Solution to CM1 Controllers Losing Connection

Sharing this in case anyone else runs into similar issues. I have 10ft blades, CM1, handheld controller, dash controller, and bow stomp controllers. Occasionally various controllers would not connect, but it didn't always happen. Fresh batteries never solved it. Then coincidentally I added a spare prop holder to my bilge just in front of the pumps. With a prop in there suddenly NONE of my controllers would stay connected. I keep other things in the bilge area, like a throwable, ropes, jumper cables in a bag, weigh bag. I removed everything as a test. Of course every controller then connected perfectly. Frustrating cuz I want to use that space. After researching I found this article on extending the CM1 antenna on the control board:

https://www.texassaltwaterfishingmag...er-pole-remote

I had some light gauge wire lying around, so I made the modification in the article above. My boat has 4 of those 1/8th inch ports on the gunnels for black lights, and they aren't connected. I ran the two new antenna wires to one of those and electrical taped them in contact with the metal housing.

I put my spare prop back on the holder and stuffed everything back into the bilge and tested. It seems to have worked as all controllers now connect instantly and seem to stay connected. Hope this helps somebody out there avoid the frustration I was experiencing.
    2005 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    2010 Yamaha 250 SHO
    10in Atlas Hydraulic, 10ft PP blades

2. Member
    do newer model have more range and less dropping issues?
    Last edited by mactlman; 04-03-2024 at 07:05 AM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    newer model have more range and less issues?
    Yep, I'm aware. In researching my issue I saw that CM2 went to a higher frequency. But there's still a lot of us out there on CM1. And the upgrade to CM2 isn't trivial from a cost perspective.
    2005 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    2010 Yamaha 250 SHO

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bbarthelt View Post
    Yep, I'm aware. In researching my issue I saw that CM2 went to a higher frequency. But there's still a lot of us out there on CM1. And the upgrade to CM2 isn't trivial from a cost perspective.
    i was asking not telling -- my pumps are buried deep but are the cm2 also I believe thanks
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

5. Member
    So sorry Mactleman. My mistake. Yes: Here's the quote I found in the FAQs on power pole's site :
    • CM1 anchors operate on a 400 Mghz signal. CM2 anchors operate on a stronger 900 Mghz signal which increases the range and response time from the wireless controllers.
    2005 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    2010 Yamaha 250 SHO