Help please Mercury 150 Pro XS or Yamaha 150 SHO

I posted this on the Mercury forums. It was kind of hijacked but I got some useful information and appreciate the responses none the less. I am looking at building out a Vexus 1980 for my retirement boat. My main concern is reliability and durability in an outboard. It’s a $2600 upgrade to go from the Merc Pro XS 150 to the Yammy SHO 150, money I could spend elsewhere on electronics or other upgrades. Is one more reliable and durable than the other? I know I am on a Yamaha forum and there may be some bias involved in your responses but I want to hear both sides. I have owned both brands in my lifetime, all 2 cycle, but I have ZERO experience with the modern 4 strokes. ANY and ALL responses and information regarding your experiences would be greatly appreciated. As an afterthought what’s your opinion of Suzuki 150ss? Thanks in advance for you time
    Last edited by dlclane; 04-20-2024 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Forgot something in post

2. Member
    Both are good motors. Pick which one has better dealer support in your area.

I don't think you'll go wrong with either. I've got the Mercury 150 ProXS Fourstroke on my Ranger 118C, and I have two friends with similar setups. One of them has well over 200 hours on his and has had zero issues. My other friend says he's stopped to fish and started for the front deck when he realized the motor was still running. Quiet, smooth, good gas mileage, and the motor is set up so you can easily do your own maintenance. I'm really happy with mine.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasD View Post
    Both are good motors. Pick which one has better dealer support in your area.
    +1
    David Patten
    Automotive and marine technician.

5. Member
    All three are good motors. Not sure it is worth the premium for the sho when you could spend the money on something more useful. The Suzuki would probably be a hair slower, but they're often even better priced than the mercurys, so as long as you have a suzuki dealer nearby if you needed work done on it that might save you even more money, if you can live with being a couple of mph slower.