ShorelandR wear sleeves

I am re-greasing my shorelandR tailer hubs and when I removed one of the hubs, the wear sleeve came off with the hub.
    I have a new wear sleeve, but am not certain how to install it.
    I know that loctite is supposed to be used to glue the wear sleeve onto the spindle but am uncertain if I need to actually drive the wear sleeve onto the spindle.
    It looks like it is close to fully seated without driving it on but I can't really tell.
    And if I have to drive it, what could I use ?
    It's about 1.75 inches in diameter.

2. Member
    I made a driver out of pvc parts. Also heated sleeves in a cup of hot water. Iced the axle. They went on tight.

3. Member
    Both YouTube videos; "Shorelandr boat trailer replacing axle spindle wear sleeves using red threadlocker", "trailer trauma wheel bearing basics". Use Loctite Threadlocker # 271 (high strength), it has to cure for 24 hours though and Shorelandr trailers recommend using a Calcuim Sulfonate based grease , like Lubrimatic Corrosion Control Marine bearing grease or Lucas Marine grease. If you need parts, try easternmarine.com, don't buy cheap "made in China" parts !
    Last edited by FrancoCialone; 03-31-2024 at 12:46 PM.

4. Member
    I bought the genuine parts. Guy in video had a supplemental description where he said just hold the sleeve on the spindle for 15 minutes, then let it cure, he didn't describe driving it on. Didn't look like the manufacturer put any loctite on. Looks like they just threw the wear sleeve on and let the bearing hold it on. Guy in the video said the loctite is to prevent water getting under the sleeve. Mine had some rust under there because there was no loctite. I put loctite 641 on the spindle and wear sleeve and reinstalled the hub.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    I made a driver out of pvc parts. Also heated sleeves in a cup of hot water. Iced the axle. They went on tight.
    Were you sleeves ShorelandR parts or some other type of sleeve ?

6. Member
    I made a driver out of galvanized pipe for my EZ Loader trailer. A reducer fitting, then 6 or 8" of pipe, then a cap. I don't remember the reducer size (I want to say 1 1/2 by 1 1/4) but I took a wear sleeve to the hardware store and found one that it slid into and fit nicely. The pipe and cap were smaller but large enough to fit over the spindle. Works pretty slick.