Solix 15 Touch screen quits

I have a 6 yr.old Solix 15. in the last few weeks the touch screen will sometimes quit responding to “touch”. I can touch it and have it respond when I initially turn it on, but then an hour or so later, I can not get it to respond when I touch it. Using the push buttons and menus like it was a Helix still work and the unit otherwise operates normally.

Thoughts?

2. Member
    When mine does that, it’s because the current track is full.
    Chad St. Pierre
    Paulina LA 70763

3. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    It sounds like you have a Gen1 unit. They are very susceptible to doing strange things when the voltage gets low. Make sure you have good strong voltage going to the unit.

As chad202 mentions above, try clearing the track. That has caused issues with some units but not sure why.

Finally, Solix G1 units were also susceptible to Nav Data corruption. When this happens, it can also cause all kinds of strange things... loss of touch screen being one of them.

I process for testing to see if the NAV data is your issue is below. If none of these three are your issue, then the likely culprit is the touchscreen itself. Humminbird still repairs Solix G1 units so that will be an option. Humminbird will also want you to be at the latest software level to get support so, if you aren't already at the latest software level, go ahead and do that. This could also fix the issue.

Solix are prone to NAV data corruptions which can cause strange side effects (loss of network, loss of gps, intermittent sonar issues, touch screen issues, etc). This will usually fix the issues.

1. With all other units off, save your NAV data using the "Files" utility on the home screen.
    2. Save your settings using the "Files" utility on the home screen.
    3. Perform a NAV Data Reset.
    4. Perform a Restore Factory Defaults.
    5. Turn unit off.
    6. Repeat steps 1 - 5 for each unit on your network, with only that one unit turned on. You could do just steps 3 - 5 for all units after the first, but I like to have the extra backups on separate cards for safety purposes.
    7. Boot the control head which you want to be your "Master" (if you are on a version prior to 4.190... 4.190 and beyond removes the Master & Sync requirement) and do the initial setup or load your settings file using the Files utility on the Home Screen.
    8. Boot all other networked control heads.
    9. Sync the network (on versions prior to 4.190).
    10. Load your NAV data to the "Master" unit using the Files utility on the Home Screen... it will be automatically copied to all other units on the network.
    11. Redo any custom views on each unit.
    12. Redo Data Overlays on each unit.
    13. Set up your Favorite Views side bars.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

4. Member
    I have a Gen 1 Solix. never a touch problem. Gen 2 on the other hand, I have seen countless posts of losing touch function, needing to reboot. Many have sent them in. As Steve said low power will cause many things. JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    I have a Gen 1 Solix. never a touch problem. Gen 2 on the other hand, I have seen countless posts of losing touch function, needing to reboot. Many have sent them in. As Steve said low power will cause many things. JMO Bob
    While nothing is impossible, the battery is almost new (about 6 months old) and the voltage showing on my unit when on is 12.5+. I won’t say voltage is NOT the problem, but I feel like it is not the primary problem.

I want to thank everyone for the responses thus far. I greatly appreciate the help!

6. Member
    I have two Gen 2. The touch on the 15” unit on the console works about 10% of the time while the 12” unit works 90% of the time. My batteries are good and I regularly clear my tracks. I’ve learned to use the buttons to operate and don’t really miss the touchscreen enough to send back and pay for repair.

I've got a Gen 2 15" Solix that the touch screen has quit.
    Need to bite the bullet and send it in. About worthless for me as is. Not a cheap fix.

8. Member
    I use both ways depending on conditions. If you don’t miss the touch that might be the way to go. The current repair price for the G2 is $820, but the G3 new is about $3000 higher. The Apex even more. The new ones have their advantages but it depends on your budget as well. JMO Bob

9. Member
    I have a Gen 1 15 Solix that had the same thing happen. It will cost you $800 to send it in to Humminbird to see if a software reload will fix it.... If not, the price tag goes up AND you have to pay to ship it to Humminbird, the return shipping is included in the $800 software fix.

Not sure why mine quit either, as it wasn't battery or voltage, as I had all new heavier gauge wiring installed from the batteries to my graphs and I had a brand new battery dedicated to just my graphs, trolling motor and house batteries were wired to separate batteries. It seem like mine unit got glitchy when I started using custom way point markers to ID structure, versus depth/bottom changes versus fish. It was almost like that was too much for my unit to handle processing wise. That is when my screen stopped responding to touch.

10. Member
    What price goes way up? If it is out of warranty you do have to pay to send it in. They take your charge first and then give you your return authorization. If they can fix it, they do and then at that point charge your credit card and return your unit. Looks like $819 for the 15” gen 1. It is a flat rate depending on the Model. Bob
    Rate list link: https://humminbird-help.johnsonoutdo...nt-Repair-Fees
    Last edited by bobcoy; 04-11-2024 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Link added

11. Member
    My gen 2 touchscreen hasn't worked since it was basically new, sent it in under repair, they returned it 6 1/2 months later, still doesn't work

12. Member
    So you are saying they had your Solix for 6.5 months and it didn’t work when you got it? If it isn’t fixed you need to let them know and send it back with the shipping label they email you so they could fix it. Or am I misunderstanding your post. I have never heard anyone waiting for 6 months. I would have been on the phone with them every day. Hard to believe.

13. Member
    hard to believe or not, they had my unit for months, but i also have a Lowrance at console so it wasn't like i was driving blind. the touchscreen still doesnt work and i have contacted them with no help, and it functions much like a Helix would so why give them thousands more just to have touch function?

Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    So you are saying they had your Solix for 6.5 months and it didn’t work when you got it? If it isn’t fixed you need to let them know and send it back with the shipping label they email you so they could fix it. Or am I misunderstanding your post. I have never heard anyone waiting for 6 months. I would have been on the phone with them every day. Hard to believe.
    Clearly written, Bob. What's not clear? The man paid for the repairs and his unit still doesn't work properly. But this is normal in your opinion and you are very surprised that this can happen...
    But I already warned you about this, but you didn’t believe that this could happen. 90 days warranty after repair. This is very cool and a lot. A man threw away $820 and you don’t understand something...
    Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post

1. With all other units off, save your NAV data using the "Files" utility on the home screen.
    2. Save your settings using the "Files" utility on the home screen.
    3. Perform a NAV Data Reset.
    4. Perform a Restore Factory Defaults.
    5. Turn unit off.
    6. Repeat steps 1 - 5 for each unit on your network, with only that one unit turned on. You could do just steps 3 - 5 for all units after the first, but I like to have the extra backups on separate cards for safety purposes.
    7. Boot the control head which you want to be your "Master" (if you are on a version prior to 4.190... 4.190 and beyond removes the Master & Sync requirement) and do the initial setup or load your settings file using the Files utility on the Home Screen.
    8. Boot all other networked control heads.
    9. Sync the network (on versions prior to 4.190).
    10. Load your NAV data to the "Master" unit using the Files utility on the Home Screen... it will be automatically copied to all other units on the network.
    11. Redo any custom views on each unit.
    12. Redo Data Overlays on each unit.
    13. Set up your Favorite Views side bars.

This doesn’t work or you thought it solved the problem with a screen whose touchscreen refuses to respond

15. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by navi View Post
    This doesn’t work or you thought it solved the problem with a screen whose touchscreen refuses to respond
    It has worked for some with touchscreen issues... as well as a several other solix issues.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    It has worked for some with touchscreen issues...
    This malfunction can appear and disappear as unexpectedly as it appeared. The user will reset the current track, reboot the device and the touch screen works! Some time will pass, it will get hotter, the panel will heat up and stop working again, also unexpectedly. The factory released a software update for the first and second generations, it helped some, the rest did not, and only replacing the screen or, at best, replacing the unit will solve the problem. As this case of unsuccessful repair showed. But I agree with you that many people note an improvement in the performance of the unit after clearing the trip log.