Where is the SFE 20 Amp starter circuit fuse on my 25HP Mariner?

Hello,
    I have a 1996 Mariner Model 25 ELH (also listed as 7025311ED), tiller control with an electric start button on the tiller handle. The owner’s manual claims it has a SFE 20 AMP fuse to protect the starter circuit. I have searched and searched after taking the cowl off of my Mariner... but cannot find any fuse, anywhere. So, I need a little help here. Can someone show me where the fuse is by circling it on a photograph? I’m assuming it’s either a cartridge fuse or blade fuse. Thanks in advance for the help. Mac
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Should be in the red wire between the RED wire post on the Rectifier, and the push-button starter switch.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Hello EuropeanAM,

I checked the the red wire between the RED wire post on the Rectifier and the push-button starter switch as you suggested, but no luck. No fuse. I do know what a simple fuse holder looks like for a cylindrical fuse, and also a holder for a blade fuse. But there is just nothing there. I'm sending (3) more pics of the port side of the motor. At the factory, they used a lot of 'shrink wrap like' tubes to run wires through. Since there are no obvious fuse holders that you pull apart to access the fuse, I looked for any bulges in the tubing used for the wires thinking maybe they ran the tubing over the holder. I manually felt anything that did look like a swelling in the tubing, and could feel nothing but individual wires. And I wouldn't think they (Mariner/Mercury) would hide something like a fuse inside wire tubing. When on the water, you shouldn't have to do major surgery on your outboard to access the starter circuit fuse.

I'm baffled. I keep thinking this shouldn't be that difficult. I had one tell me that maybe my motor just didn't have a main fuse, but I can't buy that. The motor connects to a 12V battery, and has an electric start. There HAS to be a fuse somewhere to protect the circuit. I've read that even if a person accidentally connects the battery leads in reverse, the fuse blows. So I really need to find it.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You're right- shouldn't be difficult. ONLY wire that would sensibly include a fuse would be the power supply wire between the BATTERY CABLE post on the solenoid and the Rectifier Output post, OR the red wire running from the Rectifier Output post to the push-button switch.

Been a few since I had my hands in one of those models, but that doesn't make the circuit intricate.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    ive got one laying right here now with cowling off and has no fuse , elec start tiller handle
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member

There is none......

Two things.......

First: I contacted an online site that sells marine motor parts, and posed the question to one of their techs. He first sent me a graphic of the harness that holds the fuse (that I could purchase for my Mariner outboard motor) in hopes I could track it down that way. But as has been the case, there was nothing. I still couldn't find the fuse.

The tech then mentioned that he had a thought, and asked me to send him a pic of my start button. Said that on some models of tiller outboard motors he has seen in the past, the manufacturer ran heavy enough gauge wire from the start switch that there was is no reason to fuse the connection, and mine might be one of them. He said he has seen it before on Johnson and Evinrude tiller outboards (although mine is a Mariner/Mercury). Keep in mind that this website deals with selling marine motor parts. so they had a lot of experience with issues like this. I'm providing the pics I sent to him for reference. In the pic #6, the red and yellow wires coming up from the bottom of the engine compartment are those coming directly from the start button on the tiller handle.

After seeing the pics, he responded saying that they had confirmed his suspicions. From my photos, he could see they had used a heavy enough gauge wire directly from the start button to the solenoid that there was no need to fuse the system. Mystery solved.

Second: I looked back in my very generic owners manual at that section where they discussed the presence of a SFE 20 AMP fuse. The title of that section was "FUSE REPLACEMENT - ELECTRIC START REMOTE CONTROL MODELS". I saw the "ELECTRIC START" and ran with it, but made the incorrect assumption that mine was a remote control model. Doing some research on what that was, I see that mine is not. So yet another reason why mine doesn't have a fuse.
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (449.0 KB, 2 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (435.4 KB, 2 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (441.8 KB, 3 views)

7. Member
    man thats great , did you advise him your engine is a tiller handle not a remote control model
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good catch. On a side note, you gotta love the "the wire is heavy enough it doesn't need a fuse" approach.

Not unusual back then... now-days there would probably a fuse and more. Glad you were able to chase it down, though.