Question Requesting the background story Mr Weed

on the name European Marine. This is not Europe so there should be a few words on how the name came about. Thanks and just curious here!

2. Member
    Maybe he was a jaguar tech before he transitioned to Marine tech.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Greatly condensed version:

Back in the early 90's I did a short stint in a small VW Shop, when Rhonda and I first started out we actually started the business for European built autos (VW, BMW, Saab, Volvo). One former customer asked if I could do something on his boat, apparently a few thousand cars that drove by saw the boat there and within a month there were more boats than cars. So European Auto Svc became "European Auto/Marine".

We got completely out of the Auto business in Jan. 1997, but folks already knew us by that name so it only made sense to keep the "European" part of it. European Marine, LLC from there on.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    That is really neat as I had wondered about the origin of your business name also.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Greatly condensed version:

Back in the early 90's I did a short stint in a small VW Shop, when Rhonda and I first started out we actually started the business for European built autos (VW, BMW, Saab, Volvo). One former customer asked if I could do something on his boat, apparently a few thousand cars that drove by saw the boat there and within a month there were more boats than cars. So European Auto Svc became "European Auto/Marine".

We got completely out of the Auto business in Jan. 1997, but folks already knew us by that name so it only made sense to keep the "European" part of it. European Marine, LLC from there on.
    Thank you sir! A good story!! Goes to show you.....if you have good service people will beat a path to your door!!!

I always wondered too...thanks

7. Member
    I thought it was because of the telltale stream coming out of the outboard,if your water pumps working-your a peein

Good story.

8. Member
    Neat story Don, and we now know where the "AM" in your username came from!
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Awesome
    always wondered myself
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

10. Member
    I figured it was that he started working on Volvo powered sterndrives I/O's, or maybe that Ferarri version

In all seriousness, cool story Don.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

Quote Originally Posted by 5keepers2 View Post
    Thank you sir! A good story!! Goes to show you.....if you have good service people will beat a path to your door!!!

12. Member
    Cool story!
    2005 Triton TR-186
    2024 Mercury Pro XS 150

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJ3 View Post
    I figured it was that he started working on Volvo powered sterndrives I/O's, or maybe that Ferarri version

In all seriousness, cool story Don.
    I can neither confirm, nor deny, the beginning portion of that quote.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor