Question No Beep on power on?

Merc 90 4 stroke Mod #1F90413ED Ser # 2B094252

Don, Ran the motor the other day, and did not hear a "Beep" when turning on the switch.... I may be completely off base, but I think remember always hearing a "Beep" when turning the key on.

I use VesselView mobile and checked the "Faults" page and no faults indicated or recorded. Also checked the FAQ's here on the board and nothing there..

Have I totally slipped over the edge?

2. Member
    If you possibly bumped your trim up/down prior to turning the key on,you won't hear a beep,as there is a short delay for I don't know what.But if you key off and wait a few seconds then key on,without trimming up/down,it should beep.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Bill- check and make sure this occurs on EVERY key-up. Intentionally turn the key on before touching any trim switches.

Some engines may not sound the horn IF you've activated trim, as trim can "wake" the PCM (horn only sounds at PCM "wake" when the key is in the on position).

A few minutes later the horn "test beep" would work normally, if this were the case.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Don and Robby -

Went out this morning and did not touch anything. Turned the key on and got the "Beep Tone" It was very low on the volume, but it was there. Tried it a couple of times to make sure I was hearing it.

Getting old and loss of hearing is not for sissies.. Thanks for the replies.

Now off to change the 2 fuel filters!

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Another thing you could do... add an LED (MUST, MUST be an LED) in parallel to the warning horn. PCM looks at the circuit while sending that "Test Beep" signal, so the LED prevents the PCM from seeing the change in resistance (LED is a one-way electrical check valve, since it's a diode).

I have some small red warning LED's here (will be in today and tomorrow, out last part of the week).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    If you trim it then start you will not get a beep. My has done it since day one.
    2021/ 200 hp 4 stroke pro xs
    2021 Triton TRX 18
    #3B051045

7. Member
    Good to know….always wondered why mine would not beep on the first crank of the day but would every time after.

I honestly don’t get this, surely this is an ecu programming consideration by Merc. I roll up at the ramp and are you saying, before I touch my tilt or trim to even remove the trailering support bracket, I need to key on first, then tilt up slightly, remove the bracket then key off. Only then will my extremely important warning alarm at start up be heard?
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thommo59 View Post
    I honestly don’t get this, surely this is an ecu programming consideration by Merc. I roll up at the ramp and are you saying, before I touch my tilt or trim to even remove the trailering support bracket, I need to key on first, then tilt up slightly, remove the bracket then key off. Only then will my extremely important warning alarm at start up be heard?
    Nope. Keep doing what you've always been doing,just know that after launching your boat,say you notice that your motor is trimmed too high,and lower it prior to turning the key on,you won't get the beep,as Don says that the trim has already "awakened"the PCM.Nothing is wrong and the motor will start and run just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby Moser View Post
    Nope. Keep doing what you've always been doing,just know that after launching your boat,say you notice that your motor is trimmed too high,and lower it prior to turning the key on,you won't get the beep,as Don says that the trim has already "awakened"the PCM.Nothing is wrong and the motor will start and run just fine.
    I understand that, what makes no sense is a programme that does not allow your critical warning horn to always prove its active, not assume because you didn’t hear it, to me it’s just a dopey idea
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thommo59 View Post
    I understand that, what makes no sense is a programme that does not allow your critical warning horn to always prove its active, not assume because you didn’t hear it, to me it’s just a dopey idea
    This does not affect the functionality of the warning horn. It simply bypasses the "PCM Wake Event" that performs the horn test.