Question Idle changes when motor trim up or down

Put my 1990 charger 180vf with 85 Johnson GT150 J150stlcos in the water for the first time since I purchased October 2023. Have been working on it all winter and have replaces Stator, Timer base, Power pack , rectifier/regulator, and fuel pump. Replaced a VRO pump which had been disconnected and wiring harness cut off. I replaced it with a dual pump from Master Tech Marine which is hooked up to the lower pulse port. When running on muffs this winter, I noticed it you trimmed up, the motor while running just a tad, the engine rpms increased by about 200 to300 rpms. Today when I put it in the water to set the ide at 650 in gear , it did the same thing as I was curious to see of it would-- and it does. Idle increases when trimming up and Idle decreases when trimming down. Anybody have the answer to why it would do this. Thanks in advance

Possibilities: fuel lines, primer bulb, carburetors-floats or clogged jets
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

3. Member
    There is no pinching on the fuel lines- primer bulb seems fine to me. Fuel line size seems to be 7/16 instead of 3/8 from the primer bulb to the connector on the engine. 3/8 to the fuel pump- 5/16 to the carbs.
    I rebuilt the carbs today. I got in the Johnson/Evinrude manual for my motor (J150STLCOS)and found the float drop spec. which said 22mm -28mm or 1 in +/- 1/8. So I proceed to set them at that. Before taking the floats off I measured to see where they were and they were close to 1 5/16- 1 3/8s. I set them all the same and as I putting the last one on (don't know why I didn't see it earlier) I saw a 1-5/16 embossed in the front of the third carb. I checked and all of them have that embossed on the front. So my question is what's the 1 5/16 embossed in the fuel bowl for.? Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Ptmccloud; 04-10-2024 at 06:39 PM.