Thread: Reel Bearings

Reel Bearings

I used to change out OEM bearings on older Shimano Curados to ceramic bearings which improved performance. The current editions come with S-ARB bearings. Would the reels perform better, smoother these S-ARB were changed to ceramics? Thanks for your opinions.

The Shimano bearings are very good, and a lot of aftermarket bearings (even some ceramic) are not as good. After much research and trying some name brand Boca red seal and full ceramic (white), I ended up with Hedgehog Studio bearings being my favorite and I will use them over any OEM bearings. I have them in my Antares DC and Aldebaran reels. They spin longer when testing and are unsealed (open) on one side. That makes them easy to clean and add a drop of oil (spool bearings) if you like. You won't find a GREAT improvement with any brand, but I see about 5% or 10% increase in distance and start up energy compared to Shimano bearings, but may be greater for low end reels, or older bearings. Another thing to consider is that the need to use breaking or thumb to prevent backlashes is going to limit your distance some, no matter how long they spin.
    Lowe Tahiti Deck Boat- Fish, Ski, Lounge- Rain or Shine

3. Member
    I agree with GPtimes2. No need for ceramic bearings. I too use Hedgehog bearings and they have done me well over the years. Shimano bearings are good, if you are having issues with them, give them a good cleaning before you buy different bearings.
    Practice, practice and more practice, and if you think you're good practice some more (Cadman circa2006)

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    Shimano bearings are good, if you are having issues with them, give them a good cleaning before you buy different bearings.
    Agree with this. After a good cleaning in an ultrasound, Shimano bearings spin forever. Better than any other brand I have cleaned, including my Daiwas.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    Agree with this. After a good cleaning in an ultrasound, Shimano bearings spin forever. Better than any other brand I have cleaned, including my Daiwas.
    +1

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    What's this ultrasound you speak of?
    Wishin I Was Fishin...

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmada View Post
    What's this ultrasound you speak of?
    Small little ultrasonic cleaner. I actually picked it used from Marketplace for ten dollars a few years ago. You can get them new on Amazon for 40 dollars or so, for cleaning jewelry.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

8. Member
    I clean my bearings and reel parts in an untrasonic cleaner as well. It definitely does clean bearings really well as catdude28 mentioned. I bought mine at harbor freight.
    Practice, practice and more practice, and if you think you're good practice some more (Cadman circa2006)

9. Member
    I believe the Japanese bearings are pretty good too, but over time, they do get hard to clean. I have not tried ultrasonic cleaners, but I can’t see how all the grit can be taken out with the metal seals in place. I use the orange seal Boca ceramics, but I remove the orange seals (BIG difference). Not only do they perform noticeably better, but they are also easier to clean.