Re-carpet on 05 TR-186

My 2005 Triton still has the original carpet, and is in decent shape considering it's 20 years old. However, it's time to get a makeover. I've had a couple of quotes to replace the carpet, and also have spoken to a few guys who have done it themselves. The consensus is that it's not worth it and can be a pain.

If I were to tackle this project (would do it in the winter), what could I expect? Ballpark pricing from BassBoatSeat.com would be around $750. This includes 24oz carpet, glue, padding, and new trim.

About 10 years ago I redid a Bumble Bee boat that I had at the time. To be honest it wasn't as bad as several people made it out to be. Cleaning the old glue off is the worst part of it. If you do it in the winter, be sure your garage is heated. Remove all your lids to make it easier to work with. Take your time and make sure you run the carpet in the same direction.

3. Member
    here is a link to the triton ZI did a couple of years ago. I would recommend the hydro turf that I used it is holding up great after two years of hard use. it cleans up great and dries quickly. it took about 50 man hours to complete the job start to finish over a couple months in the winter.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/7ZqBXiMimPJHpa9v6

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle24 View Post
    About 10 years ago I redid a Bumble Bee boat that I had at the time. To be honest it wasn't as bad as several people made it out to be. Cleaning the old glue off is the worst part of it. If you do it in the winter, be sure your garage is heated. Remove all your lids to make it easier to work with. Take your time and make sure you run the carpet in the same direction.
    100% agree. Just did mine this past Winter. It wasn’t too bad; worse part was trying to get temps regulated for glue curing times.
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

5. Member
    I will say that you probably don't want to use the carpet from bassboatseats.com. I've had a few customers bring me their own carpet that they purchased from there and it is not very good. I've used the carpet from skeeter on many boats and it's great. Also had a few guys that supplied carpet from bass cat and it's hands down the best I've ever put in. My point is that it's the same work either way so I would go with the best carpet I could.

6. Member
    I recarpeted my TR20 a couple years ago. I got the carpet from Marine Carpeting. They will sell the carpet already cut and with directional arrows for certain boat makes. They had it for my Triton. Made it a lot simpler to do myself. I also padded the decks with closed cell padding from ProTec Mats. Getting the old glue off is the hardest part. I removed all the lids and seat pan. Just pay attention to which way the lids open so you put all the carpet on in the same direction.

7. Member
    I used a palm sander to remove the glue from my aluminum lids, no chemicals and worked great.
    1998 Triton TR-20, 2017 Evinrude 150HO

8. Member
    I bought carpet from bassboatseats.com also and did not like it , its still in a storage unit .
    Ive carpeted 25+ boats over the years and also would recommend buying from basscat .
    They sell a couple diff oz `s
    Best to get a sample and check if the thickness will work with your lid`s
    You can also trim the sides of lids w/ thicker carpet down with hair trimmers
    Ive always removed glue with a somewhat dull butt chisel - wide 2" carpenters
    2000 Champion 190SX
    2000 Yamaha VMAX 150
    Garmin Force
    106`s @ bow & console
    93 SV UHD 2 @ bow
    LVS 32 perspective
    LVS 34 forward
    Talon

9. Member
    I've had good luck removing most of the old glue with oscillating tool and scraper blade

10. Member
    Thanks for all of the input!

11. Member
    Goo-Gone gel to remove the glue. Soak it and let it sit awhile....scrapes right off easily.

https://www.amazon.com/Goo-Gone-Pro-...87817689&psc=1
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

12. Member
    Third not using the carpet from Bass Boat Seats. Get it from Triton or the Bass Cat carpet. I recarpeted my Ranger a while back and it was time consuming but not a hard job. I used my old carpet as templates for cutting the new. I did a lot of other work at the same time including fixing/re-riveting all my lid hinges.

I bought a "precut" 20oz kit from marinecarpeting.com for my Triton TR-185. The deck precut dimensions weren't right and they sent me a roll with the approximate length and width and I made my own front deck section. I still had to do a lot of trimming for the precut kit so I wouldn't recommend going that way. Just get a long roll and trace your old carpet sections and cut slightly oversized to match each section. This will also save you some money since precut is a little more.

Goo gone and some razor scrapers are the way to go. I bought some scuff pads for an angle grinder and they were way too aggressive and I took up some gel coat in areas. Frankly, glue removal was the longest process by time.

14. Member
    I appreciate all of the comments. Any recommendations for new locker pistons or replacement hinges?

Gas shocks and Triton hinges.

https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/