installing acess/rigging hole in bow

2018 pantera classic

looking to install an access hole (bcb sells a 6-1/2" cover on their website) so I can thru bolt a dual ballzout mount.

wondering what I should use to create hole and how large I should make it

I am also wondering where I should put it...my classic has the larger recess to allow for TM pedal fwd and backward.

TM pedal is currently back but once putting graphs on new dual balzout mount I would like to move it forward.

thanks!
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

additionally where would I get the insert for the tm tray? my boat did not come with one.

3. Member
    The hole cut by BassCat in my 2021 Caracal is a 4" hole.

4. Member
    Considering there are no mold redesigns hopefully Cat addresses this going forward as it's pretty clear with the new stuff what it there in insufficient. I made what was there work with scope connections but it was an absolute beating. I should have just drilled another hole.

5. Member
    I cut the hole in my p2. Best upgrade I ever have done. It makes working in the bow so much easier. I did purchace the hole cover from BCB. I went a little bigger than 4 as far as hole size. I can not remember but seems it was 4.25" or 4.5". Just remember to chamfer to top side of the hole and remove the burr on the bottom side. This prevent crazing around the top edge of the hole, also your arms will be thankful!
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

they usually have factory access holes under the trolling motor pedal....mine did not for some reason. I added my second graph and running wires was a real pain but at least with the classic you have great under deck access from the center rod locker. I am hoping to go to a dual ballzout or BBT dual stacker for my graphs and will need to thru bolt so ill have to cut an access hole but taking a 4-5" hole saw to my boat is not something I am looking forward to lol

7. Member
    I cut my hole under the trolling motor pedal. Put the pedal back and you never know its there.

Quote Originally Posted by west_tn View Post
    I cut my hole under the trolling motor pedal. Put the pedal back and you never know its there.
    what size hole and did you use a cover?

9. Member
    Worked on a friends 2023 Puma and that hole under the trolling motor is to small. Needs to either be 4" square hole or even better maybe 4" wide by 5-6" long. The best would be a hole that's 80 percent of the foot pedal area and a piece of seaboard as the floor/cover for the foot pedal to be mounted to. Leave a 1-2" ring of fiberglass to support and screw the Seaboard into. Took forever rigging his boat as we had to either work through that hole blind and with just are wrist through the hole (couldn't get past our forearms). Or stuff your self half in the starboard rod locker and try reach up with a long wrench with the bolt taped into the wrench. Does Not need to be that hard.

If it were my boat I would have cut a bigger hole and covered it with 1/2" seaboard and make a pair of 1/2" seaboard washers to put under the other side of the foot pedal where the screws go.
    Last edited by trashmanssd; 04-05-2024 at 07:07 AM.
    2020 Ranger 521L, Merc 250 Pro XS

10. Member
    My cougar was a real bear to rig in the nose. This is something I love about my fxr...it has a metal nose cap (assuming aluminum). You take it off and can easily access everything up there. Really surprised basscat doesn't do this, like most everyone else is doing now.

Maybe they'll add that before I start looking at my next boat this winter.
    Last edited by Bogeypro; 04-07-2024 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Correcting
    2023 Skeeter FXR20
    Lake Guntersville

Quote Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
    Worked on a friends 2023 Puma and that hole under the trolling motor is to small. Needs to either be 4" square hole or even better maybe 4" wide by 5-6" long. The best would be a hole that's 80 percent of the foot pedal area and a piece of seaboard as the floor/cover for the foot pedal to be mounted to. Leave a 1-2" ring of fiberglass to support and screw the Seaboard into. Took forever rigging his boat as we had to either work through that hole blind and with just are wrist through the hole (couldn't get past our forearms). Or stuff your self half in the starboard rod locker and try reach up with a long wrench with the bolt taped into the wrench. Does Not need to be that hard.

If it were my boat I would have cut a bigger hole and covered it with 1/2" seaboard and make a pair of 1/2" seaboard washers to put under the other side of the foot pedal where the screws go.
    I did exactly this
    2022 Basscat Jaquar
    Mercury 300 Pro Xs

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by b*******51 View Post
    what size hole and did you use a cover?
    I did not use a cover since you can't see it. I can't remeber what size I cut. Either 4 or 5" I think.