Humminbird and Garmin (likes and dislikes)

I have installed both of these brands (HB and GM) and installed both of these brands' FFS as well over the last couple of years. Just installed the LVS34 so will have more info on that later. After my 2024 install, I was thinking through the advantages and disadvantages of each brand from both an equipment quality, installation, ease of use, mapping, side imaging, FFS, etc.... standpoint. I started a list for my own use as I haven't used all of the features/accessories of both yet. I thought I would share my thoughts so far to also hear from others:

Humminbird -
    Like (HB)
    • Lakemaster mapping
    • Mega 360 option
    • Value/price and great picture you get with the Helix models
    • Heavy duty rubber covers (bungee across them still a good idea)
    • Mega Side imaging - amazing quality pics from Mega side imaging even on Helix models
    • Metal network connectors for ethernet vs plastic
    • Quick disconnect clip makes it easy to connect and disconnect (also in dislikes as well)
    • No black box for FFS
    • Software interface takes some getting use to (as any change does) but is fairly easy to use. It can get confusing if you hide a feature and need it at another point in time or if the network isn't connected the network icon doesn't show up (if I remember correctly).
    • FFS transducer is super slick and contained, it is easy to rotate to perspective and is tight to the shaft with very little extra wire needed and seems like it would not get hung easily nor get knocked off easily
    • Bigger screen on HB vs equivalent size GM (Helix 12 screen bigger than 8612)
    • Customer service is really good. I have had issues that were caused by my negligence and they just sent me a new accessory that same week (broke MegaLive off of the bracket when stowing the TM the wrong way).

Dislike (HB)
    • FFS is not as good of an image as some others (Just installed LVS34 so am making an assumption but I couldn't get ML dialed in exactly where I wanted it)
    • Quick disconnect tabs on the unit/graph itself. The quick connect clip connects via a super small plastic tab on the unit housing. This is a fatal flaw that requires the unit sent back if these tiny tabs crack, which is so easy to do. I have seen them break just by taking the quick clip on and off a few times, rough water bouncing can break them off of the actual unit, I have seen them break when shipping a unit if the quick clip is attached etc...etc... I get frustrated every time I think about this one as so much is riding on these tiny tabs.
    • Very small gauge power wires on units to connect to 8-10 gauge boat wiring
    • Power wire connection slides in and out and can become unplugged easily
    • Updates can only be done on a physical SD card vs over wifi from what I experienced on the Helix but not sure bout Apex etc...
    • Product registration is manual vs over wifi
    • Sporadic issues/slowness with network connections and recognizing other units/accessories with older network box when you max out the 5 ethernet ports
    • FFS transducer needs power and a switch
    • Units don't come with the fuses and fuse holder required for install (someone correct me if I am wrong)

Garmin -
    Like (GM)

• FFS picture/detail (just installed LVS34 so making some assumptions here)
    • FFS info available - so, so many YouTubes on Garmin Livescope about settings and usage
    • Heavier gauge power wires
    • Software updates and product registration can do done over wifi for some models
    • Units and black box comes with the fuse holder and fuses you need for installation
    • Power wire has a collar that screws on to keep it in place

Dislike (GM)
    • Separate Black box needed for FFS
    • Cover for graph is thin and doesn't hold on well (must have bungee)
    • Plastic network connector collars vs metal
    • 8612 smaller screen than Helix 12
    • FFS mounts require extra wire hanging loose to rotate to perspective and transducer seems to stick out away from shaft more than HB

others likes and dislikes?
    Last edited by CatCanDoo; 04-20-2024 at 01:56 PM.

Humminbird (Solix)

Still the best Side image but not by much these days
    Y cable works with the standard transducer (see Garmin dislikes)

DISLIKES
    Scrubs tracks – can’t use boat lane chips as it changes them
    Screen is softer than other brands and scratches very easy
    updates can cause more problems then they fix
    HB nickel and dimes you to death on adapters and accessories
    Global Network needs a complete off setting causing global conflicts (lock ups)
    processor speeds
    holds 10,000 waypoints as long as you can deal with the slowest graph ever!
    They market it as having Wi-Fi but it doesn’t work
    Bluetooth is spotty
    connection caps/covers break off way to easy
    corrupted waypoints that causes big issues (never seen this in other brands)
    HumminbirdPC is a 1990’s DOS program

GARMIN Echomap/Ultra

turn on all devices and update them all at same time from one unit
    comes pre-loaded with navionics mapping
    much more stable units
    Livescope is the best FFS on the market
    no setup required for networking (plug-n-play)
    better 2D than HB
    quick connect cradles
    you can pick and choose colors for all depths unlike HB

DISLIKES
    Garmin chooses to not allow Ecomap and GPSMAP to networked together
    you have to buy a different transducer to use a Y cable for separate high speed 2D
    Heading sensor requires NMEA network
    networked ultras are forced to turn on and off together
    "The handicapped angler"

3. Member
    I run both systems on my boat. I like HB for the lakemaster maps and interfacing with the Minnkota. I like being able to "jog" spotlock position with the Helix 10 on the console. I have and old 900 series graph on the front I use mainly for maps and 2d sonar. Minnkota, and HB units all connected via ethernet box.

I use the garmin as a stand alone unit for FFS. I'm happy with the combination of two systems. I had the HB setup and garmin was added later. Not sure what I would do if starting with a clean sheet, but might do the combination again.

We believe you might still have the plastic screen shipping protector on your unit. There should be a corner that has a colored tab to remove it. The HB units have glass screens and they should not scratch easily.

