Elite TI2-Trouble tracking Downloaded trails

So 2018 Lowrance Elite TI2 on the console of my ZX250 Skeeter.
    Point One Installed.
    Guide Trail Chips Installed for several Texas Lakes.

I set my Chart setting on Forward display and try and track the trails.
    Inevitably I am off the trails and I have tried at many various sizes for the screen to try and stay on trail.

I noticed another club member has Lowrance newer units and he sets on a trail and stays there.
    No drifting off course.

Is it my boat steering that has a little play or is it my GPS unit that won't stay on trail??
    I don't know?

Anyone else have this trouble and fix it?
    Do I need an updated unit?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Member
    have you calibrated the point 1 if yes than do it again if not do it the first time.

3. Member
    A screenshot or three would be a good idea here. :)
    Is "Guide Trail Chips" a map or a bunch of trails you have imported to your unit?
    Is it your position or your heading you find incorrect?

Your Ti2 with a Point-1 has the exact same accuracy as HDS Live and Pro, as long as the P1 is mounted like it should.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Basshopper View Post
    have you calibrated the point 1 if yes than do it again if not do it the first time.
    Nope. Never knew it was needed. Installed and connected by dealer at original purchase.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Colibri View Post
    A screenshot or three would be a good idea here. :)
    Is "Guide Trail Chips" a map or a bunch of trails you have imported to your unit?
    Is it your position or your heading you find incorrect?

Your Ti2 with a Point-1 has the exact same accuracy as HDS Live and Pro, as long as the P1 is mounted like it should.
    P1 mounted by dealer at purchase.
    I assume it is correct.

Guide trail chips is a map of trails purchased and imported to my unit. Lake Fork Guide Trails etc.

As I align my heading line on the trail, the play in the steering unit takes me from side to side on the trail, even though I try hard to align the forward heading line on the trail.

Maybe it is my hydraulic steering that needs to be tightened up.

Any Thoughts?

Thanks to both Basshopper and TC for responding. I am still perplexed.

6. Member
    Since this Lowrance video was made 4 years ago, it may be relevant (or not).
    Sep 17, 2019
    Champion 184
    Mercury 175 EFI

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearetta View Post
    P1 mounted by dealer at purchase.
    I assume it is correct.

Guide trail chips is a map of trails purchased and imported to my unit. Lake Fork Guide Trails etc.

As I align my heading line on the trail, the play in the steering unit takes me from side to side on the trail, even though I try hard to align the forward heading line on the trail.

Maybe it is my hydraulic steering that needs to be tightened up.

Any Thoughts?

Thanks to both Basshopper and TC for responding. I am still perplexed.
    You should never assume that anything not mounted by you is mounted like it should. :) Especially when it comes to headingsensors (like your P1) and transducers, as mounting this perfectly requires on water testing, something installers rarely do.

You don’t load mapping on your unit, it reads mapping directly from the memorycard. If you have loaded something, that sounds like a bunch of trails or routes. If so, they could be formated to something different than your Lowrance chartplotter, and be off.

You can easily test your GPS-receiver, which is what is giving you your position. (Not the same as heading.) Your unit has an internal GPS-receiver, try to switfch from the P1 as source for position to the unit itself. You can also test agains your smartphone. Touch the screen on the chartplotter where your boat is, and your position (lat and long) comes up. Check that agains the lat and long in your smartphone.