdoors.
    They own Phenix . Will be interesting to see what happens to Virtus. Hopefully they continue making them.

Virtus is built at Mid America Rod. Mid America is the old ArkRod (purchased from Jim Berhle a few years back). ArkRod built the US made Falcons (and others). ArkRod is not ARK International aka Ark Rods.

GSM Outdoors recently purchased Mid America -> https://www.wired2fish.com/news/gsm-...ca-rod-company

Mid America has also been doing private label work, so they build several rods brands.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cidgrad View Post
    Virtus is built at Mid America Rod. Mid America is the old ArkRod (purchased from Jim Berhle a few years back). ArkRod built the US made Falcons (and others). ArkRod is not ARK International aka Ark Rods.

GSM Outdoors recently purchased Mid America -> https://www.wired2fish.com/news/gsm-...ca-rod-company

Mid America has also been doing private label work, so they build several rods brands.
    Thanks for the info Alex.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cidgrad View Post

Thats exactly what I said.. Ark rods is Louie Zhang

10. Member
    I’ll say this … If Them Virtus rods were designed with the threads cut to the right spot …
    Or used a screw lock type cover like the new Gen Cara …
    Id buy the entire lineup!
    they are incredible rods … They feel identical to the USA Cara’s
    I just can’t fish with exposed thread rods anymore
    Once you get used to fishing with your index finger on the blank without threads …
    Its a game changer
    Wish Virtus could make that change … it would be incredible
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250