Quote Originally Posted by MichAngler View Post
    Humminbird (Solix)

Still the best Side image but not by much these days
    Y cable works with the standard transducer (see Garmin dislikes)

DISLIKES
    Screen is softer than other brands and scratches very easy

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    We believe you might still have the plastic screen shipping protector on your unit. There should be a corner that has a colored tab to remove it. The HB units have glass screens and they should not scratch easily.
    Maybe they have changed the screen type I have a Gen 1 Solix and no the shipping film is not on it

I have both HB and Garmin and you can feel the difference in the screens by tapping on them and just rubbing your finger a cross them
    Even cleaning water spots off them you can see/feel a difference in them
    Garmin feels and sounds like glass and HB is like a very hard plastic

Didn’t take me a week to put a small scratch in the Solix screen
    I’ve sense added a Graph glass to the Solix
    Last edited by MichAngler; 04-21-2024 at 06:50 AM.
    "The handicapped angler"

6. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I run both on my boats as well. I was running all three brands at one point but the Garmins replaced the Lowrances in the last year and a bit. I've left all the wiring for the Lowrances in place and can put them back at any time.
    Here's my $.02 wrt HB and Garmin in no particular order.....

- I think Garmin nailed the "cable connector dilemma" with the cradle for the Echomap (but make sure the Echomap is locked in properly - no need to ask me how I know.....).
    - I've always hated that I could not re-size panes on the Onix/Solix/Apex but when they added the 70/30 ability, that was good enough for me to get an Apex - I sometime like a sliver of a map with looking at 360 or Mega LIVE and 30% of the screen is fine as that's what I would use on a Helix 12 or 15.
    - None of the install stuff matters to me because everything goes through a fuse block to a dedicated electronics battery with a switch.
    - HB isn't the only nickle and dime store in town - Garmin wants over another $100 from me to get the lake level offset feature on their maps.
    - The most recent software updates for Mega LIVE put it on par for open water and light cover fishing with the others. LVS-34 is still the king of the hill for picking stuff out in hydrilla and heavier cover.
    - HB has Target Lock. If you fish in heavy current and/or wind like I do 90% of the time, FFS without a motorized turret is almost useless unless you want to spend your day fighting with the trolling motor. Having a motorized turret that can work in tandem with a sonar and trolling motor is even better.
    - Updating with an app over wi-fi has never sat well with me as there are so many things that can go wrong and it is such a pain to "undo". I only do updates with an SD card. I've owned HB's since the 997 days and have never had an issue updating an HB head unit or accessory. I've done 2 updates on the Garmins and no issues there either.
    - Requiring Active Captain to update a Garmin unit is a PIA but that's probably more me being a grump than anything.
    - All brands could be better by making available a "base" version that can be installed at anytime to back out of an update gone wrong and/or and update that broke stuff that wasn't broke before (HB is terrible for doing this).
    - Active Captain and offline maps on Samsung tablets and phones doesn't work. I need a wi-fi connection to see the maps. An incident with Garmin CS was opened - hope I don't have to hold my breath.
    - On the Echomap Ultra, need to hit the Back button a lot to get out of some menus but this could also be a lack of knowledge on this user's part. I just installed an Ultra 2 yesterday and it appears to have a "X" to get out of any menu.
    - Was disappointed in the NMEA 2000 screens I could put together on the Echomap Ultra but that could also be a lack of knowledge. Haven't seen what the Ultra 2 has to offer. I like the way Lowrance let me build my own NMEA 2000 screens. HB was in-between the two but NMEA 200 has never been an HB "thing" so I would prefer to use the Garmin who have been in the NMEA 2000 game a long time.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

I agree Active Captain can be a pain and like you I do all my updates via an SD card
    And you’re not wrong about Garmin’s NMEA displays they could use some upgrades

But as for map prices at least Garmin comes with a decent set of charts pre-loaded HB’s base map is nothing more than an outline of a lake
    You can spend a lot more buying HB charts than you can with Garmin

As for updates Garmin does offer a forced update option to load a previous version
    https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?fa...kXAjRpH9FhJ1u8
    "The handicapped angler"

8. Member
    You guys pretty well covered it all. I went from a humminbird system to a garmin, and personally the biggest issue for me was the reliability and performance of the hummingbird software. It just seemed day to day whether it would need reboots or hard resets to work and god forbid you get too many waypoints or tracks. That and the waypoint management is flat out embarrassing on humminbird.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

9. Member
    I will add another plus for HB customer service. Had the quick connector tab break on a Helix 10 G4N back connector. I purchased the unit in 2021 and called them today about it and it was out of warranty. They still said they would repair it and emailed me a UPS shipping label and said give them 3-5 days to replace the back cover of my unit free of charge and apologized for the issue. I know it is a known issue but my unit was almost 3 years old and they didn’t hesitate to instantly put a UPS label in my inbox while on the phone. Nice!

A little over a year ago an update bricked both my Gen 1 Solix’s HB was happy to fix it for free but I had to ship them there on my dime
    You don’t want to know what it cost to insure two Solix’s for full value
    That was the last time I did an update
    They did give me 2 free covers and a free copy of chart select but that covered about half the cost
    "The handicapped angler"

11. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    I'm all Lowrance, but still an interesting thread...........

Thanks guys,, lot of info in this thread!!
    Especially if you are sitting here with finger on trigger thinking upgrading!
    22 BassCat Lynx
    22Mercury proXS
    Hummingbird/garmin
    ALX rods/Shimano /Lews
    Maxwell Flying inc

Quote Originally Posted by MichAngler View Post
    A little over a year ago an update bricked both my Gen 1 Solix’s HB was happy to fix it for free but I had to ship them there on my dime
    You don’t want to know what it cost to insure two Solix’s for full value
    That was the last time I did an update
    They did give me 2 free covers and a free copy of chart select but that covered about half the cost
    Next time you ship any package used pirate ship.
    2010 Basscat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 175 Pro XS 4 Stroke