Lower Unit curse has struck me!

20 hours on a new lower unit, Fury 3 six months old, no impacts, no damage other than this! I think my case was cast on a friday afternoon at beer30. What should I expect from Mercury? My dealer is calling them in the morning.
    serial number 3B047351, 250 ProXS
    Attached Images Attached Images

I’ll be interested in what they say, best of luck
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

3. Member
    I wonder what the inside of the housing looks like? I Have two buddies that had that type of damage and you could see where something got caught between the housing and prop. You could see that it happened in reverse from the scratches; probably happened backing off the trailer.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    How tight is the prop nut?

That particular failure is something I would have to see in person, or at least have pictures of all related surfaces (inside and out, as well as info on prop nut tension) before making any "conclusion".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Don, it's 55 pounds, torqued per your directions.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    But have you checked to make sure it's STILL that tight? Loose nut, or some type of hub failure are suspects.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Yes. it was still tight, it's at the dealer's now. I was using the new style rubber hub.

I don’t like the looks of that
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Gotcha. See what they find in their inspection. I've seen at least one crack right there at 12pm... but not the fractured/lost material.

10. Member