Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Have you ever lost your truck keys in the water?

Have you ever dropped your truck keys in the water? I've had this happen to friends. I've since kept a spare truck key on the boat just in case this ever happens.

2. Member
    Nope. I practice safe key management, IE it stays in a pocket until I am in my vehicle.

I haven't but a guy I know tossed his keys from the boat to his buddy on the dock who didn't catch them and watched them sink in 20 feet of water.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mean_dean View Post
    Nope. I practice safe key management, IE it stays in a pocket until I am in my vehicle.
    THIS… and I ensure that anyone launching me does the same thing. And once in the boat, the keys go in a compartment until I/we are back at the dock.

5. Member
    yes, at a dock. went swimming and got them out.
    2023 Phoenix 21 PHX
    Yamaha SHO S/N 6KWL 1004324

No. I'm very careful with keys around the water, I've seen people drop them and couldn't retrieve them. I also carry a set of spare keys to everything that has a lock on the boat, truck or trailer in a compartment in the boat. I'm kind of paranoid in that I have 2 sets of truck keys in separate places on the boat

7. Member
    I dropped my keys off of my boat house in five feet of water. Went swimming in March 65 degree water and never found them. Had a real muddy bottom
    I have dropped enough tools off of that boathouse to fill up Bilge Rats tool box.
    Last edited by geodebasser; 04-18-2024 at 03:15 PM.

8. Member
    Not me but my tournament partner did years ago. Fishing with his son and getting off the water at dark his son pitched him the keys from the boat to him on the dock. He fumbled the football. A month or so later I found them with a strong magnet. Remote still works years later! What made it kinda funny was my partner is a very famous Wide Receiver from MSU. And a football coach at our local college! His son just shook his head and asked dad if he has lost his touch!

No, but I’ve dropped two phones in the water. That’s an eery feeling but at least I could still get home. Losing keys are bad.
    Dallas Cowboys…..Eventual Super Bowl Champions

10. #FRB
    I haven't but back in the 90's a friend of the family that we camped and played with a lot dropped dad's pleasure boat in the water. Dennis was up first to ski so in the water he went. A short while later Dennis lets go of the rope and we swing around to pick him up. As he's getting in the boat dad asks him where the truck keys are and Dennis slaps the back pocket of his trunks and says "in the lake". Dad had to break into the sliding back glass window to get the boat bag mom left in the truck. At least he was able to get in without breaking glass but to this day I refuse to own a truck with a sliding back glass knowing how easy they are to break into.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

No but I had a partner lock the keys in the truck

So I keep a truck key in the boat just in case
    "The handicapped angler"

My father dropped his on the dock at lake Cumberland and they slipped through into 70’ of water.
    Had to call the dealership in Ohio to send some code to a semi local hardware store and then a taxi brought them to us a few days later.
    That taught me a valuable lesson while around the dock or boat. This was in the 80s.

My truck has push button start, so my keys never come out of my pocket. I’ve dropped plenty of other items in the water including pliers, knives, cell phones, and rod/reels. Did watch a ski boat full of kids lose both truck and boat keys at once. Launched boat and forgot key. Guy at ramp throws keys, but came up about 10’ short. Last I saw they were taking turns diving into 15’ to try and locate.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

In a toilet once.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

15. Member
    When I was 12 I watched my cousin drop my uncle's truck keys into the lake in about 4 feet of water. We searched for them for over an hour and couldn't find them. He had to call my aunt who drove an hour to drop off a spare set. I never forgot that lesson and have hidden spare keys for all locks ever since.

No, First thing is they go in the box

17. Member
    After launching. Keys and wallet go into lock box in the boat before anything else.

18. Member
    I’ve never lost my keys while boating, but because I can’t vouch for every co-angler I’ve had—and some couldn’t find their butt with both hands—I always carry my spare truck key in the boat. I’ve brought a soft-side lunch box with me on every trip for more years than I care to remember, just big enough for a couple of energy drinks and a protein bar or two. In a side pocket resides my spare truck keys. Do this for a few decades and the habit sticks.

I launch and take a ziplock bag with a keychain floaty in it out of a boat storage box. I park the truck, put the keys in the ziplock (tested, it does float), and put them in the boat storage box. When it's time to load up, carry the ziplock to the truck. The ziplock goes back in the boat storage box.

I also put my wallet in another ziplock in that same storage box. If I fall in, keys & wallet will at least stay dry and safe.

Nope, but watched someone else lose theirs, as they bounced off the deck, when the guy who put him in, threw them to him.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast