Falcon Cara rods technique question

I've been loving my Falcon Cara 7'3" Amistad for jig fishing and lately putting it to use for swim jigs with a great hook-up and landing percentage. I've been contemplating getting another that could also be used for rattle traps as well. My question is,should I be looking at the Cara 7'4" Heavy Cover jig rod instead for this ? I feel it could also be a great swim jig rod. My only concern is that another Amistad may be a little too much(tearing out trebles) for rattle traps although I've read where some people prefer this rod for ripping traps in grass.
    I'm currently throwing traps on a Powell Max 734 which is sometimes a little over matched in Fl. grass.The Powell is 1/4-1oz and the Falcon Heavy Cover has a 1/2-1oz rating.There are no Falcon dealers near me.I may end up getting both if TW can entice me with another sale.

The 7'2" Swim Jig rod is one of the best trap rods ever made as far as I am concerned. Very versatile rod.
    2015 Ranger Z520c / 2015 Mercury 250 Pro XS

3. Member
    That’s what I hear. The 1/8-3/8oz lure rating just seems a little light for grass fishing.

I've been using the 7' (CC-4) med. (Mansfield, I believe) for years with 1/2 oz traps.......

5. Member
    Swim jig rod is versatile. Lighter chatterbaits, and texas rigs and even throw some topwaters on them.

6. Member
    I will third the swim jig rod.

7. Member
    Just bought the swim jig rod. Have only fished it one full day but I’m loving it. May get a second one for buzzbaits.

8. Member
    I have 5 of the 7'2 swim jig rods. They are great for many things. I use mine for squarebills, jackhammers, smaller spinnerbaits. I think you could use if for a lot of topwaters. Great Rod!

9. Member
    7”2 Swim jig rod is probably the most versatile stick that Falcon makes.
    They just started making it in the LowRider line too.
    The 7”4 Jig rod is great for 3/8 & 1/2 jigs.

Good for 1/2 ounce swim jigs too.
    The beauty of a parabolic rod like Falcon is it’s versatility.
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

10. Member
    I have the new lowrider swim jig rod , I use it for swim jigs and chatterbaits , it’s a true gem for either ! I’m mainly a Cara kinda guy but some the specific Lowriders and experts are awesome for the money !

I also agree about the parabolic actions making them versatile , IMO the falcons are just a little slower than most and that’s good thing I think , todays trends are stiff as broomstick with extra fast tip to make em sensitive !

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badboyjigs View Post
    I have the new lowrider swim jig rod , I use it for swim jigs and chatterbaits , it’s a true gem for either ! I’m mainly a Cara kinda guy but some the specific Lowriders and experts are awesome for the money !

I also agree about the parabolic actions making them versatile , IMO the falcons are just a little slower than most and that’s good thing I think , todays trends are stiff as broomstick with extra fast tip to make em sensitive !
    Do you feel this would be underpowered for 1/2oz chatter baits? I'm just a little skeptical of the 1/8-3/8oz lure rating.
    Last edited by jiggerjake; 04-27-2024 at 04:49 PM.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggerjake View Post
    Do you feel this would be over powered for 1/2oz chatter baits? I'm just a little skeptical of the 1/8-3/8oz lure rating.
    without a doubt it’s not underpowered for 1/2 chatterbait , I’ve thrown one all spring on it !

I do think the Lowriders are tick slower ( my term lol) than say the Cara , but for swim jigs that’s a plus IMO !