200efi 2.5L performance upgrades

I have a 2000 2.5 looking to get a bit more out of it think I might put some high performance reeds in but just curious what other things I can do so squeeze out a bit more power. TIA

2. Member
    need some info on set up and ser number , reeds will help some things but dont expect amazing results small amount of milling to heads are best bang for bucks , then there's the fuel issue , i would tweek your set up for max performance install good reeds and be happy , or mabe find a 3.0L (now we cookin with grease) no substitute for cubic inches
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. BBC SPONSOR
    We make a combination reed valve and crankcase stuffer kit that will improve performance and protect your motor from broken steel reed sadness,available with necessary gaskets,Chris

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (Serial Number) when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Ser OT 104511….it’s on a 2000 nitro 901 and it’s adequate but full load slow to plane all that said I eventually want to find a 250 proxs and swap but in the meantime I wouldn’t mind spending a couple hundred bucks for a few ponies kinda like screwing with fast shit anyway just not a 2stroke expert but just looking for general ideas like say honestly runs fine just always wanna go a little faster lol #ain’t no replacement for displacement ����

6. Member
    HP rating on 901 ???
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    HP rating on 901 ???
    Yea I know not particularly concerned

8. Member
    250xb then

9. Member
    Not a lot you can do for a couple hundred bucks. Your best bet is to dial in the setup, such as motor height, prop, etc. Only real purchase is reeds and I guess the stuffers, not sure what you can purchase for a couple hundred bucks that will make a difference in speed. Trying different props would maybe be the best, but would have to have access to some to try and buy used.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

10. Member
    If your willing to run 93 you could have the heads cut. Check out Black Magic Racing. He's done work for me and is up 301 in Colonial Beach.

11. Member
    How much power do you actually get from cutting heads and higher octane?
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

You will need 10 to 15 Hp to achieve a 1 MPH increase in speed, It take a lot of mods to pick up 50 HP. A four bolt tunep-up is the best bet. Optimax 3.0 and do not modify it.
    Set up is first and formost and a inspection of the bottom of the boat for imperfections,,
    Thank You Leon Pugh

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    You will need 10 to 15 Hp to achieve a 1 MPH increase in speed, It take a lot of mods to pick up 50 HP. A four bolt tunep-up is the best bet. Optimax 3.0 and do not modify it.
    Set up is first and formost and a inspection of the bottom of the boat for imperfections,,
    ^^^^ Probably the best advice in the thread.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor