Thread: Leader length

Leader length

How long of a lease do you like (fluorocarbon) when fishing moving baits. It’s seems that having the knot sit behind the 1st or 2nd eye tends to contact the guide pretty hard.I’m usually using 15lb floro with a Crazy Alberto knot.

2. Member
    37 views.....Nobody uses a leader anymore

3. Scraps
    I haven't made the jump to using braid on moving baits. Probably won't, but DrewFlu and a few others have told stories about using braid to leader for jerkbaits that has me curious. Maybe search on DrewFlu and find the thread about jerkbaits with braid. For a dropshot, I have the knot just above the reel. For a moving bait I'd think you could go quite a bit shorter.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

4. Member
    I find either the knot has to be outside of the guide train or roughly between the reel and first guide. In my mind why use a leader if it’s only say 2’
    Nitro z21

5. Scraps
    End of last season I messed with braid for topwater and I liked it a lot. Tried it on poppers and walking baits. I had read a lot about using a leader to avoid braid tangling in hooks. I tied direct and it wasn't that bad. The slight headache prolly balanced the headache of rigging a leader.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

6. Member
    I start with about 13'. Typical setup is 30# 8-strand braid FG knot to 8#-15# Seaguar Red or Daiwa J-Fluoro (lovin' the Daiwa stuff). I never notice the knot with moving baits. I'll get an eyelet/reel guide catch a couple of times, in a day of short-distance pitching a jig or T-rig.

1990 Ranger 362V Yamaha Pro-V 150
    Old Town Predator MinnKota

7. Member
    I have been utilizing a braided mainline with a fluorocarbon "shock" leader since the era of Gorilla Braid, and this combination has significantly increased my success in catching fish compared to any other mainline/leader system I've used in my 33 years of fishing for smallmouth bass. In the past four fishing seasons, I have exclusively used 30# Sunline FC100 fluorocarbon leader material for smallmouth bass fishing.

This strategy has effectively reduced pike and muskie bite-offs, and I have not lost any lures during my fishing trips in the waters of NW Wisconsin over the last two seasons. I begin with fluorocarbon "shock leaders" measuring 18 inches and retie them using the back-to-back Uni-Knot once they shorten to 8 inches or less.

The exception to this rule is when I use topwater lures; for these, I opt for a 6-inch leader and retie it with each lure change, which is infrequent due to my having dedicated rod and reel setups for most of my smallmouth bass fishing methods.

When I fish for trophy pike or muskie, I replace the fluorocarbon leader with an 18" leader of 40# RIO Wire Bite Tippet material, and it suits the vast majority of my fishing techniques without worrying about dealing with bite offs from these apex predators. For techniques that are adversely impacted by the stiffness of the 40# Wire Bite tippet material, I use the 20# version of the Wire Bite tippet material due to its more flexible nature.

Last season marked my transition to exclusively using BFS tackle, and my exploration of leaders culminated in a mix of 16# Sunline FC100 and 20# Varivas Shock Leader material, tailored to the particular lures and techniques in use. The overall experience with BFS gear was positive, and the strategic use of heavier FC leaders successfully prevented the loss of costly JDM lures.
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

My bass fishing leaders typically start at around 20ft and I consume it from there. I typically want the leader knot on the spool a wrap or two when the fish gets close to the boat.
    2020 Tracker 190 TX | 115 ProXS | 4" Jackplate | Quicksilver Q4 21P Prop | Garmin Force w/MillerTech 36v-60Ah | Livescope |

YouTube - Fishing & Lithium Battery Content: https://www.youtube.com/@goodmanfishing/videos

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goodman_fishing View Post
    My bass fishing leaders typically start at around 20ft and I consume it from there. I typically want the leader knot on the spool a wrap or two when the fish gets close to the boat.
    Me exactly.

I use a Shin knot for Braid to Fluro Leader and cut it to be twice the rod length. Then re-tie when the Knot is just outside of the tip.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Quote Originally Posted by goodman_fishing View Post
    Same for me! Prevents issues with a knot getting stuck in a guide under load if you have a fish that surges at the boat, and they cast a lot better through the guides when the cast already has some momentum going before the knot reaches the guides. Lots of reties before needing a new leader, too.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

12. Member
    I am usually somewhere between the reel and 1st guide on casting gear and 25-30 ft on spinning gear

My leader length varies depending on water clarity. I prefer using an FG knot and a trick I use to help it slide smoothly through my mid-micro guides is to coat it with Lune Outdoors Knot Sense. I don't even notice it when the knot slides through the guides.

This is with 50# Airbraid Silky and a 25# Sunline fluorocarbon shock leader. With the swimjig hooked on my reel, the knot is about half way between the reel and the first guide. The leader doesn't need to be that long right now with our lakes a bit colored from spring runoff but I can change lures during the day without having to bother with re-tying the braid 2 leader knot.

Last edited by 86 inches; 05-07-2024 at 10:35 PM.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

14. Member
    Nearly all of the reels that I use braid with is paired to a moderate to mod-fast taper rod. I use about 18" for shorter/heavier leaders for topwaters and about 3'-4' on lighter/thinner leaders. Personally, I dislike the sound of a connection knot going through the guides.
    Last edited by dragon1; 05-07-2024 at 10:10 PM.

15. Member
    3-4' at the most, I don't know why some people use leaders long enough to go into the reel, makes no sense.

16. Member
    I use braid to leader on all of my spinning rods. Alberto knot and leader length as long as stretching both arms.

17. Member
    I will add that if I plan to tie direct on the leader instead of running a snap, I will run a longer leader up to the span of my arms, so about 6'.

18. Member
    I like about 7 ft. On spinning gear. If I use that set up much I'll retie the whole thing before next trip. I don't use leaders on baitcasters.

So to sum up all of the above: Anywhere between 18 inches and 30 feet.

I think the moral of the story is to try different lengths to see what works for you and your fishing style.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    So to sum up all of the above: Anywhere between 18 inches and 30 feet.

I think the moral of the story is to try different lengths to see what works for you and your fishing style.
    BINGO.