Trolling Motor help

Adding a fortress 24vlt 80lbs, to my tracker tournament and need some help or ideas on running new tm wire. Currently there is 8g wire and kota says need 6g for this tm. How do I get new wire from back to bow. Current wire is inside wire loom with additional wires but I believe they taped all together so I can't use old as fish. Has anyone ran new ideas appreciated. Not sure if I have to remove all the decking which im trying to avoid. Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    I just used the existing #8 for my Ultrex,,,,no issues.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

3. Member
    I was hoping it could be used but wasn't sure. Thanks for info

4. Member
    Also, I replaced the circuit breaker and ditched the plug and hard wired it in.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

5. Member
    Couldn't get wire to console from battery compartment. Haven't done it yet but I'm thinking the cup holder next to the cooler can be removed, fish wire from back, under charger and up to center rod locker, then out the other side. I'm not going to use the plug so it's moot for me. I'm pulling 4/6 and use the old 8 for a clean power electronics circuit.

6. Member
    You are making more work for yourself than necessary IMO. The #8 wire will be fine for a 24 volt trolling motor if that is what you have. I just took off a 24 volt minnkota and replaced it with a Ghost, boat came with #8 so I just used that, works fine no issues.

7. Member
    8 gauge is fine, I ran that same trolling motor on my Tracker for years with 8 gauge wire, never had a problem.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    8 gauge is fine, I ran that same trolling motor on my Tracker for years with 8 gauge wire, never had a problem.
    Me too Installed a 60 amp breaker also.

9. #FRB
    I don't know if I would use a 60a breaker on that length of 8g. Looks like the Fortrex draws 56 amps MAX. For the length of wire you have a 50a breaker would be safe. 60 would be pushing it into the danger zone. Would you rather have your breaker pop to protect the wire or not pop and let the wire heat up and get crusty over time? Do what you want because I'm just an old 12v guy that happened to be heavy into car audio for 20 years so I know what I'm talking about when it comes to 12v and making sure wiring is safe. Even with a 50a breaker to protect the wire you have I doubt you'd ever pop it unless you run the trolling motor at maximum for more than just a short burst. If you have problems popping a safe 50a breaker on 8g wire THEN you can switch to 6g and a 60a breaker like what Minnkota recommends to begin with.
    wire gauge chart for amperage - Yahoo Image Search Results
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

10. Member
    Which boat do you have? Several different tournament models are out there.