Leaving Charge on Lithium Battery

Most things I have read, state the charger should be disconnected from the 120V power source after a Lithium battery is fully charged. I have a 36V Epoch battery and lithium charger. What is everyone doing? Will the BMS not allow over charging/trickle charging? I would rather just plug the charger in after getting home and leave it plugged in.

2. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    if you have a lifePO4 charger it will cut off when battery is charged and it will stay off unless its unplugged and plugged back in, there is no trickling on a lithium, its constant current then off , its really not going to matter if its plugged in unless the power glitches
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

3. Member
    If a charger did not turn itself off I presume the BMS will disconnect the battery from the charger at some point. Will the BMS reconnect the battery automatically at some point in time or would the charger have to be disconnected?

4. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    most all Lifepo4 chargers are a one shot charge, including NOCO and Minnkota on the lithium setting, on AGM setting they might try to come back on but battery would have to be very low, unless something is left on a lithium will never get low enough in 5 months for a charger to kick back on
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

5. Member
    I leave my Monster lithiums plugged in all the time, as the boat stays at the Marina. Once charged, it cuts off and all is good, there is no parasitic drain with them.
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

6. Member
    I think the correct answer is going to depend on the charger, and the battery. I leave my NOCO plugged in all the time with my Ionic batteries. Sometimes if it rains a bunch the ground fault breaker my charger runs on will trip. I can reset it. The charger will charge for a couple minutes then shut off again. I don't think the BMS in a quality battery is going to let a charger fry a battery. I also don't think a quality lithium charger is going to fry a battery regardless of BMS intervention. For me it's just another reason to pay a few bucks more for well know branded stuff.