2019 Nitro ProXS 150 blown power head

Hi all. I'm new to this forum. This weekend we had a power head failure. Took it to a mechanic and says it needs a new power head. Out the door cost for reman is about $10k, new one is about $2500 more. Both have a one-year warranty. Any reason to not just go with a reman? Also, he said he couldn't find any other contributing factors (oil pump issue, etc.). Oil was changed in December, 2023, and motor had less than 200 hours. Guess I just have bad luck...

2. Member
    You might want to look a new engine. The pricing is really coming down on them. Quick search and they are $13-14 K. Without knowing why the powerhead took a dump is a real problem IMO. It seems new you would reset factory warranty and have the option to have extended coverage for a long time.

I have a 250 Pro XS (two stroke) and we had a scare on the water today. If anything catastrophic happens to that engine I'm moving to the four stroke and spending the extra $$
    Scott
    2016 Nitro Z20 Pro
    Serial # 2B125401 - 250ProXS DFI/TM2

3. Member
    Thanks, I think that makes sense. I was concerned when the mechanic said he couldn't find anything else wrong, but we've done the scheduled maintenance so it definitely wasn't due to neglect. I called two dealers and they both quoted me $14,990 for a new motor. Guess I'm gonna have to bite the bullet...

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bamabassguy View Post
    Thanks, I think that makes sense. I was concerned when the mechanic said he couldn't find anything else wrong, but we've done the scheduled maintenance so it definitely wasn't due to neglect. I called two dealers and they both quoted me $14,990 for a new motor. Guess I'm gonna have to bite the bullet...
    No chance of Mercury trying to meet you half way even if out of warranty, but with low hours and service history, on some kind of cheaper powerhead perhaps?

5. BBC SPONSOR
    No way I would put a reman or new powerhead on for that cost when a complete new motor can be had for not much more, and the ability to add up to 8 years platinum warranty on top of that.
    Chad Phillips
    BassBoatElectronics.com
    Ultra Marine Service - Mercury Outboard sales and service
    1-800-931-9926
    1230 Topside Rd. Louisville, TN 37777
    Showroom & Office Hours M-F 8a-5p

6. Member
    $2500 more for a new motor? That’s a no brainer. No way I’d reman vs new motor for that difference. Get the new motor and have the piece of mind.
    2017 Nitro Z20 w/ Mercury 250 Pro XS
    MK Ultrex 112# Mega DI/ Mega 360
    Console: Helix 10 MDI G3N-Helix 10 MSI G3N
    Bow: Helix 10 MDI G3N-Helix 10 MDI G4N