90 HP Mercury 4 Stroke Lower Unit Oil

Killing time so figured I would change the lower unit oil.

Got it drained to find out I don't have enough of Mercury gear oil. Think it was last summer I went looking in town and at the local general boat repair and screw up place, all they had was

Honda 80/90 Hypoid Gear oil. I am sure that is what they use in every outboard they service.

It says it is compatible with applications calling for API-4 and GL3 products.

Would you use it, or should I wait until I get to wherever to buy Mercury gear lube?

It is 125 mile drive one way to find a Merc dealer.

If I should wait til I get some new oil, should I pump the old oil back in it to keep it wet?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You "could"- but I would strongly recommend the Mercury or Quicksilver High-Performance for best results. You can probably pick it up at a Wally World or large fishing/camping/outdoor retailer.

Moving your post to the dedicated 4-stroke forum for you... please be sure to provide your serial number when posting.

Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thank You Don.

4. Member
    <See Announcements> or Don's place
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 04-22-2024 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Announcements- BBC Sponsors

5. Member
    Try Walmart, they might have the Quicksilver equivalent oil, they used to not sure they still carry it or not.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay